Gear thread cont'd

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

CodyCreepcore
VIHC Poster

Re: Gear thread cont'd

Post by CodyCreepcore »

tylerp wrote:which DAW do you use, cody? I am increasingly interested in your recording setup
i use Adobe Audition 3. simple easy and can do some nice compression n such. wish they could update it to use VSTi Plugins better, but i rarely use those anyways. my main recording strength is mixing. i need to learn more about the actual tracking. although i dont have a space to record really, so i cant work on that
reece
Poutine & Chicken Fries

Post by reece »

is it ok to use the line out on my laney into the input of my peavey head for slave purposes?

or is there a better way
Human-Demise wrote: that cause your an anti-semite.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

reece wrote:is it ok to use the line out on my laney into the input of my peavey head for slave purposes?

or is there a better way
I don't know what inputs you have on the Peavey, but if the Peavey has a line in then it'll act as an additional poweramp with the preamp signal coming from the Laney. Running the line out from the Laney into the input of the Peavey will work, but you'll also get the preamp in the Peavey affecting the tone coming from it.

It doesn't work on every amp, but the effects loop in on some amps will also function as a line in. That might work if the Peavey doesn't have a line in input.

If you want the Peavey amp's own tone too, you could use a splitter pedal. The Boss TU-2 tuner pedal works as a splitter in a pinch.

This may sound stupid but when you say line out you mean a jack marked "line out", not a speaker out, right?
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

using the line out will also be putting a way stronger signal into the preamp of the other amp if you just plug into the regular input where the guitar normally goes. this could have potentially damaging results.

if the peavey has an effects loop, put it into the return. Radial Bigshot is the best AB you can buy on a budget. don't use a TU2 or some dunlop piece of shit. they are pieces of shit. they will make bad noise.

my current rig is slavezzz. KT88 powered Ampeg V4 slaving a Fender Bassman 300, each head into a 4x12 and my massive homemade 6x12 filled with G12K-100's.
"user destroy has some opinions on bands." - tylerpicklesmith, 2010.
reece
Poutine & Chicken Fries

Post by reece »

you must be the dude from tempest.
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

lolz.

noooo.... ;)

tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

I always thought line level didn't go into amp inputs because of the impedance mismatch. I feel like a high gain pickup through a level boost and some pedals can't be that far off from an ordinary line level signal in terms of "level"

there are "re-amper" devices for connecting line level signals into an amp. I think they're basically the reverse of a DI box.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

destroy wrote:using the line out will also be putting a way stronger signal into the preamp of the other amp if you just plug into the regular input where the guitar normally goes. this could have potentially damaging results.
How?
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

tylerp wrote:I always thought line level didn't go into amp inputs because of the impedance mismatch. I feel like a high gain pickup through a level boost and some pedals can't be that far off from an ordinary line level signal in terms of "level"

there are "re-amper" devices for connecting line level signals into an amp. I think they're basically the reverse of a DI box.
Line level is not what the line out on most guitar heads gives you, although you can get amps that offer both a line level output and a regular line out (though I've never seen a tube amp with a line level output on it). Think of the Line Out as a Preamp Send. Same thing.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

but I've heard of people using line out on an amp into a board as a super dry signal to mix with a few cab mics. so that's not a line level situation? what is the impedance of an amp`s line out signal?
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

I'd say using the line out from a head into the instrument input of another amp can be damaging because it's basically just feeding the output of the preamp into the preamp of another amp. The one head is expecting the signal being put into it is going to be as strong as a guitar, but what it's gonna get is a big amplified version that's already been shaped and changed by another preamp. It'll be kinda like what they did back in the early days of rock where they would even feed the speaker outputs of a tube amp into another amp and cascade them for more distortion(!!)... but less risky. I've done it before, it sounds okay, but has the potential to make some funny noises... but I suppose I might be using more dirt than most. Not to say that you couldn't get similar signal levels with the right guitar & pickups and the right pedals... definitely seen some fuzz/OD pedals that warn you about how loud they are and the potential for damage.

The line level on the back of my broken Sovtek sitting on the floor in front of me says 0 db @ 200 ohms, which would put it pretty damn hot for an input stage. If you ran it into something low sensitive, put everything really neutral and put the gain down way low it might be usable though. Either way, line outs and DI's and all that sound awful for guitar.
reece
Poutine & Chicken Fries

Post by reece »

i really want a sovtek, are they sweet?
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

Woah woah woah.

Yes, you shouldn't put you're line out/loop out into just the guitar input on an amp because yes the signal is too strong and it can damage it, BUT, if both your amps have loops/in outs than use the loop in as your in, and then it runs your second amp as a slave. I am pretty certain this is what Andrew was talking about...

So it would look like

Guitar into "GUITAR INPUT" on amp 1, then use the effects loop out into Amp 2's effects loop in.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa

I think this is what Andrew was trying to say....
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

^^

except make sure you use the line out. don't use the effects loop out, otherwise you'll just be using the pre on the amp your guitar is plugged into and the power of the amp you're trying to slave. ;)
reece wrote:i really want a sovtek, are they sweet?
you've seen us with me using it, haven't you?

mine's the regular mig 100. it sounds like rock 'n roll. i can't guarantee it's EXACT, component for component, but it's a clone of a JCM800 2203... can't think of an amp more widely used, 'nuff said. mine's only given me trouble recently in the 4 years i've had it. i bought it for $500 on eBay. like most good secrets, the cat's kinda out of the bag on them by now, though.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

Hmm I totally always thought you could use the effects as well, it was just a softer/quieter signal than the line. (i've never done it, just thought)

ALTHOUGH, without a return, (ie something BACK in the effects loop) it may not work... so maybe i was just crazy...
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

I'm going to disagree with you guys that running the line out from one head into the guitar input of a second amp could damage the amp. It may not sound good, but I don't see any way this could cause damage. It's no different than running pedals or outboard preamps into the input on your amp. It'll just be an extra stage of gain.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

destroy wrote:^^except make sure you use the line out. don't use the effects loop out, otherwise you'll just be using the pre on the amp your guitar is plugged into and the power of the amp you're trying to slave. ;)
That is what a line out does, it sends a signal from the amp's preamp. Unless your line out/DI out includes a pre/post switch (my Aguilar has this), your line out will be "post" your preamp.
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

except if you only use the send of the effects loop on some amps you'll be cutting out the signal goIng through the one head completely! not every amp is like this... my Ampeg will output to a slave this way, but my Marshall won't (probably because it has recording compensated and line out jacks as well... no need).
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

destroy wrote:except if you only use the send of the effects loop on some amps you'll be cutting out the signal goIng through the one head completely! not every amp is like this... my Ampeg will output to a slave this way, but my Marshall won't (probably because it has recording compensated and line out jacks as well... no need).
I gotcha, I mis-read your meaning of line out vs. loop out. That is correct.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

sovteks rarely seem to make their way onto the island and it's even weird that sean has one in vancouver. the ones I know about are mig 50, 60, and 100 - referring to wattage. I believe their reputation is that of a starker/grittier jcm 800. tempest and cowards both use them. in the case of tempest, I can't really identify the sound of the sovtek because of that wall of amps and cabs that has the same effect as being hit in the head with like four different kinds of hammers. it sounded cool in cowards. I feel like kidcrash might have used one too... which would be weird because I would never call their tone stark or gritty.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂