OPEN RELATIONSHIP / MASS MARRIAGE show at TALK'S CHEAP

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

wolfgang
VIHC Poster

OPEN RELATIONSHIP / MASS MARRIAGE show at TALK'S CHEAP

Post by wolfgang »

I know you that most of you guys were busy with the meeting last Friday, and couldn't make it down to TALK'S CHEAP to see OPEN RELATIONSHIP and MASS MARRIAGE. It was a really fun show though. I know some of you aren't into them, but I think OPEN RELATIONSHIP are exactly what the Victoria punk scene needs...nervous, amateur and a little juvenile...this band has a shitload of potential. Mel was over from Van for thanksgiving...she stopped in the store, and I asked if she had a band yet. She said she had a solo project, so I said she was playing with OPEN RELATIONSHIP that night...she said OK. That solo project was MASS MARRIAGE...and it was RAD! Place was packed...here's some shitty pics...

Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Re: OPEN RELATIONSHIP / MASS MARRIAGE show at TALK'S CHEAP

Post by Jordan f. »

bummed I couldn't make this. Glad it went well dude. Did you drink beer from that sweet free glass? :lol:
Victoria Straight Edge
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

I have the biggest crush on the guitar player from OR, which is a sentiment I've heard echoed many other times about her.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

From what I gather, she's dating Al (the guy with the neck and head tattoos from the first photo)...you could make a move on here, but I hear he's a helluva kick boxer...
ian
VIHC Poster

Post by ian »

omg i have crusxh on the bassist
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

OMGZ GURLZ MAKE-A TEH MUZIKS?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.
SewnFlesh
VIHC Poster

Post by SewnFlesh »

was at this show.. pretty fun time. Introduced myself to you wolfgang.

Open Relationship do have potential and I enjoyed them at this show. Hopefully they keep working at being better musicians and get some gear cause after a while the new band stoke will wear off and then your just another shitty punk band. They have a good singer who at this point kind of makes the band.

Mass Marriage was interesting... something I would expect to see at noisefest.

ps I have a huge crush on that dude with head tats and waxed mustache.
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

glad it went well. i worked till 11. bummerzzz
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Will definitely be at the next one. I'm also stoked on OR, hope they keep practicing and keep at it.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

Hopefully they keep working at being better musicians and get some gear cause after a while the new band stoke will wear off and then your just another shitty punk band. They have a good singer who at this point kind of makes the band.
Personally, I don't give a shit whether they work on being better musicians or get better gear (or any gear for that matter...they drums, a guitar amp, and plugged the bass right into the PA)...all I wanna see is them write some decent, catchy tunes and develop some stage presence. This town needs more bands who don't give a fuck how well they play or what they play it through...to show the kids that anyone can start a fucking band. I mean, it would have if they had amps and shit...but I'd rather see an energetic band thats barely able to hold a set of decent songs together, than a well oiled machine playing thousands of dollars of gear....I think Open Relationship can be that for me...
SewnFlesh
VIHC Poster

Post by SewnFlesh »

wolfgang wrote:
Hopefully they keep working at being better musicians and get some gear cause after a while the new band stoke will wear off and then your just another shitty punk band. They have a good singer who at this point kind of makes the band.
Personally, I don't give a shit whether they work on being better musicians or get better gear (or any gear for that matter...they drums, a guitar amp, and plugged the bass right into the PA)...all I wanna see is them write some decent, catchy tunes and develop some stage presence. This town needs more bands who don't give a fuck how well they play or what they play it through...to show the kids that anyone can start a fucking band. I mean, it would have if they had amps and shit...but I'd rather see an energetic band thats barely able to hold a set of decent songs together, than a well oiled machine playing thousands of dollars of gear....I think Open Relationship can be that for me...
I think playing with energy and writing catchy tunes comes from being a better musician... don't get me wrong here.. I think what they are doing is great and they do not sound like any other bands in Victoria. As far as gear goes thats just my opinion.. the only thing I could hear was the vocals. I don't think its totally alienating to the kids to have good sound and you don't need thousands of dollars of gear to have half decent sound.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

SewnFlesh wrote:
wolfgang wrote:
I think playing with energy and writing catchy tunes comes from being a better musician... don't get me wrong here.. I think what they are doing is great and they do not sound like any other bands in Victoria. As far as gear goes thats just my opinion.. the only thing I could hear was the vocals. I don't think its totally alienating to the kids to have good sound and you don't need thousands of dollars of gear to have half decent sound.

I actually agree with Jeff on this one. I think they're gonna be way better once they have some more practice/experience. What I would add is that I see a hell of a lot of potential in that band, and that I think all four of them could become excellent musicians in their own way. Their first show was wicked good, and considering that they've only been at it for a month says a lot. Despite being super nervous they still pull it off, and their lead singer (I think her name is Fiona?) has a Patti Smith vibe. I dig all around.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

I think being a better musician has to do with being able to play your instrument better. I'd rather see these girls work on being better performers than work on being better musicians at this point...if they just keep doing what they're doing, but let loose on stage, everything else will come with time.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

wolfgang wrote:I think being a better musician has to do with being able to play your instrument better. I'd rather see these girls work on being better performers than work on being better musicians at this point...if they just keep doing what they're doing, but let loose on stage, everything else will come with time.
Fair enough. Either way, I'm into the band.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

Sometimes the most exciting comes out of the least trained. If anything, it's a different take on music and a different perspective, which is refreshing. I think raw and unadulterated talent can be really great and even re-inventive. Plus, I like all of them (except I dunno the guitarist).
I don't think you necessarily have to be composed of a good 'technical' musicians to be a good band (though they're usually correlated). I mean the opposite end of the spectrum is musicians that are only appreciated by musicians.
VIVA like
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

KYLESTYLE wrote:Sometimes the most exciting comes out of the least trained. If anything, it's a different take on music and a different perspective, which is refreshing. I think raw and unadulterated talent can be really great and even re-inventive. Plus, I like all of them (except I dunno the guitarist).
I don't think you necessarily have to be composed of a good 'technical' musicians to be a good band (though they're usually correlated). I mean the opposite end of the spectrum is musicians that are only appreciated by musicians.

I absolutely agree with this. I just happen to think that in this particular case, they could use more practice. That's not meant to be negative, I think my own band needs more practice too. Bands should practice. I like practicing.
reece
Poutine & Chicken Fries

Post by reece »

i have no idea how to play my guitar.
Human-Demise wrote: that cause your an anti-semite.
ian
VIHC Poster

Post by ian »

has chloe figured out how to play her bass? i tried to teach her how to play now i want to sniff some glue by the ramones once but she said she was too baked. i wish i could see these kids play.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

ian wrote:has chloe figured out how to play her bass? i tried to teach her how to play now i want to sniff some glue by the ramones once but she said she was too baked. i wish i could see these kids play.
i was so proud of her when i saw them! she was great!
VIVA like
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

How can I contact these ladies? I want to book them!