Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Re: Van Isle party fest 7, 2011 Get into it

Post by Hollow »

officespace wrote:Deadbeat is still fucking awful

-Warren

I don't care.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

:| :D
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

dear Willa, one person complained and he's from Langley, not Vancouver. And entitled to express his opinion too.
PaulyHC
STREET BY STREET

Post by PaulyHC »

Hollow wrote:Okay, I'm gonna say something now that I've honestly wanted to say for a long time. I'm not addressing anyone specifically, I definitely not calling out anyone in this thread or on this board. I am addressing the Vancouver Hardcore/Punk community as a whole.

Dear Vancouver,

Man, I get it. Go It Alone was a fantastic band. Blue Monday was incredibly successful. Greg Bennick visits your city regularly. You have a lot to be proud of. That's valid.

However, this isn't Vancouver. It's Vancouver Island. We don't do shows for any of you (although we love to see you when you visit). We do it for the kids on this island. We do it for kids that are stuck in the suburban wasteland that is Saanich. We do it for the kids living in low-income housing in Tillicum. We do it for the crusty kids out in Campbell River, and yes we even do it for the deathcore brats from Langford. They are who we think of when we put on shows, when we plan the fest, and when we decide which bands we should bring out here.

They are now, and will always be, our top priority. When we started this society we did it because there were very few people who gave a flying fuck about underground music putting on shows. Frankly, we have a lot of obstacles to overcome putting on these shows and the fest, but we bust our asses to do it. It is a labour of love, and we generally lose a shit ton of money. We don't give a shit, we just want there to be all ages shows.

So, with that in mind, I would like to politely and respectfully tell you all to shut the fuck up. There is absolutely no one forcing you to come to this fest. There is no one who forces you to come to the island, whether to play a show or see one.

You do not live here. Your contextual contribution is nil. If shows flop, if kids are puking in the parking lot, if venues get shut down, or if the bands decide to bail last minute you are not affected (or affected so slightly that it's statistically the same thing).

You are all wonderful people. I love coming to shows in Van. I love seeing you all. I am sick and tired of having our city treated like a fucking suburb of yours.

So please, next time you feel the need to bitch and moan endlessly about how we do shows, do me a favour; stop, think, and then calmly shove your condescension up your ass.

Sincerely,
Willa

PS No, really, I adore you people. But we're not your kid brother, k?
Text message from Troy "honest dude" Lemberg 07-07-2010

"hey do you have any pot for sale"

^^ verbatim
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Andrew wrote:dear Pauly, one person complained and he's from Langley, not Vancouver. And entitled to express his opinion too.
trappedinside
Posting while trapped inside an elevator

Post by trappedinside »

Andrew wrote:dear Willa, one person complained and he's from Langley, not Vancouver. And entitled to express his opinion too.
agreed 100%. i know everyone involved in this fest puts a lot of effort into it but people are allowed to comment and i think it's pretty shitty to publicly ream somebody out for multiple paragraphs (who has expressed that they're coming to the fest and paying the ticket price anyway at that!) just because they said they don't like a band on the bill.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

trappedinside wrote:
Andrew wrote:dear Willa, one person complained and he's from Langley, not Vancouver. And entitled to express his opinion too.
agreed 100%. i know everyone involved in this fest puts a lot of effort into it but people are allowed to comment and i think it's pretty shitty to publicly ream somebody out for multiple paragraphs (who has expressed that they're coming to the fest and paying the ticket price anyway at that!) just because they said they don't like a band on the bill.
That wasnt directed at anyone specifically, read the first paragraph again.

Andrew, this is the same thing thats been happening for seven years now. There are quite a few posts from Vancouver folks on the Fest Facebook page that are indicative of what Im talking about. This isnt a new thing, this has been hapoening for as long as Ive been on the island. My favorite moment happened a few years ago when someone who shall remain nameless told me that Van Isle was Vancouvers "Europe" because we didnt know how to do hardcore right.

This isnt because Warren complained about the fest, but because Im legitimately sick of being patted on the head and then disregarded. Im truly sorry if what I said upset you, but I stand by it.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Hollow wrote:You do not live here. Your contextual contribution is nil. If shows flop, if kids are puking in the parking lot, if venues get shut down, or if the bands decide to bail last minute you are not affected (or affected so slightly that it's statistically the same thing).
oh weird, when I expressed concern about people not being able to handles themselves at shows in a city you do not live in you made remarks about how you would be drinking at future shows you don't live in. just an observation from a "kid"
New West Crew
LET THE ROUNDUPS BEGIN

Post by New West Crew »

Hollow wrote:
trappedinside wrote:

Andrew, this is the same thing thats been happening for seven years now. There are quite a few posts from Vancouver folks on the Fest Facebook page that are indicative of what Im talking about. This isnt a new thing, this has been hapoening for as long as Ive been on the island. My favorite moment happened a few years ago when someone who shall remain nameless told me that Van Isle was Vancouvers "Europe" because we didnt know how to do hardcore right.

This isnt because Warren complained about the fest, but because Im legitimately sick of being patted on the head and then disregarded. Im truly sorry if what I said upset you, but I stand by it.

Do you really need your Hardcore/Punk scene validated by the residents of another Hardcore/Punk scene?

Who cares?
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

heyjealousy wrote:
Hollow wrote:You do not live here. Your contextual contribution is nil. If shows flop, if kids are puking in the parking lot, if venues get shut down, or if the bands decide to bail last minute you are not affected (or affected so slightly that it's statistically the same thing).
oh weird, when I expressed concern about people not being able to handles themselves at shows in a city you do not live in you made remarks about how you would be drinking at future shows you don't live in. just an observation from a "kid"

Actually I cracked a joke. And as an adult who is legally allowed to drink in any city he wants, I dont think it was that bad of a joke. Youre the one who freaked out. Youre the one who tried to force his way of living on others. Im sorry you dont like it when people drink. I dont like it when people treat me as lower class because I do. And you can deny it all you want, but you do that constantly.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

New West Crew wrote:
Hollow wrote:
trappedinside wrote:

Do you really need your Hardcore/Punk scene validated by the residents of another Hardcore/Punk scene?

Who cares?
This isnt about validation, this is about common respect, orhe lack thereof. Im not the only person who feels this way. I really do think youre all great people, but this is a blind spot Vancouver has. A pretty insulting one.
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:

Actually I cracked a joke. And as an adult who is legally allowed to drink in any city he wants, I dont think it was that bad of a joke. Youre the one who freaked out. Youre the one who tried to force his way of living on others. Im sorry you dont like it when people drink. I dont like it when people treat me as lower class because I do. And you can deny it all you want, but you do that constantly.
GM is our venue, really we can come up with any rules we want. You say I forced my way of living on others, are you fucking high? asking people to not drinking at conduct themselves as civil humans for the longevity of a DIY venue and preservation of a all ages music scene in general has nothing to do with me being straightedge. That is the most typical and outlandish attack that people always make when a straight edge person asks someone not to drink at shows and honestly I expected a much more intelligent attack from someone who prides themself on their education and intelligence. If you cant spend an evening sober at a show then maybe you dont like hardcore or you have a fucking drinking problem and need help.
- A college drop out
New West Crew
LET THE ROUNDUPS BEGIN

Post by New West Crew »

Hollow wrote:
New West Crew wrote:
Hollow wrote:
trappedinside wrote:

Who cares?
This isnt about validation, this is about common respect, orhe lack thereof. Im not the only person who feels this way. I really do think youre all great people, but this is a blind spot Vancouver has. A pretty insulting one.
Provide examples beyond the Euro comment.

I know the perception exists to an extent, but not to the level that you seem to think. I know that Vancouver bands have, and will continue to, payed out of pocket to come and play the island, which is pretty significant show of respect. Kids from Vancouver will continue to come to shows on the island, which is also a pretty significant show of respect.

Is being perceived as the 'little guy' any worse than you perceiving all of Vancouver as a bunch of stuck up assholes?
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

heyjealousy wrote:
Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:

GM is our venue, really we can come up with any rules we want. You say I forced my way of living on others, are you fucking high? asking people to not drinking at conduct themselves as civil humans for the longevity of a DIY venue and preservation of a all ages music scene in general has nothing to do with me being straightedge. That is the most typical and outlandish attack that people always make when a straight edge person asks someone not to drink at shows and honestly I expected a much more intelligent attack from someone who prides themself on their education and intelligence. If you cant spend an evening sober at a show then maybe you dont like hardcore or you have a fucking drinking problem and need help.
- A college drop out
Funny. You say im making vast generalizations about you because your sxe, then tell me I have a drinking problem.

But to go back to that earlier argument, I said I was gonna drink, Chad asked me not to, I immediately said I wouldnt, THEN you jumped in and lumped me in with all the idiots who have fucked shit up over there. Which was insulting, and completely unnecessary. This isnt about you being sxe, but HOW your being sxe. And lately, its been shitty my friend.
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:
Hollow wrote:
heyjealousy wrote:

- A college drop out
Funny. You say im making vast generalizations about you because your sxe, then tell me I have a drinking problem.

But to go back to that earlier argument, I said I was gonna drink, Chad asked me not to, I immediately said I wouldnt, THEN you jumped in and lumped me in with all the idiots who have fucked shit up over there. Which was insulting, and completely unnecessary. This isnt about you being sxe, but HOW your being sxe. And lately, its been shitty my friend.
I said if you cant go a night without drinking than you might have a problem, and if you cant go a night then get fucking help. And if you think I'm shitty about how I live then dont worry about calling me a friend.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

New West Crew wrote:

I know the perception exists to an extent, but not to the level that you seem to think. I know that Vancouver bands have, and will continue to, payed out of pocket to come and play the island, which is pretty significant show of respect. Kids from Vancouver will continue to come to shows on the island, which is also a pretty significant show of respect.

Is being perceived as the 'little guy' any worse than you perceiving all of Vancouver as a bunch of stuck up assholes?

Im on the bus, as soon as I get home Ill throw some stuff up.

I dont believe that every person in Vancouver is like this. However, it is something that, as a community, you should deal with and you dont. So, I referred to the Vancouver community as a whole, and also because I really didnt want to call anyone out specifically. That would have been shitty.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

heyjealousy wrote: I said if you cant go a night without drinking than you might have a problem, and if you cant go a night then get fucking help. And if you think I'm shitty about how I live then dont worry about calling me a friend.
Jesus.

I thought it was funny because you caomplained about being stereotyped and then said something incredibly stereotypical. Thats funny.

And Im sorry, I didnt mean to make you think that I was saying your life choice was shitty. That wasnt what I meant at all.

You treat me shitty. Started gradual, right after I quit being edge, but its built up to a point where I actually have trouble hanging out with you because of how much of a dick you are to me. It is generally centered around how Ive chosen to live my life.
dave mac
No self righteousness here, was just pointing out a flawed statement

Post by dave mac »

Last edited by dave mac on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New West Crew
LET THE ROUNDUPS BEGIN

Post by New West Crew »

Hollow wrote:
New West Crew wrote:

Im on the bus, as soon as I get home Ill throw some stuff up.

I dont believe that every person in Vancouver is like this. However, it is something that, as a community, you should deal with and you dont. So, I referred to the Vancouver community as a whole, and also because I really didnt want to call anyone out specifically. That would have been shitty.
If the biggest problem we as a community have is Victoria's perception of our perception of Victoria, that's pretty sweet.

Anyways, I'm tapping out, because this whole conversation is just silly. I'll probably be in town for the fest, get at me then.

As an aside, I think you and Hunter should take this discussion offline because really, it's no one else's business, and it's stupid to have it play out on here.

Lastly, Willa, you are my friend, but as best as I can tell you're at the center of pretty much every argument I see on this board. I don't lurk here that often, so it could be a coincidence, but I feel like you should take a little time off from here because it just seems to stress you out.

I won't be replying to anymore posts in this thread.
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.