Attn Vancouver posters

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Attn Vancouver posters

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

I saw an event today for a show at Seylynn Hall. Who is booking shows there is it still the council like before? Is it still Matt Smith?
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Re: Attn Vancouver posters

Post by heyjealousy »

To the best of my knowledge Matt Smith isnt doing it anymore very few(if any) of the original committee members are involved. we got asked to play a show there once. none of our band members that were on the original committee wanted anything to do with current shows there.
Rude Boy Puff

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

Bummer, how do we take it back?
So many North Van dudes playing in good bands to not have that venue. I wanna know more.
@Nick & Giles, Dave Mac, Jewis h...

Edit:Your word filters are still fucking stupid.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

As far as I know the kids who are doing it now are actually pretty young. They probably would've been something like 12 or 13 when the "golden age" of Seylynn shows were happening and probably don't know much if anything about the committee and stuff. I'm sure if they knew about Vancouver bands they'd book them.
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

I am pretty sure it's brand new people. I know that Jesse from the band Desecrated Youth(they are all like 16, so that gets me stoked!) is on the committee. I don't really have a problem with them running shows out of there again, just because it isn't the same people doesn't make it any less valid.

We(Jelly Boyz) have played there and got asked to play there this summer and we will probably do it. I am not the biggest authority on this issue obviously because I was never involved with Seylynn in any way, except for attending shows, but I see no harm in booking more shows there again. People complain about the loss of venues, but when we can use a space they complain about it. It's an all ages space and the majority of people who came out to the show we played there were teen aged punks just having a good time, except there was one dude in his mid twenties rocking a Husker Du shirt who I have never seen before, but would like to see again.

I always kinda figured was Seylynn was this place was where the new generation of kids would take over and start doing shows? Or is that way off base? It's just a new group of people booking shows there.

I don't see it ever rising to it's former glory, but if people want to book shows and stuff there I see no harm really. Unless the people that book shows there are scummy assholes, but the experience we had there was pretty swell.

-Warren
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Rude Boy Puff

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

My first Seylynn show was the Strain reunion in 03 and from then til it was closed there were slew of amazing shows Go it Alone's comeback show, Brandie Bailey Memorial with Comeback Kid and Figure Four, Go It Alone's last show, Reserve 34 reunion, In Strides first show so on so on. So that's what I'd call the golden age because those shows were all awesome and regular, but then you have all those shows before that like AFI, Good Riddance, The Get Up Kids so on so on. I don't know I guess my point is that venue was consistently awesome for about as long as it was around. I was under the impression it was bulldozed and it's not and theyre putting on shows.
Rude Boy Puff

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

The era I described I went to meetings from time to time with Dingus and the committee was not well populated with dudes who were into hardcore with the exception of Dingus and Matt Smith. There were punks, metal dudes and a lot of indie kids for the most part. All it takes is one or two dudes and sometimes there was pizza.
Last edited by Rude Boy Puff on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

I played that venue like 12 or 13 years ago with the red light sting, sharp teeth and a bunch of other bands. I'm not sure about the drama that seems to be going on but it was a sweet place to play.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.
Rude Boy Puff

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

No drama, it still sounds like it's run by the kids. Just not the kinda kids that like hardcore.
xchadx
notable fraudster/loser nerd/homophobe

Post by xchadx »

Last edited by xchadx on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Seylynn was one of the best venues I've ever played in Van.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:No drama, it still sounds like it's run by the kids. Just not the kinda kids that like hardcore.
This right here.
Matt explained to me why he doesnt want us to play there and it seems to be mostly personal reasons so I choose to respect that, if people want more insight they should talk to past and current committee members ect, I am neither.
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Hollow wrote:Seylynn was one of the best venues I've ever played in Van.
I had thew opposite experience, but maybe that is because it was Vile Style. later that night Jordan and I got stick n poked.
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

Crucified wrote:I played that venue like 12 or 13 years ago with the red light sting, sharp teeth and a bunch of other bands. I'm not sure about the drama that seems to be going on but it was a sweet place to play.
I was at that show. I was like 14 at the time and it was the second punk show I ever went to.

From what I know, a lot of the seylynn history outside of the larger shows in the 90's and early 2000's was made by young local teenage suburban punx. I know there were some familiar names involved for years; I just mean that it was always about the outlet for young kids. It's hard not to miss some of the great times I had going to see crappy local bands slug it out in halls all over the suburbs as a teenager and how easy it was to make friends with other kids. I think that whole experience is almost completely gone because of all the deathcore, silly haircuts, and ridiculous culture that kids who otherwise might have gotten into first week level punk are now into instead. So, if there's still some kids keepin' that dream alive once again at seylynn... that's cool. I probably would have offed myself a long time ago if I didn't have those experiences growing up, so I support other kids' chance to have that.
"user destroy has some opinions on bands." - tylerpicklesmith, 2010.
dave mac
No self righteousness here, was just pointing out a flawed statement

Post by dave mac »

As I understand it the crowd is very young there now, and there is very little connection between them and people involved in hardcore, even the people who were once very involved with seylynn.. Most of the people involved in hardcore in vancouver are like 23 or over (some well over), while a lot of my generation were around that age when Seylynn had that revival in the mid early to mid 2000's there was still some connection (through matt smith, we'd all had still been going to shows periodically periodically.) that gave us a reason to be there. I feel like it is harder now, because it is a youth run initiative that very few in Vancouver Hardcore have had anything to do with for like 5 years (when was the 'last' seylynn show?) I don't think the overseers will take kindly to a bunch of 20 somethings trying to book there. The only real hope is if the younger cats start to make connections there (twins and crew), then their shows would be more justifiable.

Personally I'd have a hard time going to shows there now regardless... not that I have anything against the kids, I just feel like I'd be invading a space that I am not a part of anymore. I also am not saying that I don't think it could be something awesome again, it clearly was and could be again, but I feel like if that happens it will be because of a new set of people (just like all the kids who went to the shows in the 90's and then again in the mid 2000s did then). I said goodbye to seylynn at the "last show" though.
cadaver
just looking to meet up with likeminded users who are into eating human flesh

Post by cadaver »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:Your word filters are still fucking stupid.
franks is hippies
jewish
Probably not a spambot

Post by jewish »

If anyone wants to talk to me about it I'm more than happy to discuss it, but the internet isn't the best avenue for talking about mine, and other former committee members extensive relationship with Seylynn Hall. What Dave said I completely agree with. Things have changed a lot. Seylynn Hall is/was a venue which was initiated by the youth and for the youth. The old rule was that committee members were supposed to leave before their 19th birthday so that more kids could get involved. Before we shut it down a few years ago, essentially the entire Seylynn Committee was over the age of 19 with the exception of 2 or 3 duders, (who actually all came out to the Naysayer/Set Foot show, which was tight). When we shut it down, it was the right thing to do. Apparently a group of kids recently decided to approach the North Shore Neighbourhood House and ask if Seylynn could be opened up for shows again. They contacted the Rec Commission and the place re-opened. I know that they are doing shows there, I have no idea how frequently. Apparently once again it's all youth run, which is great. Aside from Buzz Killington helping out with sound occasionally, no old members are involved. I don't know that much more about what's going on with it. I personally don't really want to play there any more, and don't feel entirely comfortable being at shows there. It's not a knock against the kids running it at all, it's personal reasons. Seylynn was a huge part of my life and impacted me, and a whole lot of other people in incredible ways. When we shut it down a few years ago, I closed that chapter of my life. I'm happy that the place is running again, and bands should play there, but I just don't want to. I wouldn't feel right. If your band wants to, do it. It's a great space. Anywhore, I actually just went on a rant. If any one wants to know more, just PM me, or come talk to me at a show. I can rant about this for hours.
jewish
Probably not a spambot

Post by jewish »

If anyone wants to talk to me about it I'm more than happy to discuss it, but the internet isn't the best avenue for talking about mine, and other former committee members extensive relationship with Seylynn Hall. What Dave said I completely agree with. Things have changed a lot. Seylynn Hall is/was a venue which was initiated by the youth and for the youth. The old rule was that committee members were supposed to leave before their 19th birthday so that more kids could get involved. Before we shut it down a few years ago, essentially the entire Seylynn Committee was over the age of 19 with the exception of 2 or 3 duders, (who actually all came out to the Naysayer/Set Foot show, which was tight). When we shut it down, it was the right thing to do. Apparently a group of kids recently decided to approach the North Shore Neighbourhood House and ask if Seylynn could be opened up for shows again. They contacted the Rec Commission and the place re-opened. I know that they are doing shows there, I have no idea how frequently. Apparently once again it's all youth run, which is great. Aside from Buzz Killington helping out with sound occasionally, no old members are involved. I don't know that much more about what's going on with it. I personally don't really want to play there any more, and don't feel entirely comfortable being at shows there. It's not a knock against the kids running it at all, it's personal reasons. Seylynn was a huge part of my life and impacted me, and a whole lot of other people in incredible ways. When we shut it down a few years ago, I closed that chapter of my life. I'm happy that the place is running again, and bands should play there, but I just don't want to. I wouldn't feel right. If your band wants to, do it. It's a great space. Anywhore, I actually just went on a rant. If any one wants to know more, just PM me, or come talk to me at a show. I can rant about this for hours.
Noelle CDP
VIHC Poster

Post by Noelle CDP »

I'm not sure how I feel about Seylynn Hall's re-opening. Chaos, Disorder And Panic, Jelly Boyz and Desecrated Youth all played the re-opening show. I find for me it just doesn't have the same charm it used too. There are some very hard working kids in North Van that deserve their own space to have shows. I remember members of Desecrated Youth and various North Van kids that some as young as 15 trekking from North Van to Bullys in New West for a place to play.

I know who a couple of kids on the committee are and could pass along contact info for everyone who wants it. They run shows once a month but don't seem to cater to punk and hardcore the way they used too. The majority of the shows i've seen advertised have been deathcore, ska shows and bands that i'm simply not into. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's their venue so they can book whatever they want. I would like to see more punk and associated sub genres shows there.

I also agree with the twins people complain there isn't places to play and then when people take the initiative to create a place to play people still complain. Punk and hardcore are supposed to be about unity. If your not satisfied with something in your scene work together to make it better.
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

as someone who has lived in many towns with problems having any venue at all to play, hearing people say they wont play a venue or go to a show at a venue is alien and rage inducing to me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.