save the internet

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

tylerp
Site Admin

save the internet

Post by tylerp »

jerkstores want us to pay for our internet in terms of usage instead of a flat fee. this also means paying a lot more for the usage we have, a possible death to free wi-fi (and free services such as university library archives suddenly costing money), etc. and, on a grander scale, charging for the amount of information/ideas spread through the internet instead of just charging for the ability to use the internet.

sign this shit and spread it everywhere:
http://openmedia.ca/meter

if you feel like it, submit a complaint here to the crtc (under "other")
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/rapidsccm/register.asp?lang=e
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Re: save the internet

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Signed it a few days ago.
The cost for an extra gigabite of bandwidth is a few cents. The ISPs would have us a pay a dollar per gigabite.
Netflix costs $7.99 per month, Bell's on demand service is $6.99 per movie.
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Edit: Apparently 160 000 people have signed the petition and the NDP have come out against internet metering. The next step would be to bring a bill before parliament to overturn the CRTC (an unelected regulatory body) decision. The current goal is 200 000 signatures and open media has rigged a trigger so that every time somebody signs the petition an email is sent to Michael Ignatieff and the Liberal digital critic, Pablo Rodriguez. The liberals haven't openly taken a position on the issue yet, but are no doubt feeling a lot of pressure from lobbyists to come in favour of UBB. I'm not one to tout the virtues of representational democracy, but with an election becoming more and more likely our best bet is to let them know that we'll support parties against a metered internet.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

If your interested in calling the competitin beauro, their number is 1-800-348-5358. Press 2 for english and 5 to file a complaint. Use terms like "anti-competitive" and "conflict of interest." For example "It is a conflict of interest to allow ISPs who are also cable and satelite TV providers to limit our acess to their competition such as Netflix" or "It is anti competitive to allow ISPs, such as Bell who provides satellite TV and owns the CTV network, to limit acces to their online TV competitors, such as netflix by making them cost prohibitive," or "the recent CRTC ruling now allows Bell to impose their pricing structure on all Canadian internet users, regardless of their ISP."
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

All very good points, Zach. Signed.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Just signed it. Hope this shit gets booted out ASAP.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

*insert HACKERS jokes about trashing the flow of data, trashing our rights, hack the planet (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) etc*

I don't know if this is still the case, but at around the time of the millennium, Canada was one of the most internet-savvy countries in the world. Even more so than places like the United States (unimaginative jokes about ignorant white trash and yokels here, as well)... this goes against our nature!

My dad's been in telecommunications for like 30 years or so and has worked for Shaw/Rogers for at least 25 years now I'm pretty sure. I'm interested to hear my dad's point of view and the possible insider information he'll have on this when he gets back in the country and back to work.
"user destroy has some opinions on bands." - tylerpicklesmith, 2010.
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

I like how the prospect of not being able to pirate tv shows and movies en-masse is what is spurring people into activism.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

canon.docre wrote:I like how the prospect of not being able to pirate tv shows and movies en-masse is what is spurring people into activism.
yep. I feel bad that I care about this issue but at least I CARE ABOUT SOMETHING, even if it is basement-dwelling.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

I don't really care why people are fighting this, as long as it's being fought. There are load of other, better reasons to fight this legislation, but honestly this is one of those situations where I feel that motivations are secondary to the goal. If you want open internet in order to watch the newest James Bond flick, fine. It's still open.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

Human-Demise wrote:Image
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

Kanye pic bringing the lols hard.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Best post!
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

canon.docre wrote:I like how the prospect of not being able to pirate tv shows and movies en-masse is what is spurring people into activism.
I think the idea of legal services that people pay for becoming cost prohibitive because Bell is greedy and doesn't like competition might have something to do with it as well.
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:
I think the idea of legal services that people pay for becoming cost prohibitive because Bell is greedy and doesn't like competition might have something to do with it as well.
first world problemz.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

hey man, the internet is a RIGHT and not a privilege. it's a basic human need.

thinking of organizing a rally in victoria with signs like:
HOW TO LOL WITH NO LOLCATS!!1
WILL AN HERO IF NO INTERNETS!!1
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

Is in ur netz
making it free

signed
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

also relevant:

http://www.antiubb.com/what-can-i-do/

the part about changing to an independent provider is interesting. they're right, independent providers are way cheaper. I think that if I move out, rather than using shaw again, I'll try to sign up with an independent ISP. they seem pretty cheap from first glance.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂