How Important Is Lyrical Content 4 U?

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

xchadx
notable fraudster/loser nerd/homophobe

Re: How Important Is Lyrical Content 4 U?

Post by xchadx »

Last edited by xchadx on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

Black metal is for the terminally nerdy and the closet neo nazi.
Earth Crisis should get the credit due to them. Yes trial was better spoken and put out one album that stood up to anything eXc did, but eXc trancended genre borders and took veganism and straight edge to a global level. They were a band that had the balls to get on stage with bands like slayer and sepultura and tell the kids how they can use sobriety as a vehicle for political and social change, not some pussy whipped fashion statement. People hated them IMO because they took veganism and straight edge out of the basements and VFW halls and took it to MTV, ozzfest, and middle american living rooms where people like me could find it. and after 20 years I think all but one OG member (check that fact) is still vegan straight edge, which more then most bands do.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:Black metal is for the terminally nerdy and the closet neo nazi.
When you come to visit me and hang out (AND YOU WILL MOTHERFUCKER) I will show you my bookshelf full of D&D books. SO yeah, you're right.

Chad, I'll check up on the Bolt Thrower, but we pretty much rule when it comes to anarcho/crust/grind/bm/any other metal. I'm working hard to get some hardcore in there. Only real obstacle I have is some of the other guys that run that place think that hardcore has ignorant lyrics, but every time someone's said something even remotely close to that I pull out all the Deicide/Burzum/Slayer/whatever and they shut the fuck up.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

Willa I think you will like Bolt Thrower. You like D&D, Bolt Thrower sings about Warhammer 40k essentially, and is slow dm jams to the maxxxxxxxx
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

i like some of these bands

don't think i can jump in kind of missed a lot of this.
sooo much to read.

oh well. I don't listen to Earth Crisis that much. only had the all out war 7" on my computer for like 4 years then got firestorm on my computer like 2 years ago?
Bad Brains rule.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

long read. All I could come up with is..... TRIAL was the best band in the 90's.

Chad, the soccer jersey is sick!
Victoria Straight Edge
New West Crew
LET THE ROUNDUPS BEGIN

Post by New West Crew »

Hollow wrote:You should seriously give that Spitboy side of the Los Crudos split a second chance. Holy shit, solid feminist hardcore ACTUALLY PERFORMED BY WOMEN!! OOOOH.

I have the Downcast S/T LP, first pressing. Be jealous.

I would disagree that Trial did nothing. And I have to actually step back and admit that I'm one of those old guys who got into animal rights because of EC. Fuck, I had completely forgotten about that. Ugh.

Either way, come party on the 19th. We'll bro down and I'll explain how the 90's weren't nearly as good as you think they were (really).
Wasn't the first press of that out of like 3000 and just went out of print now?

It is both a great record and a dollar bin classic.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

New West Crew wrote:
Hollow wrote:You should seriously give that Spitboy side of the Los Crudos split a second chance. Holy shit, solid feminist hardcore ACTUALLY PERFORMED BY WOMEN!! OOOOH.

I would disagree that Trial did nothing. And I have to actually step back and admit that I'm one of those old guys who got into animal rights because of EC. Fuck, I had completely forgotten about that. Ugh.

Either way, come party on the 19th. We'll bro down and I'll explain how the 90's weren't nearly as good as you think they were (really).

You know, I don't actually know. You are a far bigger vinyl nerd...er...COLLECTOR than I, so I'll take your word. I was still wicked stoked to see it, and it's from at least 94, cuz it's beat to shit. I love old records.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
New West Crew
LET THE ROUNDUPS BEGIN

Post by New West Crew »

Hollow wrote:
New West Crew wrote:

You know, I don't actually know. You are a far bigger vinyl nerd...er...COLLECTOR than I, so I'll take your word. I was still wicked stoked to see it, and it's from at least 94, cuz it's beat to shit. I love old records.
I'll have you know that I don't own multiple copies of any piece of vinyl unless the second copy is a test press.

I like waaaaay too much music to spend time getting a bunch of the same record.
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

New West Crew wrote:
Hollow wrote:
New West Crew wrote:

I'll have you know that I don't own multiple copies of any piece of vinyl unless the second copy is a test press.

I like waaaaay too much music to spend time getting a bunch of the same record.

same here. except in cases rare cases.
the band set foot.
i must have it all.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
xchadx
notable fraudster/loser nerd/homophobe

Post by xchadx »

Last edited by xchadx on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

also have multiple of Sojourner - Overwhelming.
because one i get thanked in the canadian tour version.
and then brian gave me a regular one at rainfest later that year.
Victoria Straight Edge
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

grind/bro wrote: I don't think cops should be "killed" (sorry Conrad). Murder is a moral no-no for me/the world. I don't think anything of these kind of lyrics though. Shouldn't I find them objectionable? Cops have mothers, fathers, children, wives, husbands and little doggies. Really I should be finding the calling for murder of anyone regardless of who they are objectionable.
super sorry to bump up an old thread, just that i had an argument a couples of days ago about cops, and thats pretty much exactly what i said. honestly im not gonna claim I won. there are no winners in arguments, I gave up when they couldn't form a cohesive enough reply, and resorted to the terms "pigs" and "enemy combatants" and resorting to that old chestnut of bring up something completely unrelated to throw you off "his was all the missing native women"

again sorry to bump this

on sorta topic. I have a very hard time dealing with lyrics as I am both non spiritual and non religious, not straight edge, and not vegan, and very apolitical I have a very hard time enjoying certain bands/genres when it gets down to it, they're singing about people just like me.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Human-Demise wrote:
grind/bro wrote: I don't think cops should be "killed" (sorry Conrad). Murder is a moral no-no for me/the world. I don't think anything of these kind of lyrics though. Shouldn't I find them objectionable? Cops have mothers, fathers, children, wives, husbands and little doggies. Really I should be finding the calling for murder of anyone regardless of who they are objectionable.
super sorry to bump up an old thread, just that i had an argument a couples of days ago about cops, and thats pretty much exactly what i said. honestly im not gonna claim I won. there are no winners in arguments, I gave up when they couldn't form a cohesive enough reply, and resorted to the terms "pigs" and "enemy combatants" and resorting to that old chestnut of bring up something completely unrelated to throw you off "his was all the missing native women"
I think you missed the point. Let me break it down for you:
12000 people show up to a cops funeral.
First Nation's people often complain of police harassment, and this gets ignored.
In signing up to become a police officer one is voluntarily accepting the violence and possibility of death inherent to policing.
In being born an aboriginal woman one is simply born and has no choice in the matter.
Aboriginal women are far more frequent targets of violence than cops.
Why then, do 12000 people show up to a cops funeral because they did what was in their job description while memorials for these women, who through no fault of their own were targets of violence, are relegated to fringe political movements? On what planet are these reaction proportional? Whether or not this justifies calling for killing cops is an other matter (which I am more than happy to discuss if you want) but if you can't see this double standard in this instance there is no point in continuing this conversation. Also, ACAB.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

i can see your point. and yes 1200 is ridiculous. I still dont get how what he brought up is truly pertinent to the point of discussion though.

my main point, which he would not agree upon, was loss of life is still loss of life no matter who it is. every body is someones child, and you shouldn't revel in their death.

If you do want to have a calm discussion, I'd be more that happy to oblige, I guess my real point was that he would just make inflammatory statements, and ignored my point.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:We've all seen thousands of bands made up of dudes in basketball shorts and gorilla buscuits t-shirts talking about keepin it posi one second and then talking about how much hipsters suck the next.
I find that generally people in basketball shorts and gorilla biscuits shirts are just as likely to run with hipster as they are to talk shit about them, and the only people who I can think of in years that really shit-talk hipsters is you, and me, and the rest of our band, except nicholas because he dresses nicely and I think he is trying to infiltrate them, or more likely is a double-agent or something.

anyways you're full of shit, there are like 5 people in this town like that and they're all legit dudes.
grind/bro

Post by grind/bro »

canon.docre wrote: except nicholas because he dresses nicely and I think he is trying to infiltrate them, or more likely is a double-agent or something.
Hi! Actually, I like wearing "hipster"-esque clothing because:
A) I think it looks nice. Say what you will about what some hipsters "do" but a fair amount of them dress very tastefully.
B) Tends to catch the eyes of the ladies.
C) When you are rolling downtown with a punk vest covered in patches, you are more likely to be hassled by cops/lead suspicion from others. I choose to dress to impress so no cop ever questions my goody-goody gumdrops demeanour. Then again I've been offered coke so many fucking times by people it gets a bit distressing, cuz I'm like skinny or something...so I must do coke :roll:
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

grind/bro wrote:
canon.docre wrote: except nicholas because he dresses nicely and I think he is trying to infiltrate them, or more likely is a double-agent or something.
Hi! Actually, I like wearing "hipster"-esque clothing because:
A) I think it looks nice. Say what you will about what some hipsters "do" but a fair amount of them dress very tastefully.
B) Tends to catch the eyes of the ladies.
C) When you are rolling downtown with a punk vest covered in patches, you are more likely to be hassled by cops/lead suspicion from others. I choose to dress to impress so no cop ever questions my goody-goody gumdrops demeanour. Then again I've been offered coke so many fucking times by people it gets a bit distressing, cuz I'm like skinny or something...so I must do coke :roll:
no need to explain yourself nick. just do the fucking coke already.
grind/bro

Post by grind/bro »

No. I like fun.
dave mac
No self righteousness here, was just pointing out a flawed statement

Post by dave mac »

Last edited by dave mac on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.