Prefers Tide Coldwater

Re: the state of venues in victoria

Post by keith. »

ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Okay, so here's my long winded post:
I think that there is definitely a stark lack of postering for shows. The last show that I can remember being flyered in a long time was hardcore fest, and I can't think of too many before that either. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention though. It's definitely a hastle having to poster and keep going back to the same places to replace ones that got taken down, but I'd be more than willing to put any posters around town that people want to give me and I'm sure a lot of others would be too. Mix bills are definitely a good idea and 100% backed. I also think that an other idea worth looking into is booking some bar shows. It sucks when shows can't be all ages, I know, but bar shows tend to bring in a bit of cash that could be put toward all ages shows in the future. I completely agree with people saying that kids here are exceptionally friendly. I was pretty floored when I first came here and kids were saying to me "You look new, what's your name." That just doesn't happen in a lot of punk and hardcore scenes. We could also talk about running concession stands at shows, selling pops for a buck and maybe chips or something. We did this in Peterborough a few times and it usually worked out well.
On the topic of venues, I don't expect this will make me too popular and I'll sound like a stick in the mud,but Orange Hall shouldn't really be an option. The Orange Order was started by Protestant Irish of English descent as a vehicle to spread anti-Catholic bigotry and subjugate the majority Irish Catholic population under English rule and have since expanded to like on French Canadians, First Nations Peoples, blacks, homosexuals, Jews, and pretty much anybody else who isn't white and Protestant. They've done a pretty good job of positioning themselves as community organizations like the Lions Club and other such organization for old guys to get together and get drunk once a week and with the occasional charity events thrown in, but these other organizations don't hold parades through Catholic areas every year to gloat about beating them in some battle 400 years ago and for oppressing the hell out them thereafter. Having shows at the Orange Hall would only serve to further legitimize them. I've spoken with several people who've said that they would refuse to attend shows at the Orange Hall, and I gotta say that I back them on this. I know that other venues are more expensive, and that's a huge problem for us, but this would really only create divisions within our community, which is never a good thing. It's always important when making deals with people to be mindful of who were making them with and what cost, especially when we pride ourselves on being a diverse community.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

Jordan f. wrote:This is hard to word without coming off like a fucking dickbag mosh jock but...... More people need to go off at shows. As lame as it sounds, being in a room with people losing their shit makes shows a lot more intense. Make the shows fun. Hardcore is supposed to be scarry. Honestly, everybody has "that show" they remember where they were pretty new to hardcore and shit got wild. That feeling fucking sticks with you. New kids coming to shows should get that feeling. Fuck looking good, just go off.

p.s, I 100% beleive that more people singing along/going off to the local bands will bring more kids out.
man okay.. maybe.. i get so sore when i go off.. i wish i knew the words to mroe songs.. more sweet covers should happen. OR Set foot should just play every show.. haha even they they won't be playing anymore i don't think

ZACH ATTACK wrote:Okay, so here's my long winded post:

On the topic of venues, I don't expect this will make me too popular and I'll sound like a stick in the mud,but Orange Hall shouldn't really be an option. The Orange Order was started by Protestant Irish of English descent as a vehicle to spread anti-Catholic bigotry and subjugate the majority Irish Catholic population under English rule and have since expanded to like on French Canadians, First Nations Peoples, blacks, homosexuals, Jews, and pretty much anybody else who isn't white and Protestant. They've done a pretty good job of positioning themselves as community organizations like the Lions Club and other such organization for old guys to get together and get drunk once a week and with the occasional charity events thrown in, but these other organizations don't hold parades through Catholic areas every year to gloat about beating them in some battle 400 years ago and for oppressing the hell out them thereafter. Having shows at the Orange Hall would only serve to further legitimize them. I've spoken with several people who've said that they would refuse to attend shows at the Orange Hall, and I gotta say that I back them on this. I know that other venues are more expensive, and that's a huge problem for us, but this would really only create divisions within our community, which is never a good thing. It's always important when making deals with people to be mindful of who were making them with and what cost, especially when we pride ourselves on being a diverse community.
First thing to say about Orange Hall is it is no longer booked out by whoever named it Orange Hall. It is run by Yoga Victoria and you book it through Yoga people etc. Not supporting the Hall but Yoga Victoria. SOOOOOOOOO i guess it still has the Name Yoga etc..
and yeah i get all that shit.. as well my mom is from North Ireland / my grand parents are Catholic Northern Irish.

So for now i think it is only by name.. unless Yoga Victoria has some connection to Orange Hall. I just noticed in the last year when all the contact info changed and Orange Hall started doing shows again. It used to be through Orange hall directly or some related group before.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
JRIA
VIHC Poster

Post by JRIA »

but i dont like anyone?
your pal, JR.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

dalamar501 wrote:
First thing to say about Orange Hall is it is no longer booked out by whoever named it Orange Hall. It is run by Yoga Victoria and you book it through Yoga people etc. Not supporting the Hall but Yoga Victoria. SOOOOOOOOO i guess it still has the Name Yoga etc..
and yeah i get all that shit.. as well my mom is from North Ireland / my grand parents are Catholic Northern Irish.

So for now i think it is only by name.. unless Yoga Victoria has some connection to Orange Hall. I just noticed in the last year when all the contact info changed and Orange Hall started doing shows again. It used to be through Orange hall directly or some related group before.
If that's the case than I guess it's legit. I know that Victoria has a functioning Orange Order, so maybe just for peace of mind we should confirm this with whoever does booking there, but if everything checks out than that rules.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
trappedinside
Posting while trapped inside an elevator

Post by trappedinside »

The Bayanihan isn't doing shows right now, they're supposedly just "taking a break" but one can only assume they'll be more strict upon their return, the people who run that place see all the empty beer cans strewn about there at every show and are bound to start getting fed up sooner or later. Wolf was supposed to do a show for Hellshock and some other crust bands recently but literally could not put it on because there's no affordable venue to have it at. People could just start doing bar shows I guess but I'd be very sad to see that happen. To me Nick is right in that a well-run house venue is the ideal way to go.
age of quarrel
A FIRESTORM TO PURIFY

Post by age of quarrel »

those business cards better actually happen. and yes yes yes to mixed bills, thats how i met new people in victoria and got turned onto hardcore.
http://wearetonguetied.blogspot.com
Rude Boy Puff wrote:tommarow theyre gonna eat more pussy and sniff more cocaine then any of us have ever seen.
Just saying.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

trappedinside wrote:The Bayanihan isn't doing shows right now, they're supposedly just "taking a break" but one can only assume they'll be more strict upon their return, the people who run that place see all the empty beer cans strewn about there at every show and are bound to start getting fed up sooner or later. Wolf was supposed to do a show for Hellshock and some other crust bands recently but literally could not put it on because there's no affordable venue to have it at. People could just start doing bar shows I guess but I'd be very sad to see that happen. To me Nick is right in that a well-run house venue is the ideal way to go.
i heard about them being more selective about who can do shows. Not about the "taking a break"
hmmmm
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

age of quarrel wrote:those business cards better actually happen. and yes yes yes to mixed bills, thats how i met new people in victoria and got turned onto hardcore.

Actually ordered them the same time I posted that. I'm ridiculously stoked to get them.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.