The Chain and other calgary things.

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

dereckb
Probably not a spambot

The Chain and other calgary things.

Post by dereckb »

hey a couple people mentioned the band i sing in, the chain in that VIHC fest wish list thread, which is really fucking cool considering we've played like 2 shows, both in calgary haha. anyways heres our band camp, demo is up for free download. more material coming in the net few months. we'd love to play the fest this year. 2 of us play in runaways as well and we'd also love to come back if you'll have us. cool. check it out.

FFO: late 80s NY/Boston HC, mental, DYS, straight ahead, RJ's, paying way too much for LOC shit on ebay, getting low, new jordans, fly honeys.
http://chaincrew.bandcamp.com/
dereckb
Probably not a spambot

Re: The Chain and other calgary things.

Post by dereckb »

Oh also theres a new runaways EP as well... we just havent released it yet.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

dereckb wrote:hey a couple people mentioned the band i sing in, the chain in that VIHC fest wish list thread, which is really fucking cool considering we've played like 2 shows, both in calgary haha. anyways heres our band camp, demo is up for free download. more material coming in the net few months. we'd love to play the fest this year. 2 of us play in runaways as well and we'd also love to come back if you'll have us. cool. check it out.

FFO: late 80s NY/Boston HC, mental, DYS, straight ahead, RJ's, paying way too much for LOC shit on ebay, getting low, new jordans, fly honeys.
http://chaincrew.bandcamp.com/
RUNAWAYS/ THE CHAIN

VIHC FEST 2012

DO IT

FUCK DO IT

It is my goal to have the chain play. I jam that demo so often on my walks.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Currently doing bong rips and listening to the demo. I'm digging it so far, will post a stoned-out bitter review in a bit.

Oh, and I met a dude who was in Runaways when we toured through Calgary and played at the New Black? Was that you? If so, I just want to say I'm sorry I said Youth of Today sucks.

I mean, they do.

But I'm sorry I said it.

No I'm not.

This demo is really good.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Okay, I'm gonna type up this review as I listen to it for the second time. I am ridiculously stoned, too, which doesn't matter for shit really. But I'm gonna ramble, so I thought I should warn ya'll.

1. Intro/Same Shit-Okay, you got me. I generally judge bands based on what they say their inspirations were, and how closely they hit the mark. It's not the most important thing I judge, but it's necessary in my mind. If you say you sound like Black Sabbath, and then you play shit that resembles The Black Eyed Peas tongue fucking Kesha, we have a problem. In this regard, nailed it in the title alone. That two word straightforward fuck poetics sense that was 80's Boston Hardcore (E.G. SSD-Boiling Point). It's essential to the entire aesthetic (and since I can't read your lyrics, aesthetics is the majority of what I'm gonna talk about). The intro is hard as fuck too. This is the kind of hard mosh I think anyone could get into, whether they have ninja moves or not. Faster than fuck, too. "YOU CAN'T BREAK THE FUCKIN' CHAIN!" Dude, yes. If you're joking that's hilarious cuz you've hit the fucking nail on the head, satire-wise. If you're dead serious, then that's fucking adorable and I would hang out with you because I have to assume you're never really that upset by life and would probably cheer me up after I drank too much and texted my various exes descriptions of my nether regions. Reality is probably somewhere in the center. You're almost certainly somewhat serious about those lyrics, but I have a feeling you see the inherent ridiculousness in such a statement. Basically the best of both worlds; earnest without pretension. That's how I'd describe this demo, by the way.

2. Back 2 Basics-Hmmm....not digging this opening riff. Too slow, kind of boring. Okay, two step is good. You guys can seriously write a breakdown, this one is awesome. No demo is perfect, this is probably the worst song on the thing and I'd still mosh to it. The title is fucking gold, and deserves a rating system of its own.

3. LCSM-THIS IS THE BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM.

4. Dickhead-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK YES THAT DRUM INTRO RULES. Grab your partner of choice folks, it's a slow mosh! This song rips, faster the better. I wish I could read your lyrics, I could do a far more in depth analysis of your band, which I think it deserves.

5. All Talk-Pretty much what I expected to round out the album. Fast, pissed off, to the point. Fuck I love this breed of hardcore.

Okay, so OVERALL: fuck guys, seriously good demo. I love the ridiculous chain sound-effects, and the fact that you guys are probably 1/2 joking and 1/2 serious. To repeat: earnest, but not pretentious. I want to read the lyrics, by the way, because I'm curious about your politics. I mean, I'm making some pretty major assumptions, but I'm guessing that you're all: vegan, straightedge, obsessed with late 80's hardcore, skateboard, and are in your early-20's. If I'm way off the mark, my apologies. But if I'm curious to see how that works in your lyrics.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

dalamar501 wrote:RUNAWAYS/ THE CHAIN

VIHC FEST 2012

VIHC FEST 2012

VIHC FEST 2012

VIHC FEST 2012

VIHC FEST 2012

VIHC FEST 2012

VIHC FEST 2012

VIHC FEST 2012

VIHC FEST 2012
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Jesus I need to stop smoking weed and going on the internet. I do not remember posting any of that shit.
dereckb
Probably not a spambot

Post by dereckb »

Hollow wrote:Jesus I need to stop smoking weed and going on the internet. I do not remember posting any of that shit.
haha fuck. thanks. youre mostly right. as serious as we are about trying to make cool songs that we actually like, we're all kind of sick of how fucking serious people take hardcore, especially here (calgary). i write about stuff i care about/ stuff that makes me angry, but ive been listening to way too much mental since i was 13 to not still keep it loose. The intro is a nod to the song "The Chain" by FLeetwood Mac, which is 100% where i got our name, far before we ever wrote any songs. only 3 of us are straight edge though and only one vegan and one vegetarian haha. pretty accurate assumptions overall. the new stuff we're working on is basically just more wel written but the same kind of feel/attitude. cool. i hope people get down and have fun if we play the fest.
also i dont know who you are, so you might have met me, but also maybe not. what band are you in?
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

dereckb wrote:
Hollow wrote:Jesus I need to stop smoking weed and going on the internet. I do not remember posting any of that shit.
haha fuck. thanks. youre mostly right. as serious as we are about trying to make cool songs that we actually like, we're all kind of sick of how fucking serious people take hardcore, especially here (calgary). i write about stuff i care about/ stuff that makes me angry, but ive been listening to way too much mental since i was 13 to not still keep it loose. The intro is a nod to the song "The Chain" by FLeetwood Mac, which is 100% where i got our name, far before we ever wrote any songs. only 3 of us are straight edge though and only one vegan and one vegetarian haha. pretty accurate assumptions overall. the new stuff we're working on is basically just more wel written but the same kind of feel/attitude. cool. i hope people get down and have fun if we play the fest.
also i dont know who you are, so you might have met me, but also maybe not. what band are you in?

HOLY SHIT. When we first heard about you guys, Jordan and I were legit making jokes about you guys being a Fleetwood Mac cover band. That is the tightest fucking thing I've ever heard. I fucking love Fleetwood Mac. Rumours is easily the greatest pop album ever written. Fuck yes.

I'm in No Eulogy. We played with Six Brew Bantha, Iskra, Akakor and Rape Revenge at the New Black in Calgary. I met someone from Runaways at that show, and I think I bummed him out by how much I hated on Youth of Today. I've felt bad about that ever since. It's okay dude! You can like whatever band you want too! I'm just a jaded misanthrope with and unhealthy obsession with Integrity! It's all good!

Also, I met a rad dude there named Jay. We bro'd down hard over Integrity. It was rad. If you know him, tell him Willa say's hi.
dereckb
Probably not a spambot

Post by dereckb »

Hollow wrote:
dereckb wrote:

HOLY SHIT. When we first heard about you guys, Jordan and I were legit making jokes about you guys being a Fleetwood Mac cover band. That is the tightest fucking thing I've ever heard. I fucking love Fleetwood Mac. Rumours is easily the greatest pop album ever written. Fuck yes.

I'm in No Eulogy. We played with Six Brew Bantha, Iskra, Akakor and Rape Revenge at the New Black in Calgary. I met someone from Runaways at that show, and I think I bummed him out by how much I hated on Youth of Today. I've felt bad about that ever since. It's okay dude! You can like whatever band you want too! I'm just a jaded misanthrope with and unhealthy obsession with Integrity! It's all good!

Also, I met a rad dude there named Jay. We bro'd down hard over Integrity. It was rad. If you know him, tell him Willa say's hi.
ohh yeah i think that would have been joel? probably? skinny dude with glasses? he wanted me to go to that with him but i was working haha. also jay is tight and now plays in withdrawal, so go see them and hang out.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

dereckb wrote:
Hollow wrote:
dereckb wrote:

ohh yeah i think that would have been joel? probably? skinny dude with glasses? he wanted me to go to that with him but i was working haha. also jay is tight and now plays in withdrawal, so go see them and hang out.

That was the dude! And Jay plays in Withdrawal now? Sick! They gotta get out here!
ghostthroats
VIHC Poster

Post by ghostthroats »

jesus fuck yes bring them here have them be in victoria that would be killer.
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

NEEDS MORE CHAIN SOUNDEFFECTS

chainmosh
Token
VIHC Poster

Post by Token »

Bummed I'm leaving now! Either VIHC Fest is moved to sometime in May or people fly me back for it!

The Chain and Runaways would be killer.
PaulyHC
STREET BY STREET

Post by PaulyHC »

Best Demo I've heard since COYOTE, and they're on the Fest also. I hope it works out for the chain to make it! LEGIT
Text message from Troy "honest dude" Lemberg 07-07-2010

"hey do you have any pot for sale"

^^ verbatim
ebony
VIHC Poster

Post by ebony »

The Chain and Coyote are both playing the fest this year guyz. Smiley faces!
grind/bro wrote:
The front should say VAN ISLE HARDCORE in dripping blood font, with Jesus being impaled on a railway spike with goats dancing around him. The goats must also have bullet belts.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

no Runaways?
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

CHAINMOSH