NOW WATCHING (TV/MOVIES/ETC)

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Re: NOW WATCHING (TV/MOVIES/ETC)

Post by dalamar501 »

tylerp wrote:So I just went with Becky to Summerland over the weekend.

I've come to realize that Fields (yeah, you know the store) seems to have purchased a huge amount of liquidated DVDs from Movie Gallery and are selling them for just $2 apiece as just the disc in slim jewel cases. It means a ton of digging to find anything decent (what the hell is Duplex and why do they have hundreds of copies??) but I found some gems, guilty pleasures, funny things, and maybe some pure crap that I'm a bit curious about. I hit up three stores and looked through everything. Def found some DVDs that t-bone had that I miss having around. $2 is basically nothing, I guess I could just download them but sometimes I like having the DVD to just throw on whenever, you know? Here's the list:

-me and you and everyone we know
-adventureland
-magnolia
-being john malkovich
-dave chappelle's block party
-slc punk
-burn after reading
-wayne's world
-watership down
-lord of the rings (warner bros) - this is not the big deal trilogy that came out. actually, I have no idea what it is. I thought it looked like that animated "the hobbit" movie that I watched in school once. can't find an IMDB page for it.
-doom (I know, everyone says it sucks, but I always wanted to see it)
-beowolf and grendel
-rollins live in the conversation pit
-v for vendetta
-high fidelity
-the ring two (I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WITH THAT CREEPY GIRL, OKAY? I might have seen this and it might have been totally forgettable. sigh.)
-the exorcism of emily rose
-eyes wide shut
-evil dead
-pokemon: the first movie
-double dragon
-grind (I like movies about skateboarding... just imdb'd this and I've seen it already and it kind of sucked. whoops.)
DUDE that sounds sweet.

Fields is rad i found some cheap movies at the Fields in Sooke once.. I wonder if they have better selection now.
I agree with Tyler that owning a copy is pretty nice as you can just throw it on and not have to worry about downloading it etc.
The Rogers in Langford just recently closed and i picked up :
Biutiful (loved this)
Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky
Daydream Nation (hadn't seen this and enjoyed it! the cover says: Juno as envisioned by David Lynch, A Sunnier Brighter Donnie Darko)
After Life (SOOOOOOO STOKED to get a copy of this. Japanese film.)
2 Days In Paris
Rabbit Hole.

Movies rule. I own 140 ish now... haha
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
ImaginaryGirlfriend
VIHC Poster

Post by ImaginaryGirlfriend »

Where I used to live had a Fields, They Have so many awful and fantastic movies there. I will post what I find there when I'm at home next. I do remember finding Kinsey there though.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

been going through Regular Show
its deece, good for 10m episodes to kill time
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Lately I watched the Young Justice series, a couple UK version Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares episodes on Netflix and some Bad Brains footage on Youtube.

Just finished watching the West Memphis Three court hearing and press conference.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Went and saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. Probably Fincher's best work.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

officespace wrote:Went and saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. Probably Fincher's best work.
it was really good.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Human-Demise wrote:
officespace wrote:Went and saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. Probably Fincher's best work.
it was really good.
How does it compare to the original version of the film?
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Andrew wrote:
Human-Demise wrote:
it was really good.
How does it compare to the original version of the film?
Better in every single aspect. Acting/score/direction/etc.

Still I think the film is flawed due to it's weak source material, but what are you gonna do? Still a great movie.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Been catching up on superhero movies that I was not going to pay $15 for at the theaters. Watched Green Hornet, Cowboys and Aliens, and Green Lantern this week.

Green Hornet: okay, so this movie wasn't good. It wasn't unwatchable, either, but hoo boy it wasn't good.

First, the bad: This movie was about twenty to thirty minutes too long. There was a lot of filler, and honestly I would have edited to be shorter. It was directed by Michele Gondry, and since he seems to be the Wes Anderson of Europe it was waaaay to focused on Green Hornets daddy issues. It would have been a good humanizing detail, but it was focused on far too much. As well, despite some good chemistry between Jay Chou and Seth Rogan, the dialogue between the two got grating after a while. I get it, it's a serious bro-mance. Move on.

Now the good (or at least interesting): It was a nice to see them openly questioning and mocking the biggest problem I always had with the Green Hornet; he was basically a poncy rich white boy with a gas gun who let his chauffeur do all the work and took all the credit. In the movie, Kato is basically the hero and the Green Hornet was an idiot that he had to save all the time. I felt they dealt with this well, and the fight between Kato/Green Hornet was good. Second, Carmen Diaz played the female lead, and her character ended up rejecting both Kato and Green Hornet (and threatening Green Hornet with a sexual harassment lawsuit). She was also the smartest character in the movie, and generally managed to avoid a large portion of the stereotypes that women find themselves in these movies. She never has to be saved, and ends up pulling their bacon out of the fire at the end. That was also cool.

Honestly though, don't waste your time with this one. The parts that made it interesting were generally drowned out by the parts that made it shitty.

Cowboys and Aliens: Also, not good (SHOCKING I KNOW) but so much fun that I didn't really care. It was exactly what I expected, and can be summed up in one word: MEN. There was so much head nods, bro chins, and firm handshakes in this movie that I was pretty sure my computer was going to crash from the overload of testosterone. Women in this movie were either victims, dead, or sacrificial lambs. It was racist in the way that Hollywood loves to be racist: well-meaning and completely oblivious (ALL NATIVES SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE, RIGHT GUYS?!? ALSO THEY ARE ALL EITHER SPIRITUAL GUIDES OR INTENSE WARRIORS. ALSO, WHITE MEN NEED TO SAVE THEM.)

But what the hell would you expect from a movie that runs on the premise that aliens invade 19th century Nevada in search of gold? Download this, be aware of the inherent misogyny and racism, but just enjoy it for what it is: Craig and Ford being stony faced and blowing up spaceships while on horseback.

Green Lantern: WHAT A SHITTY MOVIE. No, really, this movie sucked on so many levels it isn't even funny. It was the most cookie-cutter, boring superhero movie I have ever seen, and I saw Superman Returns in theaters. Ryan Reynolds continues to run full tilt on a career of "Hey, I'm Dane Cook but better looking", the female lead was exactly what I expected, the plot was nonexistent, the effects were ridiculous...you know what, I'm gonna just stop here because I could go on for ages about how horrible it was. Just...just don't watch this movie. I have faith that you're all smarter than me, though, and realized before I did how bad it was. Oh well, once a comic nerd always a comic nerd. I'm a sucker for this shit.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Hollow wrote: Oh well, once a comic nerd always a comic nerd.
Truth.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

Hollow wrote: Green Lantern: WHAT A SHITTY MOVIE. No, really, this movie sucked on so many levels it isn't even funny. It was the most cookie-cutter, boring superhero movie I have ever seen, and I saw Superman Returns in theaters. Ryan Reynolds continues to run full tilt on a career of "Hey, I'm Dane Cook but better looking", the female lead was exactly what I expected, the plot was nonexistent, the effects were ridiculous...you know what, I'm gonna just stop here because I could go on for ages about how horrible it was. Just...just don't watch this movie. I have faith that you're all smarter than me, though, and realized before I did how bad it was. Oh well, once a comic nerd always a comic nerd. I'm a sucker for this shit.
Yeah this SUCKED so horribly. Everyone should pirate it.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
LAxPB
VIOLENCE AGAINST VIOLENCE

Post by LAxPB »

I just finished watching the last episode of American Horror Story.....meh.
dougmacminn
VIHC Poster

Post by dougmacminn »

The Bob Newhart show
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

dougmacminn wrote:The Bob Newhart show
YES
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Nice new avatar.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
dougmacminn
VIHC Poster

Post by dougmacminn »

yes - quite the impressive avatar.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

Just finally got around to watching Dexter...hahaha there goes MY LIFE!!!
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Party Down movie?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood ... -happening

This may rule or suck who knows. Best show.