April 22nd

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Re: April 22nd

Post by Hollow »

tylerp wrote:posting a really well thought out reply to validate my opinion and, in turn, validate myself

Basically.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

8-)

▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:There are only 2 reasons people put on shows and they are to validate themselves within the scene and to shamelessly promote their band.
so no one put on shows just so bands they want to see play their city have a show? I dont like putting on shows, quite frankly I like it. I do it only because I want bands I like to play here and because if no one puts on shows then no one can go to shows.
Rude Boy Puff wrote:
yo noogz Ill give 200 bucks for the ferry and a case a beer to come play the island they will say yes cause noogz loves beer
truer words have never been said
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

xchadx wrote:I would reccomend getting Tongue Tied to play, but that bands rider is OUT OF CONTROL.
you could say its OUT OF SIGHT(of being a reasonable rider)
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

Best band rider I have ever seen is Cherry Poppin' Daddies who wanted 12 hard-boiled eggs and 12 pairs of white sports socks.
The Slackers were after some Crispy Cream, but they said that Tim Horton's was decent enough.
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

You've obviously never read Pantera's rider.

First, lets look at what supposed to be found in Phil Anselmo's "gym":

24 bottles Becks Beer (Green Bottle)
12 bottles Becks Dark Beer (Brown Bottles)
2 large bottles Chirpay Ale (on ice)
1 liter Wild Turkey "101" proof bourbon
3 bottles good French Merlot [cuz Phil is one classy motherfucker]
4 packs Camel Lights box cigarettes

In the band dressing room:

1 1.5 liter bottle Seagrams 7 Whiskey
3 1.5 liter bottles Crown Royal Whiskey
1 1.5 liter bottle Sky Whiskey
72 each Coors Lite beer (cans)
12 bottles Corona Light beer
12 pack (bottles) local beer
6 each assorted flavours Pedialite
4 quarts Jagged Ice Powerade
2 each ashtrays

But the best is their Taco Bell order (to be placed in the band dressing room NO LATER than 15 minutes before the end of the show!):

6 bean burritos
6 bean burritos with Green Sauce and sour cream
12 regular tacos
12 soft tacos
3 taco salads
big bag of hot sauce...lots incl. Fire

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/pantera-rider

What we can learn from this is that Pantera rules.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

riders are dumb guys.

my rider would be all those brown m&ms that got picked out.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
xJohnnyx
VIHC Poster

Post by xJohnnyx »

Honestly I agree that the best way to learn in to just dive in. Doing a show, even in Victoria really isn't that hard. Doing it successfully is though, mostly because getting people to come is pretty much out of your control. But you should realise before you even start that putting on shows in Victoria is a fantastic way to lose a lot of your money, you need to have all of the costs up front and you don't always make it back in door money. Also keep in mind that Venues need to be paid in advance and that they usually require a damage deposit. Also remember that you need a P.A. system and someone to run it, that often means more money for a rental that also needs to be paid in advance. If your lucky you will have a friend who can do sound for you who you can bribe with beer or something. Another thing to remember is that if you are doing an all ages show, you become LEGALLY responsible for the minors that are attending, and some venues that guidelines you most follow regarding security (Garry Oak room used to require a list of 5 adults who would be attending as "chaperones"). Most venues require to have some form of "security", and even if they don't it good if you do. Also, orchestrating bands can sometimes be a pain in the ass, not just in the planning stages but also during the show as well, it is always good to have a "schedule" that you plan ahead because if you are renting a venue with an hourly rate than you have to factor in set up and clean up time. The worst part of doing shows is the fact that YOU WILL LOSE MONEY! It's important to be aware of that before you start. That doesn't mean every show is gonna cost you tons of money, but just be aware that it is possible that the majority of the costs can end up coming out of your pocket.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to like, It takes strength to be gentle and kind .
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

all thats good. just thought id add, I own my own pa, and would have been running it anyways.
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

heyjealousy wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:There are only 2 reasons people put on shows and they are to validate themselves within the scene and to shamelessly promote their band.
so no one put on shows just so bands they want to see play their city have a show? I dont like putting on shows, quite frankly I like it. I do it only because I want bands I like to play here and because if no one puts on shows then no one can go to shows.
Rude Boy Puff wrote:
yo noogz Ill give 200 bucks for the ferry and a case a beer to come play the island they will say yes cause noogz loves beer

Rule 3 is to always proclaim you dont even wanna do this, but if you didnt then the whole scene would fall out of orbit and hardcore would return to its rightful place as dust in the universe.
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:

Rule 3 is to always proclaim you dont even wanna do this, but if you didnt then the whole scene would fall out of orbit and hardcore would return to its rightful place as dust in the universe.
I laughed.
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

Hollow wrote:Alexis, I'm going to offer the same thing as Kay, next time I'm doing a show you are welcome to shadow me on everything (if you want) and get a feel for how I do things. That's really the best way to learn. You should follow Kay, too, because she does things slightly differently than I do, but is also very successful at it.
I'm intrigued! I don't think I've ever seen you put on a show. I'm always interested in how other people go about it because everyone does things differently.
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

In my experience, putting on shows was a great way to see bands I wanted to see, get hammered for free, get free pizza, piles of cash and copious amounts of sex with babes. This is not everyones perspective, and be very prepared to lose your shirt and have nobody show up. This'll happen to even the best promoters. People are so fickle in 2011.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

kay wrote:
Hollow wrote:Alexis, I'm going to offer the same thing as Kay, next time I'm doing a show you are welcome to shadow me on everything (if you want) and get a feel for how I do things. That's really the best way to learn. You should follow Kay, too, because she does things slightly differently than I do, but is also very successful at it.
I'm intrigued! I don't think I've ever seen you put on a show. I'm always interested in how other people go about it because everyone does things differently.
Willa is/was over past year not promoting due to busy schedule / focus on school and band
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

dalamar501 wrote:
kay wrote:
Willa is/was over past year not promoting due to busy schedule / focus on school and band

This. But I have some friends coming up from the US in July/August, and I said I'd put on a show for them. I have one other show I'm considering doing, but it requires I start pestering a certain band to come up, and I just haven't gotten around to doing that. Maybe one more. Otherwise I'm super low profile, there are people who are much better at promoting than I am doing the bulk of the shows, and I'm happy to let them do that.
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:

people should just stop putting on shows, putting out records, starting bands, writing zines and running venues.

apathy is the new black
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

heyjealousy wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:

people should just stop putting on shows, putting out records, starting bands, writing zines and running venues.

apathy is the new black
Yes, that is exactly what he meant by that.
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

update on this whole april 22 hoo haw, looks like it will happen in some very odd incarnation. basically it's gonna be like a late Matinée thing in our jam space, just us and two other small local bands, and probably just like a dozen or so non players, and it'll be like a hang out and watch some music thing. probably record it.

like.

tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

am I still doing a poetry reading y/n?
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

tylerp wrote:am I still doing a poetry reading y/n?
haha you can if you want, if you want to come out all the way to collwood to read poetry.