Books you are currently reading

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Andrew
Sea bass

Re: Books you are currently reading

Post by Andrew »

stumped. wrote:Image

dispatches by michael herr.
this man helped write the scripts of both apocolypse now and full metal jacket based on his experiences in vietnam, all of which are documented in this book.
I'm a huge history dork, and the vietnam war is one of my favorite subjects to read about. this book is by-far the best i've ever read on the war. probably the best history book i've read period. herr has such a penchat for elaborating feelings that alot of people who experience them as well can spend their whole lives trying to explain, which is probably why he managed to get out of the country sane (he was there 1967-1969). its difficult to describe it without coming off cliche'd, so just read it.
If you don't mind loaning your books I'd be into reading this.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

Andrew wrote:

this man helped write the scripts of both apocolypse now and full metal jacket based on his experiences in vietnam, all of which are documented in this book.
I'm a huge history dork, and the vietnam war is one of my favorite subjects to read about. this book is by-far the best i've ever read on the war. probably the best history book i've read period. herr has such a penchat for elaborating feelings that alot of people who experience them as well can spend their whole lives trying to explain, which is probably why he managed to get out of the country sane (he was there 1967-1969). its difficult to describe it without coming off cliche'd, so just read it.
anytime man, when would you want to pick it up?
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

stumped. wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Are you living in Van now? We have to meet up for the tape $$ asap anyway.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

Andrew wrote:
stumped. wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Are you living in Van now? We have to meet up for the tape $$ asap anyway.
yeah i've finally moved in, i'll message you my ### and we'll figure out whens and wheres. i have a cheque with all de cash
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

this thread will LIVE.
This was sort of an interesting read. I think Warren and I may be one of the few people who still read Adbusters. But I really don't think I'm going to renew my subscription when it runs out in a year or so.
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

officespace wrote:

this thread will LIVE.
This was sort of an interesting read. I think Warren and I may be one of the few people who still read Adbusters. But I really don't think I'm going to renew my subscription when it runs out in a year or so.
i really want to read the latest one. but my subcription ran out, can i borrow?
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

When I get it you can. My Adbusters always show up a week or two later that others. I have no idea why
dave mac
No self righteousness here, was just pointing out a flawed statement

Post by dave mac »

reading this

Zizek is an interesting dude, he'll cite and deconstruct Descartes/Lacan/hegel in the same breath as John Carpenter's They Live. It is an interesting lack of pretence to a dude who is obviously ridiculously smart.

I don't really get off on Fiction all that much. There are of course novels I love, but I'm much more into non-fiction; philosophy and history for the most part. I am also about half way through The Wealth Of Nations, but put it down awhile ago, it is a bit of a laborious read to say the least.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

I read Ham On Rye yesterday. Started reading Post Office today and hope to start Factotum on Wed/Thursday. Then Women over the weekend. It'll be a good week for reading. Bukowski's books are really hard to put down. Are the other two novels(Pulp and Hollywood) worth reading? I remember Warren saying no but i'm not too sure.

-Darren
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

zizek is fully backed. i'd love to have a teleporter to discuss the guy with anybody who's into it, including zach attack. he dreams about the guy.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

I am just starting to read The Electric Kool-Aid Test by Tom Wolfe. Should be interesting

-Warren
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

officespace wrote:I am just starting to read The Electric Kool-Aid Test by Tom Wolfe. Should be interesting

-Warren

Let me know how that goes! I've always wanted to read that, but was worried it would be a lot of "Duurrr, hippies rule and did no wrong and then Altamont happened and everything went bad". Basically, if it's the hippie version of American Hardcore, I want nothing of it.

Recently tried taking on Thomas Pynchon's Mason and Dixon, but honestly couldn't get into it. I don't like actual 18th century novels, not sure why I would get into a fake one.

Still waiting to get my hands on Infinite Jest. School starts tomorrow, so we'll see if I'm able to keep up with reading for my own pleasure.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
ian
VIHC Poster

Post by ian »

hollywoods worth reading. wasnt to into pulp though.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

ian wrote:hollywoods worth reading. wasnt to into pulp though.
ok I'll prob check it out then thanks!. Also Pynchon for the most part isn't that good. Infinite Jest <3<3

-Darren
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

keep_it_real wrote:zizek is fully backed. i'd love to have a teleporter to discuss the guy with anybody who's into it, including zach attack. he dreams about the guy.
Zach uotes Zizek constantly. Im definitely going to read the guy soon, but im not gonna lie the dude intimidates the hell out of me.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

officespace wrote:
ian wrote:hollywoods worth reading. wasnt to into pulp though.
ok I'll prob check it out then thanks!. Also Pynchon for the most part isn't that good. Infinite Jest <3<3

-Darren
Yeah im starting to ge that about Pynchon. Im still gonna give Gravities Rainbow a shot one day.

Speaking of Pynchon, picked up a group of essays by a group of writers including him and Gore Vidal about the seven deadly sins. So far its been good.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Has anyone read either of David Simon's books?
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

I started reading Infinite Jest yesterday.

-WArren
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

officespace wrote:I started reading Infinite Jest yesterday and then fell asleep on the Sky Train.

-WArren
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

Anyone reading something good??
I've had Sirens of Titan on the go for the last two months but the amount of reading I have for school has turned reading into a chore. I've read lots of gothic novels (Castle of Otranto, Old English Baron, The Monk, Mysteries of Udolpho) in the last two months but I miss reading books that I like to read.
VIVA like