Occupy Victoria (October 15th)

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Occupy Victoria (October 15th)

Post by Jordan f. »

Anybody going to this? I haven't really looked into it but this "occupy wall street" thing just looks like a bunch of hippies and trust fund hipsters playing the image of revolution. Someone enlighten my narrow view. Or am I right?
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp
Site Admin

Re: Occupy Victoria (October 15th)

Post by tylerp »

it depends on your opinion. some people think it's just a bunch of hipster crybabies. some people think that the message is too vague and just representative of a collective feeling rather than an organized message and stance. other people think that it's one of the most important protests in recent years to their viewpoint. does revolution have to be organized and operated by people you would respect and hang out with? I think the fact that it's happening and avoided media attention until the police brutality video footage came out makes it at least notable. I'd imagine that a Victoria offshoot could be way more of what you might think of as privileged college kids amped on holding signs and moaning "shaaame" but maybe that's better than nothing?
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

Inspired by the rapidly growing Occupy Together (http://occupytogether.org/) movement across the US and Canada that has sprung up in solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street people’s assembly. Victoria is joining the October 15 movement for global change (http://15october.net/).

This is not ‘merely’ a vague protest against the ills and failure of global capitalism - we all know about how a few predatory bankers and Wall St. traders sparked the current world financial crisis.

Rather, this is the time to show solidarity with all the people of the world rising up in global revolution, to come together and create a genuine people’s assembly of Vancouver Island in the spirit of true participatory democracy. Direct democracy comes from the people living in the communities in which decisions are made. Real democracy means being mutually respectful of all the diverse voices that join the conversation. Radical democracy is grassroots, from-below, non-violent, and committed to mutual aid and collective decision-making.

What are our demands? Let US, the people come together and decide collectively. So many of us here in Victoria are already working in our own small ways towards a vision of a better world – let’s peacefully assembly and bring it all together! We will stay as long as it takes.

Bring tent
Bring tent
Bring tent

oh no...
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

i dont understand how this changes anything.

i keep hearing the word "revolution" thrown around. im generally annoyed by all of it. but ive also read little to nothing about it all just seen some videos of hippies playing trumpets and taking a vacation in NY
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

My only complaint about this "movement" is that they're not packing heat.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
weirdie
Probably not a spambot

Post by weirdie »

Occupy Wall Street is basically an opportunity for every person who has a gripe about any societal ills to voice their feelings. I'm sure there are those "trust fund hippies" who are participating just for the hell of it, but why should that devalue the opinions and dedication of those who are actually passionate about whatever cause has led them to take action? It's better than sitting at home alone feeling helpless. Even if Occupy Wall Street doesn't end in sweeping changes to economic policy in the US, at least people had a chance to let out what they had bottled up instead of doing nothing.

If you're actually interested in what's going to happen in Victoria and not just being an armchair cynic, I would suggest attending the meeting tonight at Solstice Cafe at 6 o'clock.
weirdie
Probably not a spambot

Post by weirdie »

PS

There are over 6000 people outside the NYPD headquarters demonstrating right now, so I'd consider it a movement.

http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Yeah, 6000 trust fund hipsters demonstrating right now. I don't really know why they're demonstrating, but I have some preconceived notions about the type of people who identify as activists and saw some youtube videos so now I'm forming an opinion out of thin air.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

boom roasted
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
ImaginaryGirlfriend
VIHC Poster

Post by ImaginaryGirlfriend »

^
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:Yeah, 6000 trust fund hipsters demonstrating right now. I don't really know why they're demonstrating, but I have some preconceived notions about the type of people who identify as activists and saw some youtube videos so now I'm forming an opinion out of thin air.
Jordan f. wrote: Someone enlighten my narrow view.
I'm asking for an actual explanation. Everywhere I've read I've either seen sarcastic remarks (from both sides) or people glorifying this "revolution". I don't mind people protesting but I'd like some real idea of what people are trying to acheive. If all that happends is a bunch of people protest for a while then go back to work, I highly doubt the 1% will give a shit or listen.
Victoria Straight Edge
Austin's Ghost

Post by Austin's Ghost »

.................ooooooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooooogoooooooOOOOoooveeeeeeeeeeeeegaaaaaaaanOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOoooo......
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

Jordan f. wrote:
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Yeah, 6000 trust fund hipsters demonstrating right now. I don't really know why they're demonstrating, but I have some preconceived notions about the type of people who identify as activists and saw some youtube videos so now I'm forming an opinion out of thin air.
Jordan f. wrote: Someone enlighten my narrow view.
I'm asking for an actual explanation. Everywhere I've read I've either seen sarcastic remarks (from both sides) or people glorifying this "revolution". I don't mind people protesting but I'd like some real idea of what people are trying to acheive. If all that happends is a bunch of people protest for a while then go back to work, I highly doubt the 1% will give a shit or listen.
I think the idea is pretty vague and general. "Raise awareness of public discontent about the way the 1% has handled the economy" maybe. That and "create a visible resistance that interested people can join".

In terms of the 1% giving a shit or listening: I think it's more about rallying the other 99% and showing the rest of the world that things aren't going well internally.
weirdie
Probably not a spambot

Post by weirdie »

:)
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

herp derp

WE NO LIKE BANKS HERP

COPS R LIKE, BAD RITE?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

I scheduled my birthday party on the 15th before Occupy Victoria scheduled their protest. They're going to have to change it.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
kay
VIHC Poster

Post by kay »

I think this article has some good points for left-leaning people who are criticizing Occupy Wall St:

http://politics.salon.com/2011/09/28/pr ... nGreenwald
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

what's the word on the Marines and stuff joining in? War Veterans protecting protesters from cops? That's kinda cool.
Victoria Straight Edge
dave mac
No self righteousness here, was just pointing out a flawed statement

Post by dave mac »

If you watch some videos and look at some of the pictures of the protests it is pretty clear that the people involved represent a wide array of different races, ages, socio-economic backgrounds and religions. It is pretty easy to sit on your computer and make snap judgements about the motivations of the protesters. It is interesting how cynicism and intolerance of certain types of people, who may be involved with such protests, pretty much paralyzes huge numbers of those who actually believe in/are affected by what these protests are about.

I