OPEN RELATIONSHIP / MASS MARRIAGE show at TALK'S CHEAP

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Re: OPEN RELATIONSHIP / MASS MARRIAGE show at TALK'S CHEAP

Post by Human-Demise »

maybe its just me but I've always preferred good music, to bands saying something witty in between songs/or leaping around while playing.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

Human-Demise wrote:maybe its just me but I've always preferred good music, to bands saying something witty in between songs/or leaping around while playing.
The Mika Miko factor is crucial.

And also I have this theory about girls in the music scene...

I work with kids all day and I always see boys exude this toughness, as if they're capable of playing certain games better than the girls. When the girls try to join in, the boys act like the girls are just getting in the way because they suck SO BAD at wall ball or soccer or whatever. At the very least, the girls aren't really invited for that sort of thing. So the boys play these games together all the time and after awhile they actually do get better at kicking balls around just by practicing.

A lot of girls start going to shows in our early teens just like boys. But when we look onstage at shows we see mostly male musicians. After a few years of sticking around, girls tend to start participating by promoting/postering/taking pictures/working door/dating dudes in bands instead of joining a shitty 3-chord punk band when we're 16 like many boys do. A lot of girls don't realize that we're totally capable of playing music until later and by that point we've lost practice time. So to avoid the whole playground-wallball scenario I described above, it's important not to dis girls who are just learning how to play or treat us like we're not serious musicians. Instead, jam with us and make sure we are in bands and onstage!

(To be clear, I don't just want to book Open Relationship for the sake of punk rock affirmative action...I'm stoked that they're girls but they also look like a band that's creative, fun to watch and fun to dance to. I want to see them!)
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

(And also what I just said about supporting girl musicians is what pretty much everyone has been doing so far on this thread. Moot point? Perhaps.)
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

just to note i wasnt slaming the bands in any way. I've never heard them yet so i cant form an opinion on that just that i like the weird sentiment that goes on that most people seem to prefer how energetic a band is and how they act as opposed to wether or not the songs are actually good.

but im also of the opinion that you need to be able to play to make good music (which seems to be an unpopular opinion.)
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

kay wrote:(And also what I just said about supporting girl musicians is what pretty much everyone has been doing so far on this thread. Moot point? Perhaps.)
Ebony and I talked about maybe getting All For The Best over to Vic for a show and doing it with Victim's Choice and Open Relationship. I think it'd be cool to have a bill with women in every band, it's mostly unheard of in hardcore and punk in this area. In fact before Wolfgang's show at his shop, I don't think I've heard of a show in Vic of Van where the bands were lady-centric in years.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Honestly Warren and I wouldn't be able to get to the point we're in with bands without Jill and Steph as they do the most putting up with our stuff/Jill being a drummer. But yeah for the most part women in bands is stupidly low. Also yeah we want to play the island whenever!!! It would be tight!!
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
ebony
VIHC Poster

Post by ebony »

Andrew wrote:
kay wrote:(And also what I just said about supporting girl musicians is what pretty much everyone has been doing so far on this thread. Moot point? Perhaps.)
Ebony and I talked about maybe getting All For The Best over to Vic for a show and doing it with Victim's Choice and Open Relationship. I think it'd be cool to have a bill with women in every band, it's mostly unheard of in hardcore and punk in this area. In fact before Wolfgang's show at his shop, I don't think I've heard of a show in Vic of Van where the bands were lady-centric in years.
Yes yes yes!
grind/bro wrote:
The front should say VAN ISLE HARDCORE in dripping blood font, with Jesus being impaled on a railway spike with goats dancing around him. The goats must also have bullet belts.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Human-Demise wrote:maybe its just me but I've always preferred good music, to bands saying something witty in between songs/or leaping around while playing.
Random people: You should move around more when your playing
Me: I'd rather sound good.

Now mind you, it's always sweet to see a band go fucking apeshit live, but not at the cost of sounding good. I'll take good music over sweet stage moves any day.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

kay wrote:
The Mika Miko factor is crucial.

And also I have this theory about girls in the music scene...

I work with kids all day and I always see boys exude this toughness, as if they're capable of playing certain games better than the girls. When the girls try to join in, the boys act like the girls are just getting in the way because they suck SO BAD at wall ball or soccer or whatever. At the very least, the girls aren't really invited for that sort of thing. So the boys play these games together all the time and after awhile they actually do get better at kicking balls around just by practicing.

A lot of girls start going to shows in our early teens just like boys. But when we look onstage at shows we see mostly male musicians. After a few years of sticking around, girls tend to start participating by promoting/postering/taking pictures/working door/dating dudes in bands instead of joining a shitty 3-chord punk band when we're 16 like many boys do. A lot of girls don't realize that we're totally capable of playing music until later and by that point we've lost practice time. So to avoid the whole playground-wallball scenario I described above, it's important not to dis girls who are just learning how to play or treat us like we're not serious musicians. Instead, jam with us and make sure we are in bands and onstage!

(To be clear, I don't just want to book Open Relationship for the sake of punk rock affirmative action...I'm stoked that they're girls but they also look like a band that's creative, fun to watch and fun to dance to. I want to see them!)
I see your point, and agree with it for the most part, but I think it's also worth noting that my experience was pretty much not realizing I could play music/being taken seriously as a musician until I was actually in a band. There seems to be this unspoken attitude that unless you've been in bands before you shouldn't be in a band. It's like trying to find a job for the first time and you keep getting turned away because you don't have any experience even though everybody started from nothing at one point. I would have probably never been in a band unless somebody asked me to jam despite my prior experience being limited to shitty joke tracks that consisted of 15 minute long 3 chord break downs because my confidence as musician wasn't the greatest because before then nobody wanted to be in a band with me because I hadn't been in any serious bands. People need to jam with new musicians in general. I can understand the apprehension to start a band with somebody who doesn't have any experience, but anybody who has ever touched an instrument has been in that situation where the people they're jamming with are head a shoulders above them so they just improve that much faster too keep up. Everybody should jam with new musicians if for no reason other than it will keep our community thriving.

I also think that one of the reason there aren't as many girls in punk rock/metal is because punk rock/metal dudes are terrified of girls because they never learned how to talk to them but it's so much easier to take out that anxiety by excluding girls than to recognize it's a flaw in one's self and work to improve it. It's the same as guys who complain about not being able to get girls because they're "too nice" and girls like "assholes." Instead of recognizing that they're too scared to cowboy up and tell a girl that they like them it's easier to make everybody else the one with the problem. Except in this instance instead of recognizing that they're socially awkward and working on that it's easier to just exclude girls so that you don't have to worry about *gasp* talking to them like they're people. Shit, that's probably where misogyny in general stems from. Socially inept dudes who don't want to work on a bit of self improvement.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

ebony wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Yes yes yes!
Medusa got a new drummer and we'll be looking for shows soon. We would love to play on a bill like this!
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

I know it's important for girls to play in bands. It is encouraging and shows others they can do it to. I am in full support. I am not gonna argue or deny this. But at the end of the day, as long as it's sweet jams, I couldn't care less what's between your legs.
Victoria Straight Edge
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

Also, I still need to see Open Relationship. Gotta step my game up!
Victoria Straight Edge
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

kay wrote:Medusa got a new drummer and we'll be looking for shows soon. We would love to play on a bill like this!
What's the story on Medusa?
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

AK47?
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

Andrew wrote:
kay wrote:Medusa got a new drummer and we'll be looking for shows soon. We would love to play on a bill like this!
Our drummer went out of town for 3 months then came back for 2 weeks then decided she wanted to leave forever! But now we have a new drummer.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

kay wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Our drummer went out of town for 3 months then came back for 2 weeks then decided she wanted to leave forever! But now we have a new drummer.
No, I mean what style of music and such.
trappedinside
Posting while trapped inside an elevator

Post by trappedinside »

as far as contacting Open Relationship i swiped this off facebook, not sure if it's up to date but it should be Melissa (the drummer)'s email:
mae@uvic.ca
or try their myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/stickandpokeyourname
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

Andrew wrote:
kay wrote:
Andrew wrote:
No, I mean what style of music and such.
Oh...

I'd say we're somewhere in the post punk/dance punk neighborhood with a heavy riot grrrl influence. There's a keytar involved.

I already tried myspace with no luck. Thanks for the email address!
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Good way to get on this bill is to do the show. ;)
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:cowboy up
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.