April 22nd

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

officespace
VIHC Poster

Re: April 22nd

Post by officespace »

Hollow wrote:
officespace wrote:Meh we've done shows on less than like 2-3 weeks notice and still went off well. Some people just over do how hard it is to put on shows. Good luck Alexis! Show is on our 19th birrrthday!

In Vancouver. Victoria is a completely different beast. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you really don't know what you're talking about on this one. I'd like Alexis to put on shows, but I'd also like him to be successful so he doesn't quit after one show.
In Langley. About the same size as Victoria ;)
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

I hope Alexis learned a valuable lesson here. Never try.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

Willa Simpson: shattering dreams since 1981
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
xchadx
notable fraudster/loser nerd/homophobe

Post by xchadx »

Last edited by xchadx on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

for real Willa is right about planning a show two weeks away in a city that doesn't really get huge draws - and planning the entire thing to be at someone's house. doing house shows takes almost all the burden off the promoter and puts it on whoever lives at the house. that's why troy and I usually just did our own shows at the house.

if you're throwing together a show, I agree that it should be at least a month away, hopefully at a rented hall, and with proper postering. that's how shows are supposed to be and we only started doing regular house shows because the turnouts got more and more dismal for shows with headlining bands that were pretty much unknown. if you made a list of all the house shows that have happened in victoria over the last few years, you'd find that probably 95% of them were put on by the people living there. the troyler shows were almost always bands that troy and/or me really, really, really loved and wanted to see.

if you're putting your living space up, then you call the shots as to which bands play and when they play, and there's no need for a "promoter".

the whole idea of a promoter is a responsible role that puts a lot of time and money on the line.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

I agree with what people have said about venues. House shows are not an easy way of getting around renting a hall. If you want to promote one or two shows to try it out a hall is best.

As far as postering goes, I've never gotten that into it. I think word of mouth, having the right bands, handbilling at shows leading up to the date, forums like this and facebook (as much as I like to say it) can all be used in combination with a couple strategically placed posters (in record shops and such).

Alexis, if you want to get a feel for promoting I can let you know when I'm pulling together my next show and you can help me out, how about that?
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

kay wrote:I agree with what people have said about venues. House shows are not an easy way of getting around renting a hall. If you want to promote one or two shows to try it out a hall is best.

As far as postering goes, I've never gotten that into it. I think word of mouth, having the right bands, handbilling at shows leading up to the date, forums like this and facebook (as much as I like to say it) can all be used in combination with a couple strategically placed posters (in record shops and such).

Alexis, if you want to get a feel for promoting I can let you know when I'm pulling together my next show and you can help me out, how about that?
I don't know if you're putting on shows at halls or just through your house, but postering is pretty essential for larger draw shows. You're not going to get 200 people show up to a good show if they don't know it's happening. For a house show where you only want to see maybe 50 people tops, hand bills and facebook/word of mouth will do just fine.

also, Alexis. you should take kay up on this offer to help out. It's a great opportunity to get a feel for what goes down.

If you have bands expecting money or a hall that expects to be paid, you should have this money saved up before hand, so in case not a single person shows up, those bands/venue gets paid and the band will come back again and the venue will rent the hall out again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

firstly I would just like to thank everybody for the love, general interest, suggestions, offers of help, kindly sage advice, and the positive vibes.
i will most likely re-schedule this to a later date, if that happens i can probably get a headliner I know you'd guys would be stoked on.

also when this does happen tyler/gibas I'm expecting some serious poetry deep from the heart man.

kay wrote:Alexis, if you want to get a feel for promoting I can let you know when I'm pulling together my next show and you can help me out, how about that?
yes, this sound like a very good opportunity, I would very much appreciate helping out.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

Human-Demise wrote:
dalamar501 wrote:provide house? So you aren't even going to try for a venue like most promoters do
i like house shows better, more intimate.
but really, can afford the event centre, dont like ambrosia very much. definitely cant afford the legion on gorge. the only venue i can afford is the langford legion, and thats out of the way for a lot of people.

also this would be my first show ive ever put on, you think you could cut me a little slack?

What is you're impression of what these venues cost?

Event Centre is cheap on early weekdays and the legion on gorge is actually very reasonably priced cheaper than ambrosia and the legion.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

back in the day we had lots of $20/hr to $50/hr venues... garry oak room, orange hall, little fernwood, sunset room, bayanihan

but they raised their prices or were ruined by irresponsible promoters and stupid kids
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

dalamar501 wrote:What is you're impression of what these venues cost?.
obviously not much.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

officespace wrote:
Hollow wrote:
officespace wrote:Meh we've done shows on less than like 2-3 weeks notice and still went off well. Some people just over do how hard it is to put on shows. Good luck Alexis! Show is on our 19th birrrthday!

In Vancouver. Victoria is a completely different beast. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you really don't know what you're talking about on this one. I'd like Alexis to put on shows, but I'd also like him to be successful so he doesn't quit after one show.
In Langley. About the same size as Victoria ;)

Langley is not on an island. That changes how EVERYTHING is done. Sorry, original statement stands ;) . (PS GET YOUR BAND OUT HERE AND PLAY YOU JERKS)

Also, I stand by everything I said. I want Alexis to do shows, but I also don't want him to lose his shirt/alienate people. Which is the direction he was going in.

Alexis, I'm going to offer the same thing as Kay, next time I'm doing a show you are welcome to shadow me on everything (if you want) and get a feel for how I do things. That's really the best way to learn. You should follow Kay, too, because she does things slightly differently than I do, but is also very successful at it. Get all the info you can.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

Pretty much everyone else does things in a different manner for putting on shows.

I started doing shows and based it basically off of how Tyler had run a show the year previous for his first show/bday show which i helped out at and also from watching Brian and Jodi put on shows
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

There are only 2 reasons people put on shows and they are to validate themselves within the scene and to shamelessly promote their band. Based on some of the comments you could stand to benefit from both so I say fuck everyone and dive right in, its not really rocket science you book a room, confirm bands to play and make sure kids come. The only one that really matters is the make sure kids come part. So when some tells you they wanna play a set of poetry you kindly tell them to get fucked because they are making fun of you and you wanna be a least a little bit respected to be in the position you wanna put yourself in. Save your pennies and book a rad band of your choice put yourself on the bill. Being that you have put yourself on the bill you wanna make sure you dont put any other shitty bands on the bill, Im not insulting you or your band but if your band was awesome you wouldnt need to book shows, but you do I respect the hussle. People are gonna tell you all about how thankless it is, but remember that your band is now playing with bands you wouldnt normally be playing with and your making sure kids come so kids are actually watching your band so dont listen to them. Learn how to make a dope flyer. Dont let broke fools and coat racks spoil your bottem line they are your volunteers so remembe that respect bit.
eg give rad vancouver band lets say set foot a call say yo noogz Ill give 200 bucks for the ferry and a case a beer to come play the island they will say yes cause noogz loves beer
give locals lets say no eulogy or raw war because they are good and willing to hang they are playing for free
humane demise is gonna round out the bill
Give logans a call cause uncle puff wants to get twisted
you will not get that 200 bucks back but you will be seen as a little bit more legit and before too long decent tours will contact you and you can always say no to the scab tours

I hope this has been informative
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:There are only 2 reasons people put on shows and they are to validate themselves within the scene and to shamelessly promote their band. Based on some of the comments you could stand to benefit from both so I say fuck everyone and dive right in, its not really rocket science you book a room, confirm bands to play and make sure kids come. The only one that really matters is the make sure kids come part. So when some tells you they wanna play a set of poetry you kindly tell them to get fucked because they are making fun of you and you wanna be a least a little bit respected to be in the position you wanna put yourself in. Save your pennies and book a rad band of your choice put yourself on the bill. Being that you have put yourself on the bill you wanna make sure you dont put any other shitty bands on the bill, Im not insulting you or your band but if your band was awesome you wouldnt need to book shows, but you do I respect the hussle. People are gonna tell you all about how thankless it is, but remember that your band is now playing with bands you wouldnt normally be playing with and your making sure kids come so kids are actually watching your band so dont listen to them. Learn how to make a dope flyer. Dont let broke fools and coat racks spoil your bottem line they are your volunteers so remembe that respect bit.
eg give rad vancouver band lets say set foot a call say yo noogz Ill give 200 bucks for the ferry and a case a beer to come play the island they will say yes cause noogz loves beer
give locals lets say no eulogy or raw war because they are good and willing to hang they are playing for free
humane demise is gonna round out the bill
Give logans a call cause uncle puff wants to get twisted
you will not get that 200 bucks back but you will be seen as a little bit more legit and before too long decent tours will contact you and you can always say no to the scab tours

I hope this has been informative

This post has made me question everything I know about life.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

the only thing i want to add is i dont think my band is crappy, just that we dont get booked cause most of the shows are punk shows and we're grind. we don't really fit well. but everything else puffin said.

id do another show at logans, i dont think there was anything about that show that was a negative experience, other than the drummers cymbals disappearing.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:There are only 2 reasons people put on shows and they are to validate themselves within the scene and to shamelessly promote their band
I am sure this doesn't really apply to victoria, which is way too small and everyone-knows-everyone to need to validate ourselves.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

actually, I take that back. the only reason anyone in victoria forms a band or puts on a show is because we weren't cool in elementary school and we need to prove it to ourselves and everyone else how cool we really are. also we like music. even when it's all "rah rah I'm mad and sad that I wasn't cool enough in grade 4 when everyone had tearaway pants and my mom wouldn't buy me some"
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

tylerp wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:There are only 2 reasons people put on shows and they are to validate themselves within the scene and to shamelessly promote their band
I am sure this doesn't really apply to victoria, which is way too small and everyone-knows-everyone to need to validate ourselves.
Eh, I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Everyone's out to validate themselves.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

posting a really well thought out reply to validate my opinion and, in turn, validate myself
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂