Does anyone here listen to punk-rock?

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Does anyone here listen to punk-rock?

Post by wolfgang »

You guys seem to be all about antiquated punk rock music, metal and metal influenced stuff. Who listens to 80's styled hardcore or punk-rock? Anybody listen to modern, punk influenced hardcore, or is Victoria all about the metal?

I know there will be a few people who list off some token 80's bands as influnces, but who REALLY likes fast punk-rock?
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Re: Does anyone here listen to punk-rock?

Post by dalamar501 »

Just cause a lot of us are mainly into the modern stuff or go / book shows for that kind of stuff doesn't mean we aren't really into the older stuff / older influenced stuff.

Mike who posts as Ron Burgundy is also really into the older stuff.

Victoria isn't all about the metal.
I am not a huge metal fan.. i do listen to metal influenced hardcore but not really any straight up metal really.

Yeah people will list off the token 80's bands but i really think they do like that fast punk-rock stuff.

Just cause we seem to be all about the other stuff doesn't mean we aren't into other stuff or open to it. We aren't like those livevic people that totally ripped into a lot of the stuff you tried to post about on that thread like a year ago hah.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

I find a lot of 80's-styled hardcore and fast punk rock to be pretty boring. some of it I like.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

See...I like alot of older metal...but I like most metal influenced hardcore or punk. Idealistically and stylistically...punk and metal are two different things. I think grindcore sucks...most of it has no redeeming qualities...and besides energy, offers nothing that punk-rock or metal does.

I got into punk and hardcore because anyone could do it...it wasn't technical, or hard to play...and you could play it on $50 guitars and $100 amps. antiquated punk rock music (since the 80's) and most metal is more technical, and most people playing it do so through decent gear. Not every kid can do it.

Tyler...you say you find most 80's sttyled hardcore and fast punk to be boring, but you like some. What do you like?
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

regarding 80's bands and 80's styled bands...

some I like a lot, which probably include the token bands you'd expect:
black flag - I'm more partial to the slower stuff, I like Greg Ginn's guitar work a lot
bad brains - nobody else really seems to sound like them, I think their songs are more carefully constructed than a lot of their contemporaries
minor threat
flipper - whoops, they're slow
youth of today, slapshot, gorilla biscuits, etc - sounds more like what you call "antiquated punk rock music", not worth discussing here because I bet you don't like the bands of the later 80's and we're talking about the fast 80's styled hardcore

some I tolerate but don't go out of my way to listen to:
ssd, circle jerks, negative approach, dys, infest, regulations

some I'm not especially fond of at all:
government issue, necros, fear, dead kennedys, angry samoans, zero boys, etc.

just because you see nothing redeeming in grindcore doesn't mean others don't. also I'd argue that fast punk is harder to play. I find it way easier to play riffy grooves and melodic lines than I do to play the same four chords, really fast, in time with a fast drum beat. I always trip over my fingers on fast stuff.

there's a dude named mike who's a drummer and super into fast hardcore. you guys should jam.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

i like zero boys and goverment issue perhaps more than tyler.

But for the most part have the same interests as he does for older stuff i guess i also like ssd, dys, etc more than he does as well
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Music that punks like to call "antiquated punk rock music" has been played by bands for like 20 years now. I'm also not sure how some kids having nice gear makes it inaccesable. There are plenty of kids with shitty gear, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. I mean granted, you don't see too many kids playing on $50 guitars and $100 amps, but that's probably because such things don't exist any more. I don't even understand why this should be an issue in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of old punk, but it's 2009 dude. Yelling about cops sucking over top of three chords at a million miles per hour just isn't as relevant any more.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

but... cops suck...!
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

I have a black flag tattoo, but I mostly listen to nu metal
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

i really, really like The Rebel Spell
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

I think yelling about cops sucking over 3 chords is just as relvant as ever...especially in a city like Victoria. How isn't it?

I don't see kids in this town listening to punk-rock. I don't see many kids doing much of anything...nobody is starting abnds...nobody is doing zines, etc, etc. Alot of this is because there is nothing around to show them that they can do it too. The cheap gear thing was just an off hand comment. If all kids see is metal and hardcore shows where guys get up and shred the shit outa expensive gear tossing out technical shit...they are gonna be embarrassed to get up there with their cheap hand me down gear and bust out some inept punk songs.

I go to metal, hardcore and noise shows in town because there are no other options. Just wondering if anyone likes punk-rock...and if so, why there is such a lack of people putting on punk shows, etc in this town. I like punk because absolutely anyone can do it...it is the most diverse genre of music ever...and the most inclusive. Punk-rock will always be relevant...

OK...another thing I've noticed about some of you guys. You like your post 90's hardcore and metally stuff...and then you also really like indie-rock shit. Tyler, you call 80's hardcores and punk-rock boring...nut I KNOW you listen to some super mopey indie pap...c'mon!

The great thing about 80's hardcore (and 70's punk!) is that the bands were still really different. I never went for tough guy macho bullshit...so stuff like Minor Threat (circa "Out Of step"), Government Issue, Really Red, Chronic Sick, Big Boys, Battalion Of Saints, Reagan Youth, 7 seconds, Angry Samoans, etc was always more my bag. I played in a couple Straight edge bands in the early 90's in Edmonton...really into the YoT, Uniform Choice, Gorilla Biscuits, Insted, Slapshop vibe...but around that time their seemed to be and influx of meatheads into the scene, and the metal really took hold, and everything became really boring. All the bands started doing the same shit...and hardcore became really fucking boring.

Are you serious about The Rebel Spell? I only saw them once and they were really boring...Rawk guitarist wanna-be chick with a really bad vocalist. One of the most overated bands in Western Canada...
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

wolfgang wrote: If all kids see is metal and hardcore shows where guys get up and shred the shit outa expensive gear tossing out technical shit...they are gonna be embarrassed to get up there with their cheap hand me down gear and bust out some inept punk songs.

I go to metal, hardcore and noise shows in town because there are no other options. Just wondering if anyone likes punk-rock...and if so, why there is such a lack of people putting on punk shows, etc in this town. I like punk because absolutely anyone can do it...it is the most diverse genre of music ever...and the most inclusive. Punk-rock will always be relevant...

I played in a couple Straight edge bands in the early 90's in Edmonton...really into the YoT, Uniform Choice, Gorilla Biscuits, Insted, Slapshop vibe...but around that time their seemed to be and influx of meatheads into the scene, and the metal really took hold, and everything became really boring. All the bands started doing the same shit...and hardcore became really fucking boring.
I don't know if i agree that most bands go out there with expensive gear and then shred away at it. I mean there are the few that do but also still a lot of antiquated punk rock music that is really simple, maybe not as simple as earlier punk-rock. But then again i am way more into Youth Crew hardcore than the more metal influenced stuff.

I think for the most part most of us don't do straight up punk-rock shows as it isn't our main interest. If i liked the band enough i would possibly put a show on for them. But for the most part i am going out and finding bands i want to play or that have tours coming by. I would attend other shows however.

I still think punk can be relevant.

Also i also listen to fun indie pop mushy stuff like tyler does....
haha..
Victoria Straight Edge
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

wolfgang wrote: Are you serious about The Rebel Spell? I only saw them once and they were really boring...Rawk guitarist wanna-be chick with a really bad vocalist. One of the most overated bands in Western Canada...
theyre one of my favorite bands im completely serious. ive bought everything theyve released and its fucking passionate. i would suggest trying to take an honest listen into their discography but hey, if you dont like it then who am i to try and say otherwise. i think they rule and they are always trying to play all ages shows here and i think thats rad.
ebony
VIHC Poster

Post by ebony »

i am really into metal influenced hardcore, but thats because my sisters were into that type when i was old enough, mainly my oldest sister, who also regulated punk shows and supported the fast punk rock type of hardcore, before my time. i really have a taste for it all, i dont see why everyone has to like one or the other. i rarely ever post on the internet at all about my taste in music, because it doesnt mean to shits to me what anyone thinks of what i like.
grind/bro wrote:
The front should say VAN ISLE HARDCORE in dripping blood font, with Jesus being impaled on a railway spike with goats dancing around him. The goats must also have bullet belts.
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

It matters to me because I want to meet more people in town to talk music with, or listen to records with. If I wanna talk metal, I can find dozens of people, same with indie-rock, gutter punk, etc, etc....you guys have each other to talk about your stuff, etc. If I wanna talk about decent punk-rock or hardcore, or find people to help me bring bands to town, or even find people to start a fucking band with, it's a nightmare.

I don't get newer hardcore because it doesn't sound as pure...it's been mixed with too many other genres, and it's too far away from it's origins (which I love). Alot of it just seems so contrived. Of courseI'm not talking all newer hardcore...I'm speaking in broad terms...and I'm still looking for those bands that change my mind.

Now, about The Rebel Spell. I don't get it...they just seem bland to me. What other punk bands are you into...
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

you dont have to like rap metal to talk to me about music, Im told I am a good listener.
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

i like speedier types of punk rock

dwarves
turbonegro
zeke

not really into any snotty drunkpunk or anything. i need speed and aggresion in most of my music, punkrock aint no exception
ebony
VIHC Poster

Post by ebony »

i definetly get what you are saying about talking music, that makes alot of sense to me, and we do alot of that between each other when we are in the same place, however, i do like that this "antiquated punk rock music" is mixed genres, i like the sound of music that has been adapted and changed, evolved into something new, because thats what absolutley everything else in the world does and to me that is what makes something pure. things have to change eventually, and theres alot of people out there that appreciate something strictly original, and i think that a healthy mix of both is really the greatest. i mean, i dont really want a bunch of punk music to come along right now that sounds exactly like a carbon copy of something that was fresh in 1990. thast just me, though.
grind/bro wrote:
The front should say VAN ISLE HARDCORE in dripping blood font, with Jesus being impaled on a railway spike with goats dancing around him. The goats must also have bullet belts.
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

most kids that post on here like punk. What are some "antiquated punk rock music" bands you are listening to? Maybe that's why. There are tons of bands out there that have a big 80's hardcore/punk influence. Listen to Mindset (on React Records) if you are into bands like UC and YoT.

Also, hardcore is played through expensive gear? I played bass in a band (we played in victoria, vancouver, kelowna) and my bass cost me like 45$ (it even came with a case! haha some people on here know that story) and played through my guitar players shitty (it sounded ok..just not expensive) amp. If someone wants to spend money on gear sweet! if they can't no one is going to leave the show because there guitar is cheap.
Victoria Straight Edge
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

wolfgang wrote:I think yelling about cops sucking over 3 chords is just as relvant as ever...especially in a city like Victoria. How isn't it?
The thing is, we've all heard that song thousand of times over. I'm all for hating on cops, but when your saying the same thing for 30 years it starts to get pretty boring. I mean, I love bands like Reagan Youth, The Pagans, Ramones, Teen Idles, and so on and so forth. But I think the big difference is that when they came along they were doing something new. A lot of the newer punk bands I'm hearing now just sound like recycled versions of old bands to me, and that takes away a lot of the excitment. It's not so much what they're saying that isn't relevant, but the way they're saying it. But I mean at the same time, if that's what you're into then I guess it's relevant to you and in matters of personal taste that's what's important.
I don't see kids in this town listening to punk-rock. I don't see many kids doing much of anything...nobody is starting abnds...nobody is doing zines, etc, etc. Alot of this is because there is nothing around to show them that they can do it too.
Off the top of my head I can think of tons of kids who are starting bands and doing zines. Most of them post here. Now granted, these probably aren't the types of bands you'd like to see started but never the less they're maintaing DIY ethics and punk rock sense of urgency. I can also think of at least a couple labes and distros in town that are keepin' it DIY and accesable.
The cheap gear thing was just an off hand comment. If all kids see is metal and hardcore shows where guys get up and shred the shit outa expensive gear tossing out technical shit...they are gonna be embarrassed to get up there with their cheap hand me down gear and bust out some inept punk songs.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here. Who are these bands? I'm also not really sure why inept punk band would be playing shows with dudes who shred the shit out of their gear. Mixed shows rule and all, but it's not like anybody is going to book the Drunken Imibcils to play with Converge. Maybe you just have the misfortune of living in a town where the kind of music you want to hear isn't really what's going on?

I go to metal, hardcore and noise shows in town because there are no other options. Just wondering if anyone likes punk-rock...and if so, why there is such a lack of people putting on punk shows, etc in this town.
Probably because people aren't taking it upon themselve to promote shows in this town? The great thing about punk rock is that anybody can do it, but if people aren't taking upon themselves to actually do it, then nothing gets done.
OK...another thing I've noticed about some of you guys. You like your post 90's hardcore and metally stuff...and then you also really like indie-rock shit. Tyler, you call 80's hardcores and punk-rock boring...nut I KNOW you listen to some super mopey indie pap...c'mon!
Diffrent people like different things, which I think is what a lot of this boils down to.
The great thing about 80's hardcore (and 70's punk!) is that the bands were still really different. I never went for tough guy macho bullshit...so stuff like Minor Threat (circa "Out Of step"), Government Issue, Really Red, Chronic Sick, Big Boys, Battalion Of Saints, Reagan Youth, 7 seconds, Angry Samoans, etc was always more my bag. I played in a couple Straight edge bands in the early 90's in Edmonton...really into the YoT, Uniform Choice, Gorilla Biscuits, Insted, Slapshop vibe...but around that time their seemed to be and influx of meatheads into the scene, and the metal really took hold, and everything became really boring. All the bands started doing the same shit...and hardcore became really fucking boring.
As much as I like that meathead element in hardcore, I think it gets blown our of proportion a lot of the time. I've been going to punk shows for over 10 years now, and hardcore shows for 5 or 6, and I'm pretty comfortable saying that I've seen a lot more violence and pig headed attitudes in punk rock. When I first started getting into hardcore, nobody cared that I had a foot tall blue mohawk and thought that Dayglo Abortions were the best shit ever they were just stoked that I liked the music. When I went to punk shows and tried to talk to people who loved to position themseves as open minded and accepting about the last hardcore show I went to or what bands I was listening to I got made fun of for being emo and had listen to wanna be tough guys go on and on about how they'd kick a kids ass for hardcore dancing. I can't even begin to count the amount of time I've been at a show and a bunch of gutter punks show up to pick fights with hardcore kids over how they dress or how tight their jeans are or whatever menial bullshit. I have never been to a punk show and seen the roles reversed. I know my expierence isn't universal so I don't think it's fair to say "All hardcore kids are X and all punk kids are Y" but I also think I've been around long to have an understanding of both cultures and the dynamic between the two. Yeah, there are a lot of meathead jocks in hardcore, but most of the kids aren't. Just like there are a lot of junkie degenerates in punk rock, but most punks aren't. As for what's boring and what's not, that's just a matter of personal preference.
Are you serious about The Rebel Spell? I only saw them once and they were really boring...Rawk guitarist wanna-be chick with a really bad vocalist. One of the most overated bands in Western Canada...
I've only seen them once, and I was pretty wasted, but I kind of remember them sounding like a sort of 3rd generation Anti-Flag. I've never really understood the huge boner everyone has for them.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.