Fitness/Exercise Thread

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

dougmacminn
VIHC Poster

Re: Fitness/Exercise Thread

Post by dougmacminn »

60 push-ups right before each and every shower

used to run to bring my starter paunch down a little, but then running would get me hungrier than all-get-out afterwards.

also - running is soul-destroyingly fucking boring
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

go out and buy the book "starting strength". read it. follow the plan.

squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, chin ups, power cleans. If you follow the plan and actually do it the 3 times a week it takes you, you will notice results.

feel free to axe me a few questions or whatever, i went from squatting he bar (45 pounds) to squatting 305 in a few months.

the works outs themselves take roughly 30 minutes to do on your own. 30 minutes, three times a week, heavy fucking weights.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.
ghostthroats
VIHC Poster

Post by ghostthroats »

been running up this bad boy. it's insane how my endurance is getting better so quickly.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

Thursdays were super busy at Oak Bay before late night which is when me and jordan went.

The friday before that was relatively not busy between 9-11. We are going again on Wed.
ANYONE care to join us.

Not sure what time yet.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

Can I rant here about personal fitness and body image issues and the relating emotional toll? No? I'm gonna, anyway.

Fitness is all about discipline and self improvement. A cliche along the lines of fitness being 90% inspiration, and 10% perspiration come to mind. If you've never caught it and been locked into a zone where you were committed to bettering yourself reaching personal goals, you won't get it. The increase in food intake is a nice thing if you do it right, and the improvement in energy, physical and emotional health, and personal satisfaction far outweighs any of the other drawbacks. Plus, I really like the fact that improved fitness means better and more effective sleep resulting in a reduced need overall.

That said, I haven't been feeling good about myself for a while. After a pretty strong end to the summer, in the fall out of nowhere I reached 220 lbs - 15 lbs heavier than I've ever been and I really noticed it. A lot of it is age and that which comes with it but I wasn't happy. I've been filling out a lot in the past couple of years (on most days I was probably 185-190 max two years ago) and most of it has been in the midsection, soft old man handles, instead of where I'd want it to be. I wanted to be 200 lbs for a really long time but it finally happened out of nowhere a year and a half ago and it was weird.

Most of the time I don't have the motivation and energy to do something about my fitness, as I work a fairly physical job and on most days it's taxing on my knees just to run up and down the stairs at home. Not getting great sleep (and worse with the shit in my head keeping me awake these days) and a high calorie, high carb, high fat diet doesn't help either. The added weight in my midsection has made some daily activities a bit different all of the sudden. At times during the day I'm climbing in and out of trailers with walls up to 15 ft high and no ladders or footholds, and wrangling heavy industrial equipment in and out of my delivery truck and around construction sites (typically by myself). This usually means I have to be very strong, but nimble and athletic and flexible on top of being creative and good at problem solving. I can usually find a clever and easy way to make my job easier physically and get by but I'd rather not be the smart, but fat and old trucker who can do anything with machines, but has health problems. I know that working the way I do is as bad for me as it is good, but at least I'll never pull up to a job and get out of my truck reeking like old cigarettes, complaining, and being generally annoying and useless.

The grind of a physical gym program is great for mental discipline and will work well for building strength but I think that there are some great benefits in calisthenics routines that have all of the advantages without of the disadvantages of resistance training. I'm not an expert by any means, but I think that it allows you to condition in a more complete and balanced fashion and maintain the very important flexibility(!!). I think Bruce Lee was a fantastic example of this. There are some guys who do it in very effective ways in MMA training (no Affliction).

(I posted this while listening to a Nigerian-British comedian talk about muscle beach and body image. har-har.)
"user destroy has some opinions on bands." - tylerpicklesmith, 2010.
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

Scratch that.

I just need:

-6 MINUTE ABS
-THE JACK RACK
-P90X
-New Balance shoes and a marathon aspiration
-No fat, no fun no flavour diet

;)
"user destroy has some opinions on bands." - tylerpicklesmith, 2010.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

i made this thread almost 3 years ago and since then i have gained 15-20 pounds...
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

grind/bro wrote:i made this thread almost 3 years ago and since then i have gained 15-20 pounds...
3 more years and you'll be wearing medium shirts, gasp.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Human-Demise wrote:
grind/bro wrote:i made this thread almost 3 years ago and since then i have gained 15-20 pounds...
LOL!
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

destroy wrote:That said, I haven't been feeling good about myself for a while. After a pretty strong end to the summer, in the fall out of nowhere I reached 220 lbs - 15 lbs heavier than I've ever been and I really noticed it.
You're eighteen feet tall, you sexy motherfucker. How much can 15 lbs. show on a tree?
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

Brydon wrote:Man, FORGET swimming laps! Splashing around and slides and hot tubs and saunas forever!
this is pretty much all we do. It rules.
Victoria Straight Edge
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

Human-Demise wrote:
i bought my first medium shirt the other day mr. positivity
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

grind/bro wrote:
Human-Demise wrote:
i bought my first medium shirt the other day mr. positivity
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
Fish
VIHC Poster

Post by Fish »

Andrew wrote: You're eighteen feet tall, you sexy motherfucker. How much can 15 lbs. show on a tree?
I laughed way too hard at this.

Also, someone should teach me how to swim.
<x><
grungePIG
VIHC Poster

Post by grungePIG »

we just need to start a vihc bike gang. you'll all be svelte as hell by the end of summer.
ebony
VIHC Poster

Post by ebony »

This thread died for awhile and now is back.

WELP, Paige and I are always down for activity if anyone wants to join. We are working out tomorrow actually. Good times indeed.
grind/bro wrote:
The front should say VAN ISLE HARDCORE in dripping blood font, with Jesus being impaled on a railway spike with goats dancing around him. The goats must also have bullet belts.
ghostthroats
VIHC Poster

Post by ghostthroats »

Fish wrote:
Andrew wrote: You're eighteen feet tall, you sexy motherfucker. How much can 15 lbs. show on a tree?
I laughed way too hard at this.

Also, someone should teach me how to swim.
"fish"
CodyCreepcore
VIHC Poster

Post by CodyCreepcore »

bikes bikes bikes bikes bikes. ride your bike to sydney and back. its fun i swear.
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

grungePIG wrote:we just need to start a vihc bike gang. you'll all be svelte as hell by the end of summer.
once it gets nicer out my bike will come out of hibernation
Victoria Straight Edge
Token
VIHC Poster

Post by Token »

Jordan f. wrote:
grungePIG wrote:we just need to start a vihc bike gang. you'll all be svelte as hell by the end of summer.
once it gets nicer out my bike will come out of hibernation
Dude, man up!

Note: Jordan totally rode my feminine bike once upon a time.