Simpsons Season 21

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

officespace
VIHC Poster

Simpsons Season 21

Post by officespace »

Season premier was on Sunday. Did anyone other than Warren and I catch it? Anyways here's my review of it(I only do short reviews for the new ones).

Just watched the episode. God awful. One plot was a rehash of How I Spent My Strummer Vaction(Even worse than it as hard as that may seem to do) and the other was just I don't even know just complete crap. Basic plot secondary character has something to do and just soo happens Homer and Bart are invited for a completely stupid reason. It's followed by lame gag after gag about European culture(voice acting was brutal) and capped off by an absolutely brutal hash gag. Fucking bad. Lisa's plot line was filled with songs that were boring,forced and rigid. Also with guest stars that were terrible and used in the way neaarly every guest star has been used for the post classic era(Playing themselves or rather themselves with a slight twist). Roofi got brought back ugggghhhhh and the fat camp joke was stupid and family guy esque. The ending was the only thing that gave me a chuckle. With the " Of course we didn't teach her anything" line and him dropping the sandwhich. But Sprubway is a brutal parody and soo was Sprooklyn(wow they jsut keep on discovering new places in Springfield)

Overall Grade= D
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Re: Simpsons Season 21

Post by Hollow »

Lets be honest: there hasnt been a decent episode since season twelve, and there hasnt been a great season since season nine. This show should have died a long long time ago, and this is from someone whos been a fan since the shows chistmas special in '90.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
reece
Poutine & Chicken Fries

Post by reece »

Willa is so old.
Human-Demise wrote: that cause your an anti-semite.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

I happily have no concept of seasons of the Simpsons. I watch it maybe twice a year as a random re-run and I'm content with that. Which season episodes are from is lost on me.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

ive been a fan for as long as i can remember, where most people say the show stopped being good, i felt it was still wonderful. but but but in most recent years the past 3-4 season where terrible, I think on average one possible two episodes where ok, and this season premier was fucking atrocious. I'm a big fan of flight of the concords, but even they couldnt save this, it felt like their part was written by someone who had only seen one or two episodes of their show.

plus it was a lisa centred episode, and those are always crap.
officespace wrote:...With the " Of course we didn't teach her anything" line and him dropping the sandwhich...
ditto.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Hollow wrote:Lets be honest: there hasnt been a decent episode since season twelve, and there hasnt been a great season since season nine. This show should have died a long long time ago, and this is from someone whos been a fan since the shows chistmas special in '90.
This statement is false. Coming from a person who has seen episode twice. seasons 13-16 are far better than seasons 10-12. There has been a couple of good episodes in the post classic era(ill agree these are rare and barely match up to the classic era) but to say there has been no decent episodes is incredibly inaccurate.

-Warren
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

I mark for Flight of the Conchords, so I actually thought that was pretty funny. I fell asleep halfway through the episode. Won't bother rewatching it.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

officespace wrote:
Hollow wrote:Lets be honest: there hasnt been a decent episode since season twelve, and there hasnt been a great season since season nine. This show should have died a long long time ago, and this is from someone whos been a fan since the shows chistmas special in '90.
This statement is false. Coming from a person who has seen episode twice. seasons 13-16 are far better than seasons 10-12. There has been a couple of good episodes in the post classic era(ill agree these are rare and barely match up to the classic era) but to say there has been no decent episodes is incredibly inaccurate.

-Warren
i agree.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Human-Demise wrote: plus it was a lisa centred episode, and those are always crap.

UHHHHHHHHHH. Absolutely not. Lisa's Sub,Lisa The Greek,Homer Vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment,Lisa's Pony,Seperate Vocations,Summer Of Four Ft. 2,Lisa Vs Malibu Stacy are all brilliant episodes and all in my top 30 except Vocations.Lisa centered episodes are often the best episodes of the classic era people just say Lisa episodes are crap b/c her character has become so flanderized and was the center of some terrible episodes during Scully's tenure.
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

officespace wrote:
Human-Demise wrote: plus it was a lisa centred episode, and those are always crap.

UHHHHHHHHHH. Absolutely not. Lisa's Sub,Lisa The Greek,Homer Vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment,Lisa's Pony,Seperate Vocations,Summer Of Four Ft. 2,Lisa Vs Malibu Stacy are all brilliant episodes and all in my top 30 except Vocations.Lisa centered episodes are often the best episodes of the classic era people just say Lisa episodes are crap b/c her character has become so flanderized and was the center of some terrible episodes during Scully's tenure.
lisa sub, Separate Vocations and summer of four ft 2 were the only one in that list i'd consider good.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

The 2nd episode of the season has aired here's my review

Two shitty episodes in a row not a big suprise. I felt both plots were relatively weak and nothing to them. Lisa's was decent but it was filled many lame scene and even shittier dialogue "Look it's Mark Zuckerburg". I mean I know the Simpsons now a days can't use guest stars decently but to introduce a character like that is idiotic and the facebook update thing was predictable and boring(althought the Haw-Haw thing wasn't too bad. Also I never really remember Nelson being that stupid. The whole bring up "Lisa's Date With Density" wasn't done terribly although the roller skating thing was stupid gag. But at least Lisa felt sort of in character. The Marge/Homer sub plot was boring and really went nowhere. It was filled with terrible gags like the to catch a predator parody,the cardboard box etc. Both plots had pretty bad endings as well. Lastly the set up for the whole episode was "meh" and basically set up what was to be a predictable episode.

Gags I liked: The Chalmers Skinner scene wasn't bad and the honorary degree made me chuckle.

Overall Grade : C-

-Darren
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

parts i liked. Muhammad Yunus. and the skinner chalmers scene.

also i just realized the title of this thread is wrong. the season currently airing is season 22.
xchadx
notable fraudster/loser nerd/homophobe

Post by xchadx »

Last edited by xchadx on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Human-Demise wrote:parts i liked. Muhammad Yunus. and the skinner chalmers scene.

also i just realized the title of this thread is wrong. the season currently airing is season 22.
Yeah The thread title is mistake on my part whoops. Also the Yunus part was decent but the whole touching my nose reeks of extended gag to kill time. Also itchy and scratchy has become rather stagnant and useless. It's become more focused on making grand episodes rather than just show in sight into the episode and relay the plot so the children of Springfield can see it. Sort of us watching them watching themselves. The couch gag in the episode was also pathetic
Brian
Probably not a spambot

Post by Brian »

reece wrote:Willa is so old.
He's also correct. The Simpsons should have died a long long time ago. At least live action shows generally tend to only go on a couple seasons longer than they should (*cough* X-files *cough*) as opposed to staying on a full decade too long.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

MoneyBART

The first decent episode of the season. Sports episodes are ones writers can usually do well even post classic era writers. This one was written by Tim Long who is one of the better writers of the post classic era. Although in this episode the 1st act heavily outweighed the next 3(Fuck 4 ACTS!!!). The 1st act at the pace it was rolling was setting the episode to be in the tops of at least the HD era of the show but the episode did falter. Although the ending was rather sweet with Lisa and Bart bonding over a thing they loved dearly for sifferent reasons. The couch gag was alos great I'm not usually a fan of the long couch gags but this one was animated beautiully and actually said something(even if it wasn't something 100% new) All in all some laughs and luckily no stupid sub-plot.But this episode sort of felt like My Sister My Sitter except surrounded by baseball and some meta jokes(Mike Scioscia!!!!!)

Not my best review w/e Overall Grade : C+

-Darren

PS I have my Simpsons blog up and running now. http://www.4-fforever.blogspot.com/
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

officespace wrote:MoneyBART

The first decent episode of the season. Sports episodes are ones writers can usually do well even post classic era writers. This one was written by Tim Long who is one of the better writers of the post classic era. Although in this episode the 1st act heavily outweighed the next 3(Fuck 4 ACTS!!!). The 1st act at the pace it was rolling was setting the episode to be in the tops of at least the HD era of the show but the episode did falter. Although the ending was rather sweet with Lisa and Bart bonding over a thing they loved dearly for sifferent reasons. The couch gag was alos great I'm not usually a fan of the long couch gags but this one was animated beautiully and actually said something(even if it wasn't something 100% new) All in all some laughs and luckily no stupid sub-plot.But this episode sort of felt like My Sister My Sitter except surrounded by baseball and some meta jokes(Mike Scioscia!!!!!)

Not my best review w/e Overall Grade : C+

-Darren

PS I have my Simpsons blog up and running now. http://www.4-fforever.blogspot.com/
i actually saw this episode as i was at my parents. first new simpsons episode i have seen since mid 2005. I haven't watched any since then not even that movie they did. Weird as i remember getting to stay up a bit later when i was really young to watch simpsons. so 94-02 prob saw every episode in those seasons. 02-05 most but also more sporadic as i got out more on sunday nights.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
LAxPB
VIOLENCE AGAINST VIOLENCE

Post by LAxPB »

flanderized
I really like that this word has a definition on Urban Dictionary.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

The Frink part of the opening was terrible. The Office parody was okay and I sort of smiled at it.

War and Pieces:Complete garbage. Extremely rushed plots and useless gags about board games. They tried so hard to cram every character into it and mention every game it came off as random jokes strung together in hopes of creating a plot. The whole creating new names for the board games was stupid but if it's one thing writers in this era like to do it's come up with stupid lampoons. Lastly a fucking Jumanji parody in 2010 who the fuck thought now would be good time to do that??
Grade: D

Master and Cadaver: I actually enjoyed this segement somewhat. I thought it was genuinely creepy. But of course in Jean era fashion the ending is complete stupidity with Homer killing everyone. CWO reference was nice and made me actually remember when the Simpsons had references to good/memorable movies.

Grade: C+

Tweenlight: I was actually surprised by this one. After a lackluster beginning with the whole vehicle thing the segment was somewhat enjoyable. The Flanders gag along with the Milhouse poodle were the highlights. But once again The Simpsons is a show where they should be targeting such easy targets. But at least the current staff could handle a Twilight parody.

Grade: C

Overall the episode parodied two movies no one gives a fuck about and one movie everyone hates. Overall grade : C
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Lisa Simpson This Isn't Your Life:

Didn't Homer meet Marge weeks before prom?? How could he have done that much to her grades?? Also they didn't see each other and Marge hated him. But ignoring that the episode was still boring with one joked I really liked "It's not Milhouse!". The episode was filled with gags that didn't really spark any interest in me and few that dragged out too long(Homer trying to get the elf). Willie screaming was the worst gag of the season so far. Bart's subplot was somewhat enjoyable the Kerney gag wasn't bad but the plot ended rather abruptly. Of course the return to the status quo was a rehash of a episode(Lisa's Pony) except it contained no emotional value. The ending was ok but the no glass part in the first place was a gag that dragged on.

Overall Grade : C-