Movies I am watching....

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

aidan
VIHC Poster

Re: Movies I am watching....

Post by aidan »

I feel like everyone is insane and being taken over by some unknown force, namely you guys by this movie. The ultimate irony: Legions of Movie Zombies. Congratulations Bruce, you did it.

Is this some practical joke? I feel like Willa is going to say how much he loved Gattaca next.

Maybe it's just concept horror, in general, for me is almost more funny than anything. I only really like a handful of Argento, and even then I'd say that Bava is way more fun to watch. The genre doesn't demand an auteur of taste and logic. It kind of demands someone who at the very least, provides some semblance of a ghost story that connects with me in the audience. Obviously, it's connected with you two. Here's a great, funny, totally spot-on horror with terrific physical effects from this year: Trick 'r Treat. It's not a gamechanger by any means, but it's what movie geeks like myself crave. I wouldn't recommend Pontypool to a Horror Movie Fan, I would maybe "recommend" it to a student of Philosophy or Language. Was it supposed to be Evil Dead 2 style funny? I swear that I'm not trying to fight you, man. But I can't think of a single truly terrifying moment in that movie. I can think of Canadian accents, paper-thin plot devices and a couple consistency issues in terms of escape. It has a GREAT trailer though.

Also, House Of The Devil. Fantastic! I cannot recommend this movie to Horror fans enough. Paranormal Activity is also a great low-budge flick for anyone remotely interested in demonic haunting and the power of viral marketing.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

aidan wrote:I feel like everyone is insane and being taken over by some unknown force, namely you guys by this movie. The ultimate irony: Legions of Movie Zombies. Congratulations Bruce, you did it.

Is this some practical joke? I feel like Willa is going to say how much he loved Gattaca next.

Maybe it's just concept horror, in general, for me is almost more funny than anything. I only really like a handful of Argento, and even then I'd say that Bava is way more fun to watch. The genre doesn't demand an auteur of taste and logic. It kind of demands someone who at the very least, provides some semblance of a ghost story that connects with me in the audience. Obviously, it's connected with you two. Here's a great, funny, totally spot-on horror with terrific physical effects from this year: Trick 'r Treat. It's not a gamechanger by any means, but it's what movie geeks like myself crave. I wouldn't recommend Pontypool to a Horror Movie Fan, I would maybe "recommend" it to a student of Philosophy or Language. Was it supposed to be Evil Dead 2 style funny? I swear that I'm not trying to fight you, man. But I can't think of a single truly terrifying moment in that movie. I can think of Canadian accents, paper-thin plot devices and a couple consistency issues in terms of escape. It has a GREAT trailer though.

Also, House Of The Devil. Fantastic! I cannot recommend this movie to Horror fans enough. Paranormal Activity is also a great low-budge flick for anyone remotely interested in demonic haunting and the power of viral marketing.
A) I love Gattaca. Fight me.

B) I've been a horror movie junkie since I was 12 years old. I've watched almost every single Argento movie, and loved almost all of them. Trick 'r Treat was excellent, but nowhere near as good as Pontypool.

C) Just because I disagree with you on a matter of personal taste, do not disregard my opinion as being "one of the legion of movie zombies". My opinion is just as valid as yours, and I have just as much a right to have it as you do. You do not now, nor will you ever, hold a monopoly on good taste.

D)Seriously? You didn't like Gattaca? REALLY?

E) REALLY?

That's it.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

Hollow wrote:
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
aidan
VIHC Poster

Post by aidan »

dalamar501 wrote:
Hollow wrote:
Woah, no one was pulling Ethan Hawke into this melee. Gattaca is a middle-of-the-road sci-fi. It's not Primer, but it's certainly not Lost In Space with Matt LeBlanc. It's good. I'll agree with you there, pretty decent flick.

Secondly, chill out. You are a member of the "Zombies Who Love Pontypool", it was a little rib knock up there. If, in the movie, people were "zombified" by words, you guys have been "zombified" by the movie. Lame attempt, I know. No one was saying that you have bad taste in all movies, just that one movie. That's my opinion: Bad movie. Just because you've watched every Argento doesn't make Inferno any less hilarious and over the top. Yknow?
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

aidan wrote:
dalamar501 wrote:
Hollow wrote:
Woah, no one was pulling Ethan Hawke into this melee. Gattaca is a middle-of-the-road sci-fi. It's not Primer, but it's certainly not Lost In Space with Matt LeBlanc. It's good. I'll agree with you there, pretty decent flick.

Secondly, chill out. You are a member of the "Zombies Who Love Pontypool", it was a little rib knock up there. If, in the movie, people were "zombified" by words, you guys have been "zombified" by the movie. Lame attempt, I know. No one was saying that you have bad taste in all movies, just that one movie. That's my opinion: Bad movie. Just because you've watched every Argento doesn't make Inferno any less hilarious and over the top. Yknow?

primer is such a good movie.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

Just watched Kazaam. Then downloaded Shaquille O'Neal albums.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
aidan
VIHC Poster

Post by aidan »

dalamar501 wrote: primer is such a good movie.
Totally. One of the best, headiest Sci-Fi's since.. 2001: A Space Odyssey? Trying to think what that movie meant to me in terms of re-watchability. It's definitely up there for sure.

I have a feeling that Inception is going to be a great conceptual Sci-Fi. We'll see how that one pans out with the official trailer though. I never would have guessed, after seeing Leo in Titanic, that he would be taking on such heavy roles this decade. Scorsese and Nolan in one season? That's a huge accomplishment.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

aidan wrote:
dalamar501 wrote:
Hollow wrote:

Bah, sorry, that was over the top of me. I wrote that about twenty minutes after finding out that the condo I had supposedly signed a lease to was actually a scam. Goodbye security deposit. Anyway, I was more angry at life than you. Sorry about that.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
aidan
VIHC Poster

Post by aidan »

Sucks, bro. Why would someone screw someone out of money and a place to live!? That's ultimate bad karma. Only stealing a bike or an instrument is worse.

Let's have a movie screening and show at Troyler soon. The worst of the worst, only the dingiest and most shockingly bad flicks. Then have some bands play, then watch another movie.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Tambro wrote:Just watched Kazaam. Then downloaded Shaquille O'Neal albums.
Shaq's a triple threat.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

aidan wrote:Sucks, bro. Why would someone screw someone out of money and a place to live!? That's ultimate bad karma. Only stealing a bike or an instrument is worse.

Let's have a movie screening and show at Troyler soon. The worst of the worst, only the dingiest and most shockingly bad flicks. Then have some bands play, then watch another movie.

I am so down with that. Let's get this on.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

Hollow wrote:I re-watched a Russian movie called "Cuckoo" with Meg the other night. Excellent, excellent stuff. I had actually forgotten I'd seen it, because it had been five or six years. It's set in World War II, and is about a Russian and Finnish soldier who somehow end up with a Laplandish women (Laplanders are an ethnic minority in Finland that have their own language and, in 1943, were still living in huts and farming fish by the side of rivers) and none of them speak the others language. It's obviously a lot more complicated than that, but I don't want to give it away. It's rad.
Willa do you own this movie or just had it rented?? I'm really interested in indigenous European history and this sounds like a super cool flick about it.

I saw Troy made a post about Moon, did you ever see it? I watched it with Taylor last night and i though it was great.
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

Hollow wrote: Just re-watched Ichii the Killer,
this recently became my favourite movie, the first 24 hours after watching it it was all i could think about
Hollow wrote:Horror is pretty much a mainstay of mine.
I breathe horror, I believe we have much to discuss
Hollow wrote:Dead Snow. I love zombies, I love watching Nazi's get murdered, so I'm pretty sure watching zombie Nazi's get capped is gonna rule.
Dead snow was excellent, have you seen shock waves? Nazi aquatic zombies, its so bad and so funny
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

stumped. wrote:
Hollow wrote:I re-watched a Russian movie called "Cuckoo" with Meg the other night. Excellent, excellent stuff. I had actually forgotten I'd seen it, because it had been five or six years. It's set in World War II, and is about a Russian and Finnish soldier who somehow end up with a Laplandish women (Laplanders are an ethnic minority in Finland that have their own language and, in 1943, were still living in huts and farming fish by the side of rivers) and none of them speak the others language. It's obviously a lot more complicated than that, but I don't want to give it away. It's rad.
Willa do you own this movie or just had it rented?? I'm really interested in indigenous European history and this sounds like a super cool flick about it.

I saw t-bone made a post about Moon, did you ever see it? I watched it with Taylor last night and i though it was great.
I watched Moon after getting home from work and probably started it around 1am. So it was great but i feel i missed parts of it from my eyes drooping...
Victoria Straight Edge
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Watched a few movies recently

Greenburg: Awesome movie. Great dialougue and characters a pretty typical Baumbach film. Ben Stiller's character was really engaging and he really carried this movie. It's better than Squid and the whale but not as great as Kicking and Screaming.

Finally got around to watching the colors trilogy by Krzysztof Kieślowski. Fucking amazing. The cinematography, the story and the music everything was phenomenal. Red might be in my top 10 favourite films now. I am going to check out the rest of his works soon. I know the Decalogue will be quite a bit to get through but it will be worth it.

Watched Interiors by Woody Allen today and it was grat. I do prefer his comedic works to this but it was really well done. The film is very Bergman esque.

-Darren
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

officespace wrote:Watched a few movies recently

Greenburg: Awesome movie. Great dialougue and characters a pretty typical Baumbach film. Ben Stiller's character was really engaging and he really carried this movie. It's better than Squid and the whale but not as great as Kicking and Screaming.

-Darren
It's Greenberg and you're fucking retarded Squid and the Whale is easily Baumbach's best movie.

-warren
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins