Also for anyone interested there is a Vancouver version of this as well
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=272031446152373
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Re: Occupy Victoria (October 15th)

Post by stumped. »

“My Grandmother Hated Abbie Hoffman:
I had what most people believe to be a rather unusual childhood hero- if it wasn’t for Abbie Hoffman, I’d probably not be here writing to you today. His pranks and outspokenness inspired me, his writing helped structure how I see the world.

My American grandmother was outraged by this. I brought a copy of ‘Revolution for the Hell of It’ to her house- she refused to let it through the front door, the next week it lived in her garage. This only left me further entrenched.

She explained how it offended her how he ridiculed everything, and how his words were clouded by disrespect. She continuously referred to how hurtful it was to her he wore a shirt made out of an American Flag. She foamed at the mouth when she heard him using the word ‘baby killer’ about soldiers- her husband and son had both been draftees. And, it pissed her off on day when one of Abbie’s protests blocked traffic in NYC, making it so she was late to make dinner for her family.

My grandmother was a member of the 99%.

In her heart, grandma agreed with Abbie’s principles. But, his methods alienated her to the point of rejecting even the good parts she agreed with.

So, please, everyone, I beg of you: before you do or say anything in related to our movement, stop and think to yourself, will it alienate someone’s grandmother.”

this is a quote from the moderator of the occupyvancouver group on facebook, justifying moderate protest
is stuff like this that makes me feel pretty disenfranchised with the movement
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

I think it is a movement that should be offered support, be it critical or %100, for many reasons. It seems in the past few years people have equated real political activity with signing an online 'petition' (though usually not formatted properly to be help in parliament and is then more of a poll) or posting witty one-off posters. I think a movement which seems to be based on the failure of capitalism as a system to meet the real needs of people is a noble cause, be at a little open. This sort of movement is an excellent way to bring more political theory and practice into the movement and help mobilize those becoming political aware.

Having such a broad and open goal for a movement invites all sorts of problems, but does allow a vast number of people to participate. It may come down to those who are organizing this event. Who are the main people putting it on? It may be headed up (sorry, spokescouncil'd up) by some dread-locked, but-flapped, banjo-playin' anarchists who, while maybe some recognize the importance of a broad movement based in political theory [probably Bakunin], it may just be a end up being small groups with acts of direct action (see: brick throwing or more banjo playing) talking about able-ism and the role of womyn in spelling. I actually don't know which groups are heavily involved in the organization of this. It could be VIPIRG and the 4th International for all I know. What I'm trying to say in a way is that this broad movement may end up with some alienating fractures or a small group taking on the forefront.

From what I saw on the news it looked like quite a diverse crowd in Victoria (some 911 'truthers' to some of our amazing homeless advocates).

This is a movement in which many should offer some sort of support. Be they 'trust-fund hipsters', maybe their russian/film studies degree will pay off and something good will come of it. I like a good hipster joke as much as the next [jealous] guy, but it surely is the intentions behind the movement which can or cannot be supported.
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

stumped. wrote:“My Grandmother Hated Abbie Hoffman:
I had what most people believe to be a rather unusual childhood hero- if it wasn’t for Abbie Hoffman, I’d probably not be here writing to you today. His pranks and outspokenness inspired me, his writing helped structure how I see the world.

My American grandmother was outraged by this. I brought a copy of ‘Revolution for the Hell of It’ to her house- she refused to let it through the front door, the next week it lived in her garage. This only left me further entrenched.

She explained how it offended her how he ridiculed everything, and how his words were clouded by disrespect. She continuously referred to how hurtful it was to her he wore a shirt made out of an American Flag. She foamed at the mouth when she heard him using the word ‘baby killer’ about soldiers- her husband and son had both been draftees. And, it pissed her off on day when one of Abbie’s protests blocked traffic in NYC, making it so she was late to make dinner for her family.

My grandmother was a member of the 99%.

In her heart, grandma agreed with Abbie’s principles. But, his methods alienated her to the point of rejecting even the good parts she agreed with.

So, please, everyone, I beg of you: before you do or say anything in related to our movement, stop and think to yourself, will it alienate someone’s grandmother.”

this is a quote from the moderator of the occupyvancouver group on facebook, justifying moderate protest
is stuff like this that makes me feel pretty disenfranchised with the movement
Stuff like this I take about as seriously as the people saying that the "occupy" protestors would be taken more seriously if they wore button down shirts and a sensible pair of khakis. And I take those people about as seriously as the guy who sent me death threats and accused me of being an operative for the feminist agenda on reddit.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:And I take those people about as seriously as the guy who sent me death threats and accused me of being an operative for the feminist agenda on reddit.
post actual quotes and/or links.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

Seems I may have put my foot in my mouth. Apathy and sarcasm, you've made me look like a fool.
Victoria Straight Edge
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Likes this.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

Tambro wrote:
ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Likes this.

Also likes this
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
dave mac
No self righteousness here, was just pointing out a flawed statement

Post by dave mac »

dalamar501 wrote:
Tambro wrote:
ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Likes this.

Also likes this
I LOL'd
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

dave mac wrote:
dalamar501 wrote:
Tambro wrote:
ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Likes this.

Also likes this
I LOL'd
YES
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

What happened with this? I'm holed up sick in my apartment.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

I would say about 1,500 people in total. Biggest rally since 2003 in Victoria for sure!
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
Token
VIHC Poster

Post by Token »

We wandered by one or twice but I can't stand most protests usually, plus we had places to be, so we didn't stick around long.
ComradeSheridan
VIHC Poster

Post by ComradeSheridan »

I enjoyed this. Saw a few other people from the scene there. It was a slow process, but it was slowly moving forward. That's democracy, I guess. Was a really positive place, though, and I'm going back this weekend.
I dunno.
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

The occupiers took half the carpet from carpetland today to make a layer between tents and concrete! Just to think of all the places that dumpstered carpet has gone.
ComradeSheridan
VIHC Poster

Post by ComradeSheridan »

kay wrote:The occupiers took half the carpet from carpetland today to make a layer between tents and concrete! Just to think of all the places that dumpstered carpet has gone.
That would've been helpful on the night I slept out! Thanks for the contribution, you'll help me not freeze my ass off this weekend! :D
I dunno.