Books you are currently reading

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Andrew
Sea bass

Re: Books you are currently reading

Post by Andrew »

Hollow wrote:Inferno is basically a medieval diss track that went triple platinum.
:)
PaulyHC
STREET BY STREET

Post by PaulyHC »

right now im reading

slept on reading this for a long time, thoroughly enjoying it
Text message from Troy "honest dude" Lemberg 07-07-2010

"hey do you have any pot for sale"

^^ verbatim
Gingerrism
Probably not a spambot

Post by Gingerrism »

Hollow wrote: It gets better than that! The whole reason Dante wrote the damn book in the first place is because he was exiled from Florence. If you read the book closely enough (or were alive back then and knew who all the people he's talking about are) apparently 90% of the characters in the book were people he personally knew and blamed for his exile. It ended up printing and selling around 600 copies.

Inferno is basically a medieval diss track that went triple platinum.

EDIT: Fact checked.
Which in general makes it all SO MUCH BETTER! Really, it doesn't get much better than a bitter dude who creates his own version of hell then sends all the people he hates to it for different reasons
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Gingerrism wrote:
Hollow wrote: It gets better than that! The whole reason Dante wrote the damn book in the first place is because he was exiled from Florence. If you read the book closely enough (or were alive back then and knew who all the people he's talking about are) apparently 90% of the characters in the book were people he personally knew and blamed for his exile. It ended up printing and selling around 600 copies.

Which in general makes it all SO MUCH BETTER! Really, it doesn't get much better than a bitter dude who creates his own version of hell then sends all the people he hates to it for different reasons

This is basically why I love Integrity.

Pauly: that is one of my all time favorite books. I'm stoked you're reading it.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

Hollow wrote:
Gingerrism wrote:

This is basically why I love Integrity.

Pauly: that is one of my all time favorite books. I'm stoked you're reading it.
Also one of my favorite books!
Noelle CDP
VIHC Poster

Post by Noelle CDP »

Yeah there's some stuff I didn't agree with in some of Crimethinc's books....such as the part homeless and hungry being a sign your not doing it right. But I haven't seen that in the more recent stuff. For the most I enjoy the writting about the adventures.

Thanks for the suggestion i'll check out the Gunslinger series.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Noelle CDP wrote:Yeah there's some stuff I didn't agree with in some of Crimethinc's books....such as the part homeless and hungry being a sign your not doing it right. But I haven't seen that in the more recent stuff. For the most I enjoy the writting about the adventures.

Thanks for the suggestion i'll check out the Gunslinger series.

I definitely wouldn't suggest that Crimethinc is completely without merit. There are some really intelligent and well-spoken people who write under that label. However, there are so many, many more that seem to think that the worlds problems can be solved if we all just...you know...PARTY! WHOOO!!

If you're reading it mainly for the adventures, I think you're doing it right.

Definitely let me know what you think about the Gunslinger. Those books are awesome.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

To Become a Human Being: The message of Tadodaho Chief Leon Shenandoah
Victoria Straight Edge
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

evan wrote:Image
I don't know if I have read this one. I usually like books about straight edge. How is it?
Victoria Straight Edge
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Jordan f. wrote:
evan wrote:Image
I don't know if I have read this one. I usually like books about straight edge. How is it?

I've actually heard good things. Wolf and I were drunkenly talking about it Saturday, and he said he actually dug it. We have it at Black Raven, just pop in and read a couple of chapters sometime.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

Now that my classes are finished i have started reading The Sirens of Titan -- that I put on hold in September -- as well as Naked Lunch, and Frankenstein.
VIVA like
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

I just started Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris.
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

officespace wrote:I just started Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris.

David Sedaris is one of the best essayists going right now. Have you read Me Talk Pretty One Day?
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

I don't know about Darren but yeah I have read it. Just started looking at in Chapters one day and ended up reading it all in a day.

-Warren
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Sedaris does that. You don't mean to read it all, but then you look up and it's two in the morning.
grungePIG
VIHC Poster

Post by grungePIG »

underworld by don delillo
amaaaaaazing.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

vancouver: city of glass by Douglas copeland, rules for radicals by saul alinsky, and portions from a wine stained notebook by charles bukowski.
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

The Quiet American-Alexis Greene
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

re-reading The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

I don't get around to reading much in the last year, but now that my XBOX live is up and I'm not going to renew it (and yes, I know that's a lame excuse) I finally finished Goodbye 20th Century: A History of Sonic Youth, and have just started Eating The Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman. He's my favorite writer so I'm excited about reading it, finally.