Introduce yourself

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

darcy
VIHC Poster

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by darcy »

Met a guy at the all-ages Sublime tribute show who was wearing a Vancouver Hardcore shirt - said he liked Go it Alone. He just moved here and I mentioned this site. WHERE ARE YOU, BRO?!
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
ghostthroats
VIHC Poster

Post by ghostthroats »

YEAH GUY, WHERE YOU AT?
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

darcy wrote:Met a guy at the all-ages Sublime tribute show who was wearing a Vancouver Hardcore shirt - said he liked Go it Alone. He just moved here and I mentioned this site. WHERE ARE YOU, BRO?!
Was it a navy blue shirt? if so there aren't that many of those. Never would I expect there to be an overlap in the worlds of sublime fans and recipients on those shirts.
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Andrew wrote:
ghostthroats wrote:edit: you know what? fuck it.
there is no use arguing because i know, no matter what, i'll enjoy myself at shows. i don't give enough a fuck to write details of my negative experiences with the scene.
YEAH
so, sorry for seeming so arbitrarily negative towards van. because i'm not. i'm just an advocate for friendliness and not judgement.
You aren't wrong that Van can feel unwelcoming. We've been over this before on here. There's reasons good and bad for this, but ultimately it is easy to get out there and meet people. Next Van show with Jelly Boyz, Kunta Haji, Damages, Mouse Ear, Out Of Sight, Tempest on the bill just come up and introduce yourself to the band and remind any of us you're from the VI board and you want to meet some new people, you'll get introduced around.

Or pm Destroy on here and get him to take you to a show. He knows everyone, and is a sweet dude.
I'm really starting to get sick of this. The expectation that a room full of socially inept people are going to roll out a red carpet for every person who comes through the door is insane. I constantly hear that people I dont know think that my peers and/or myself are dicks to them as though its some kind of cold shoulder conspiracy when in reality these people never bother themselves to say hello.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

heyjealousy wrote:
Andrew wrote:
there is no use arguing because i know, no matter what, i'll enjoy myself at shows. i don't give enough a fuck to write details of my negative experiences with the scene.
YEAH
so, sorry for seeming so arbitrarily negative towards van. because i'm not. i'm just an advocate for friendliness and not judgement.
You aren't wrong that Van can feel unwelcoming. We've been over this before on here. There's reasons good and bad for this, but ultimately it is easy to get out there and meet people. Next Van show with Jelly Boyz, Kunta Haji, Damages, Mouse Ear, Out Of Sight, Tempest on the bill just come up and introduce yourself to the band and remind any of us you're from the VI board and you want to meet some new people, you'll get introduced around.

Or pm Destroy on here and get him to take you to a show. He knows everyone, and is a sweet dude.
I'm really starting to get sick of this. The expectation that a room full of socially inept people are going to roll out a red carpet for every person who comes through the door is insane. I constantly hear that people I dont know think that my peers and/or myself are dicks to them as though its some kind of cold shoulder conspiracy when in reality these people never bother themselves to say hello.

I have to disagree. I find that the term "socially awkward" or "socially inept" are just excuses a lot of people (although not all) use in order to justify their dickhead behaviour. The fact is, I have clinical depression and anxiety disorder, and I manage to be at least moderately friendly to people at shows. My experience is by no means universal, but at the same time it is fairly relevant. I've been to a ton of Vancouver shows, and I have to say that there are a lot of people who are genuinely wonderful. There are also a lot of people who are genuinely douchebags. Just call it like it is, and accept that your community has problems just like every punk community has problems.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

I'm socially awkward, but I'm still a nice mother fucker.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:
Andrew wrote:
YEAH

I have to disagree. I find that the term "socially awkward" or "socially inept" are just excuses a lot of people (although not all) use in order to justify their dickhead behaviour. The fact is, I have clinical depression and anxiety disorder, and I manage to be at least moderately friendly to people at shows. My experience is by no means universal, but at the same time it is fairly relevant. I've been to a ton of Vancouver shows, and I have to say that there are a lot of people who are genuinely wonderful. There are also a lot of people who are genuinely douchebags. Just call it like it is, and accept that your community has problems just like every punk community has problems.
The first time I ever saw you at a show you were saying hi and meeting people, you have a leg to stand on for you argument. I'm talking about people who hide in a corner all night then call people assholes for not finding them.
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Human-Demise wrote:I'm socially awkward, but I'm still a nice mother fucker.
you are a true freak, but also very nice!
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

heyjealousy wrote:
darcy wrote:Met a guy at the all-ages Sublime tribute show who was wearing a Vancouver Hardcore shirt - said he liked Go it Alone. He just moved here and I mentioned this site. WHERE ARE YOU, BRO?!
Was it a navy blue shirt? if so there aren't that many of those. Never would I expect there to be an overlap in the worlds of sublime fans and recipients on those shirts.
With so many other shows happening that night it really is hard to imagine he'd be caught dead at a Sublime tribute show at a local bar. I figure he was never a deserving recipient of that shirt and should more than likely get his card pulled.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

heyjealousy wrote:
Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:
Andrew wrote:
YEAH

The first time I ever saw you at a show you were saying hi and meeting people, you have a leg to stand on for you argument. I'm talking about people who hide in a corner all night then call people assholes for not finding them.

That's fair, and would piss me off too. However, you made a pretty absolute statement that didn't take a lot of context into it. For example, people in punk rock are socially inept, yes? Well, then it stands to reason that people who come to their first punk show would ALSO be socially inept. To paraphrase you, it's ridiculous to expect socially inept people to go into a room full of people they've never met and start introducing themselves. Sure, you can't make everyone happy and often you'll be called elitist when it's completely undeserved. But Vancouver (and Victoria and every other punk community) needs to understand that the onus is partially on them as well to make new people feel comfortable.

In short, no it's not fair to be accused of being a dick simply because you didn't introduce yourself, but it's also our responsibility to make people feel as welcome as possible.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:
Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote: I'm really starting to get sick of this. The expectation that a room full of socially inept people are going to roll out a red carpet for every person who comes through the door is insane. I constantly hear that people I dont know think that my peers and/or myself are dicks to them as though its some kind of cold shoulder conspiracy when in reality these people never bother themselves to say hello.

That's fair, and would piss me off too. However, you made a pretty absolute statement that didn't take a lot of context into it. For example, people in punk rock are socially inept, yes? Well, then it stands to reason that people who come to their first punk show would ALSO be socially inept. To paraphrase you, it's ridiculous to expect socially inept people to go into a room full of people they've never met and start introducing themselves. Sure, you can't make everyone happy and often you'll be called elitist when it's completely undeserved. But Vancouver (and Victoria and every other punk community) needs to understand that the onus is partially on them as well to make new people feel comfortable.

In short, no it's not fair to be accused of being a dick simply because you didn't introduce yourself, but it's also our responsibility to make people feel as welcome as possible.
I feel like we are both pretty well on the same page here though you are a bit more optimistic seeing the glass as half full while I'm sitting on my porch telling children to get off my lawn.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

heyjealousy wrote:
Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:
Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote: I'm really starting to get sick of this. The expectation that a room full of socially inept people are going to roll out a red carpet for every person who comes through the door is insane. I constantly hear that people I dont know think that my peers and/or myself are dicks to them as though its some kind of cold shoulder conspiracy when in reality these people never bother themselves to say hello.

I feel like we are both pretty well on the same page here though you are a bit more optimistic seeing the glass as half full while I'm sitting on my porch telling children to get off my lawn.

Hahahaha. Yeah, I'd say so. WHOS THE OLD MAN NOW, EH?
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

Hollow wrote:WHOS THE OLD MAN NOW, EH?
uh, still you? you do actually have a porch, also that chopin' block.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Who would want to be friends with Hunter anyway
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Human-Demise wrote:
Hollow wrote:WHOS THE OLD MAN NOW, EH?
uh, still you? you do actually have a porch, also that chopin' block.

WHERES MY SHIRT Alexis
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

officespace wrote:Who would want to be friends with Hunter anyway
The few friends I have can barely tolerate me.
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

Hunter = GOD

fuck everyone. He is all I care about.
Victoria Straight Edge
JRIA
VIHC Poster

Post by JRIA »

yea
your pal, JR.
FANTASTIC WOUND
VIHC Poster

Post by FANTASTIC WOUND »

Been a while. Been bored, so I'm back. I can tell how thrilled you all are.

Name: Tim
Fav Bands: Swarrrm, Expectorated Sequence, Vida Blue, Gigantic Brain, Dawn Treader... fuck it.

Question: Is this board still super-pc or can I say faggot without someone jumping down my throat?
THREAD-KILLER
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

Actually now that I think about it... going back to what I remember when this topic came up before, the board gave a resounding NAY to using that word. Which makes sense as we've all graduated high school.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh