Gear thread cont'd

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

CodyCreepcore
VIHC Poster

Re: Gear thread cont'd

Post by CodyCreepcore »

me and others are possibly looking for an Ernie Ball Musicman 5 string bass or a fender jazz 5 string bass if anyone hears of any.
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

Andrew wrote:
Crucified wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Crucified wrote: Can't go wrong, other than only 4 strings.
:D

4 strings is all you need.

Correction, 4 strings is all you need.
Exactly, which is why you were incorrect to infer 4 strings is a shortcoming of the Geddy Lee jazz. :P

I've owned 5 and 6 string basses but I don't get enough use from either the low B or high C and the extra strings cause my playing behavior to change. If I were to use a bass with more than 4 strings now it'd be a 5 string with a high C instead of a low B, I like chording with the high string more than having the extra low notes.

You ever try 8 or 12 string basses? I'm also intrigued by 8 string basses. I've heard you can tune the octave strings very slightly out of tune to the root string and you get a massive sound from the bass. I'm not keen on any players known for using 8 ad 12 string basses, but I feel like there are some cool possibilities to how you use it. High gear nerd factor, but still could be fun.
I've never played a dual course bass no, the sound you would get from a slightly out of tune string would be more akin to a chorus effect. i'd think that having the two strings tuned in perfect unison would be bigger, but i've never tried it so who knows? i am getting a 7 string fretless soon. that should be fun.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

Two in perfect unison would be bigger, but two tuned in 5ths or something would be even bigger than that, obvz.

My wants:

Since 2005...

Think it's gone up like $500 in price over that time, now clocks in a small hair under $3000. sigh...

Some more guitars would be nice, or rather just my Les Paul the way it should be. Oh yeah, and my amps to stop breaking lately. :(
"user destroy has some opinions on bands." - tylerpicklesmith, 2010.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

I have an Ebow, it lives in Hieg's little pedal box. Ask him about it if you wanna play with it.
reece
Poutine & Chicken Fries

Post by reece »

I know have a loud head i am stoked.
I have the 4 12 and my pa column which is 2 12s and 4 10s going and it rules.
i love shitty gear.
JAPAN FOREVER!
Human-Demise wrote: that cause your an anti-semite.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

reece wrote:I now have a loud head i am stoked.
What is it?
reece
Poutine & Chicken Fries

Post by reece »

PEAVEY VALVE KING!
mike from vc used a peavey for the longest time and i loved its sound, and im really diggin it so far. its a good starter head i think.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

I've just been selling and selling. got rid of my agile al-2000 even though I liked it because it doesn't make sense to have so many les paul style guitars.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

reece wrote:PEAVEY VALVE KING!
mike from vc used a peavey for the longest time and i loved its sound, and im really diggin it so far. its a good starter head i think.
Cool, glad you're digging it. I'm not familiar with that particular head but Peavey have made plenty of good sounding amps.
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

tylerp wrote:I've just been selling and selling. got rid of my agile al-2000 even though I liked it because it doesn't make sense to have so many les paul style guitars.
it makes tons of sense having lots of the best guitar design ever. i wish i could have like four LP Customs for everything i'd want to do.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

destroy wrote:
tylerp wrote:I've just been selling and selling. got rid of my agile al-2000 even though I liked it because it doesn't make sense to have so many les paul style guitars.
it makes tons of sense having lots of the best guitar design ever. i wish i could have like four LP Customs for everything i'd want to do.
samesies. i would love 100 les paul standards.
SewnFlesh
VIHC Poster

Post by SewnFlesh »

destroy wrote:Two in perfect unison would be bigger, but two tuned in 5ths or something would be even bigger than that, obvz.

My wants:

Since 2005...

Think it's gone up like $500 in price over that time, now clocks in a small hair under $3000. sigh...
I own one of these :) very nice sounding amp but took over a year to get it.. every amp hand built!
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

SewnFlesh wrote:
destroy wrote:Two in perfect unison would be bigger, but two tuned in 5ths or something would be even bigger than that, obvz.

My wants:

Since 2005...

I own one of these :) very nice sounding amp but took over a year to get it.. every amp hand built!
sounds good too!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Crucified wrote:
SewnFlesh wrote:

My wants:

Since 2005...

sounds good too!
Would like to hear.
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

www.myspace.com/highassembly

pan hard left and you'll hear it.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Crucified wrote:http://www.myspace.com/highassembly

pan hard left and you'll hear it.
Would like to hear in person.
reece
Poutine & Chicken Fries

Post by reece »

Can someone explain Class A-A/B power to me?
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

reece wrote:Can someone explain Class A-A/B power to me?
There is a technical explanation and reasoning behind it, but how it practically applies to us players is Class A is thought to sound sweeter/prettier/nicer, but is generally limited to amps with a wattage below 40 watts, so not loud enough for most of our hc/punk needs. Class A/B power is supposed to be the best of both worlds/balance between tone and power, which is an amp with the tonal prettiness of Class A but a higher wattage power section.

Some amps are simply Class A/B, but some amps switch between Class A and Class A/B.

Not much point to Class A if you're going to use distortion pedals to get your dirt tone and you want to be hella loud.

When you become a lawyer and want to play blues music at home for 15 minutes every other week with your $8,000 Les Paul you'll be all about Class A amps.
SewnFlesh
VIHC Poster

Post by SewnFlesh »

Andrew wrote:
reece wrote:Can someone explain Class A-A/B power to me?
There is a technical explanation and reasoning behind it, but how it practically applies to us players is Class A is thought to sound sweeter/prettier/nicer, but is generally limited to amps with a wattage below 40 watts, so not loud enough for most of our hc/punk needs. Class A/B power is supposed to be the best of both worlds/balance between tone and power, which is an amp with the tonal prettiness of Class A but a higher wattage power section.

Some amps are simply Class A/B, but some amps switch between Class A and Class A/B.

Not much point to Class A if you're going to use distortion pedals to get your dirt tone and you want to be hella loud.

When you become a lawyer and want to play blues music at home for 15 minutes every other week with your $8,000 Les Paul you'll be all about Class A amps.
Class A is very inefficient because the transistors (tubes) are conducting all the time. So it sounds better but your going to be way harder on your tubes.

Class B amplifiers use whats called push/pull where it uses two transistors which are conducting only 50% of the time and during the region where they are alot more efficient. This can create distortion where the signals are summed at the output.

Class A/B is a combination where the transistors are used in pairs in the push/pull configuration but they conduct for more than 50% so that the overlap will smooth any distortion when the signals are summed.
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

SewnFlesh wrote:
i like you.

yo, lemme get up in dem gutz!! I've been passively looking at schematics and parts to clone one of these myself for some time now. it's really hard to track down reasonably workable diagrams, apparently you can get the schematics from him yourself if you just tell him you need them. my reasoning is aside from the admission price, I really don't want to wait forever to get it like you mentioned. I would seriously pay you just to borrow that thing so I could reverse engineer it. plus I've already got siqq DIY cabs in the making; a complete DIY rig would just rule so hard.