VIHC FEST BAND CRITIQUES post yerz

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Andrew
Sea bass

Re: VIHC FEST BAND CRITIQUES post yerz

Post by Andrew »

xJohnnyx wrote:
stumped. wrote: Promises: their lead singer looks just like my uncle dave, and their guitarist is a sweetie. awsome tunes, too
This is the funniest/nicest review I have ever read of any band I have ever been associated with.
Not to mention a nice compliment to uncle dave.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

or an insult to uncle dave! ;)
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

i only saw day 1 but had a wonderful time.

No Eulogy: first time seeing them. enjoyed it. i think my favourite band of Willa's.

White Ribs: the second vocals helps for sure. i like them, they always impress me by how manic their music seems to be, yet they're so tight.

Joyce Collingwood: meh not really my thing. i thought the vocalist was good at what she did, but the BAND was pretty weak. if the singer sang in a more punk thing, I think it'd be better suited.

Putrid Brew: enjoyed it.

Persistence of Time: i like this band. i really like giles, so maybe im biased. but im not that into their front man. i think his vocals are pretty weak. if they had a better singer, i think this band would be way better.

Still Fighting/Still Birth: maybe i didn't "get it" but these two bands were the most "meh" part of the day. maybe my energy was low, as it was then when I went and got some food as I was super hungry, but what I saw of both bands I wasn't that into.

Substance: n/a

Blackwater: REALLY liked this band. super different, it was like they used feedback more than actual guitar chords and thought that was totally cool. so intense. and just all around amazing.

Compound Terror: was outside

Tempest: the guitar strap thing was pretty funny. good set. super loud. super awesome. dug it. and the singer was a super nice dude.

Horizons: A highlight. Super fun. Super tight. Super enjoyable.

Cold Craving: Easily my favourite band of the day for sure. Just totally awe inspiring arrangement. And as said the four part screams were cool. Picked up the record and have listened to it A LOT this last week. Also super nice dudes.

Voices: Good stuff. The tom waits cover was cool. Dug it.

AK47: i am hot and cold with this band. their guitar player is so intense and so awesome to watch, but i really dislike how much they do the whole "anti-establishment" stuff. i just think if youre going to preach it you HAVE to live it 100% or you're just being hypocritical. how can you say you're anti-captialism and then play a sweat-shop made guitar. i know, i know, it's impossible to be 100% anything, and im sure i sound like a dick, but it irks me.

Ill Intent: dug it.

Crucified: dug it.

Withdrawal: dug it,

Donnybrook!: went home

all in all really good day enjoyed it more than last year. stoked for next year.
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

figured id do this late cause im bored and whatever.
my memory is fuzzy after 2 weeks and drinking so my statements may or may not be fact

No Eulogy: i forget what song it was, but the last one you dedicated to me is my favorite (first world solutions?) some problems with sound but i still dug it. dug reece's noodling over the whole set too
White Ribs: i dont even know how many times ive seen this band but theyre good dudes and may not play the most accessible music but god damn they are tight live. record more of your songs!
Joyce Collingwood: didnt care about the samples i heard online, super into it live. i want to take the blonde guitarist on a date one day.
Putrid Brew: first moshes of the day. i wish they would make it to the coast more often, i think i lost my voice as soon as Soulless ended. good start to the day.
Persistence of Time: dig the new style, but i also really dig the cornier tough guy sound of the demo songs so its nice to see those live still
Still Fighting: i remember not digging the mix during them. couldnt hear the vocals at all, and i was stoked on Frozen to the Core. great band i want to see them again
Still Birth: fuuuuck. the drummer is nuts, i remember him from Hostile Life (or was it Losing Streak?) super into their set. nobody moved.. which was a drag. but aw well.
Substance: n/a bummed they didnt make it
Blackwater: missed half their set, was this the guy that filled in for No Truce last year? dug it, bought all their shit.
Compound Terror: good to see them again. funny the noise parts freaked out all the toughguys and people left. i sat with troy most of your set but came back out for "Irradiated Earth" cause that ones my favorite
Tempest: agreed on their best set. i liked the lights off approach, bummed i have to miss them at the troyler show tomorrow
Horizons: huge, ive always been "meh" on them but that changed after that set. everyone moshed, big circle pit. led zeppelin cover. oh man.
Cold Craving: outside/drinking
Voices: "meh" on them last year. suuuper stoked on their set this year. bought their cd, havent ripped it yet but i loved the live set
AK47: im not suppper into this band i think because i was never here back in the day, but i had a good time and whenever i see you guys i seem to end up yelling out the words... to songs i dont know, but somehow i know the lyrics. its weird, i dont know the songs but when the choruses come up i know them haha
Ill Intent: I kept calling these guys Thrill Intent, because I thought they were thrilling.
Crucified: wish the placed moved for these guys. the new record is a rager. bought their shit.
Withdrawal: one of my fucking favorites. i lost everything i had for this band and was exhausted the rest of the night and sat out. sang most of the lyrics, lost my voice AGAIN. seeing devlan throw out the floorpunching made my night. i love it when you see people not giving a fuck and throwing down because they get lost in the moment, i even saw nick throwing down a little too it was great (pauly i want to see video of this set so bad!)
Donnybrook!: we all felt like it was 2005 again and it was a great feeling to come back to that. i stayed on the side but it was fun as hell

Day 2

Victims Choice: so whos next at fucking up the Pressures On cover? first i dropped the ball, then zach did, whos next!?
Young Oppression: outside/drinking
Sabertooth: sound was horrible, coulding make out anything. love this band though regardless, hope theyt make it out again
Fear of Tomorrow: this band rules but i left halfway because i had seen them before, and i just wanted fresh air and to talk with friends
Tongue Tied: outside/drinking
On Call Heroes: outside/drinking (i really do like their Country Girl song troy put up though)
Promises: VIHC! best set theyve played. biggest circle pit of the whole fest
Damages: my memory gets hazy around here. missed half the set cause i was drinking, great band and dudes
Everyone Everywhere: i like this band a lot, weird there wasnt really a crowd for them at all. left halfway through for more drinks
Make Do and Mend: outside/drinking
Slingshot: DRUNK AS ALL HELL AT THIS POINT. SHIRTS OFF. FUCKING MOSH HOLY FUCK MY VOICE IS GONE AGAIN!
Shook Ones: missed the first song cuase of outside/drinking. sprained my ankle super fucking bad. wish i wasnt so drunk and bought their LP :(

Overall the fest was pree cool. Next year needs more crusty bands and more melodic hardcore/post-hardcore. I like the tuff guy stuff but it needs to get broken up a lot more. Also smaller venue(s), would make the sound for most of the bands better, and that's what is most important to me. Regardless I still had a smashing time. Kudos to Troy/Willa/Zach/Scott/Ebony/Pauly D
soxfullanikkels
VIHC Poster

Post by soxfullanikkels »

K, I think I've had enough time to digest the fest, so here goes.

No Eulogy: Really like the new sound, guys. Rulez. Next time maybe a What Fresh Hell Cover......
White Ribs: Not super into the whole locust thing, but always big props for musicianship and wearing kidnap bags.
Joyce Collingwood: Maybe the funniest moment of day one: Watching a room full of bros stare for a whole 15 minutes. It's hard to dance when babes are in full effect.
Putrid Brew: Love this band. To echo Keith, wish they made it to the coast more often. Next year these guys need an evening slot.
Persistence of Time: Again, another band I like. Rad new metal influenced sound, same great frontman. I forget whether or not they played Time Ends, but they should have.
Still Fighting: Dirty work is how we get our shit done. That, and punching ourselves in the face. Rules.
Still Birth: Outside. Bummed I missed it.
Blackwater: Really refreshing. Rad guys, raw sounds, cheap merch. Great set.
Compound Terror: Outside. Got some food.
Tempest: Spectacular band. Second time seeing them, and they just keep getting better and better. Anything more I could say would just sound like ass kissing. Pumped for the Ghostlimb/Tempest show.
Horizons: Maybe the first moment of the fest when I felt that it was a community rather than a bunch of people dressed similarly standing and listening. Fun set, want them to come to VIC/VAN more often.
Cold Craving: Caught the last song, and thought they were really really good. Exhausted at this point.
Voices: Surprising set. Creative and interesting, and any hardcore band with the balls to cover Tom Waits gets a thumbs up in my books.
AK 47: Missed the heyday of these guys, so my appreciation is limited, but they brought the 80's vibes HARD. Wish more people had stayed for their set.
Ill Intent: Always liked this band. Huge mosh. And the singer beat me and Keith up with his eyes later.
Crucified: Fucking phenomenal. I've been bumping these guys for months, and seeing them live was awesome payoff. The singer seemed to be dropping lyrics, so singalongs were impaired, but that's just a nitpick. Because I'm kind of an asshole.
Withdrawal: I went into full blind fury mosh mode for this one. No glasses, floorpunching, windmills and doomclaws. Unknown Misery is the most ferocious record to come out of Canada in a long time, and a long time personal favourite.
Donnybrook!: I blew my party load during Withdrawal, so I just kinda hung back. Bummed out they didn't play What's a Little Blood.

Day 2

Victim's Choice: Pressures Off. But the rest of the set was really really good. A massive improvement since I saw them last.
Young Oppression: Skipped it.
Sabretooth: Couldn't hear shit, but I really like this band, so I repped. Plus, some of the dudes were in Act Fast! So props there as well.
Fear of Tomorrow: Sounded awesome, but I needed to just chill at this point.
Tongue Tied: I was still outside. I'll catch em next time....
On Call Heroes: Not my thing, hit the bleachers.
Promises: Holdin it down for the Island. Great set, great band, great dudes.
Damages: Blew my mind. Period.
Everyone Everywhere: I went on a Pizza run, but they are fun.....
Make Do and Mend: Still at pizza.
Slingshot: My shirt and glasses both came off. Pile ons, gang vox, blew my voice out. I can't remember the last time I've had that much fun at a show.
Shook Ones: Watched, but super tired. Really great band, and it was dissapointing they had to be cut short. But life happens.

To summarize, this year ruled. I had a fucking BLAST.
Thanks again to everyone involved in the organizing of the thing.
I have no real suggestions for next year, except for a headlining duo:

MINDSET + Trapped Under Ice. Charm City meets the Garden City

And probably burns it down.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

keith. wrote: Joyce Collingwood: didnt care about the samples i heard online, super into it live. i want to take the blonde guitarist on a date one day.
awesome, I said the exact same thing to Reece after their set. Reece was more into the vocalist.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

soxfullanikkels wrote:Bummed out they didn't play What's a Little Blood.
This was played sorry you missed it. Its the only sunshine on that whole split
SewnFlesh
VIHC Poster

Post by SewnFlesh »

soxfullanikkels wrote: Joyce Collingwood: Maybe the funniest moment of day one: Watching a room full of bros stare for a whole 15 minutes. It's hard to dance when babes are in full effect.
and you wonder why there are not more women in hardcore.
soxfullanikkels
VIHC Poster

Post by soxfullanikkels »

No one wonders. Hardcore shows are like Comicon with jean shorts.
reece
Poutine & Chicken Fries

Post by reece »

thanks to everyone who said good things about both my bands sets (XNo EulogyX & Victims Choice)

Pressures on was Zachs idea.
He dropped the ball on a Minor Threat cover.
boo to Zach.
Human-Demise wrote: that cause your an anti-semite.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

soxfullanikkels wrote:No one wonders. Hardcore shows are like Comicon with jean shorts.

This. Watching my dude-bro friends fall over themselves when a pretty girl is in the room is always hilarious. Plus, I definitely have a hilarious story involving a well known Victoria gal, a well known Vancouver dude and the movie "Footloose" that completely backs this statement up.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

Joyce Collingwood could have looked like anything, and I still would have not watched them.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

SewnFlesh wrote:
soxfullanikkels wrote: Joyce Collingwood: Maybe the funniest moment of day one: Watching a room full of bros stare for a whole 15 minutes. It's hard to dance when babes are in full effect.
and you wonder why there are not more women in hardcore.
nobody wonders why there are not more women in hardcore.
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

Hollow wrote:
soxfullanikkels wrote:No one wonders. Hardcore shows are like Comicon with jean shorts.

This. Watching my dude-bro friends fall over themselves when a pretty girl is in the room is always hilarious. Plus, I definitely have a hilarious story involving a well known Victoria gal, a well known Vancouver dude and the movie "Footloose" that completely backs this statement up.
natt
Probably not a spambot

Post by natt »

thanks to everyone who said good things about still fighting and our pals in stillbirth. had a blast playing the vest and meeting new peeps. hopefully ill fated will make it out next year if the fest happens again.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:
Hollow wrote:

I will tell you the WHOLE THING for a simple payment of beer. Perhaps before you take off for the ocean depths?
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.