Books you are currently reading

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

absorb
VIHC Poster

Re: Books you are currently reading

Post by absorb »

Hunter's Hell's Angels is a fun read indeed!

I just finished "Martian Time Slip" by phillip k dick... hands down my favorite book by him so far. Bought "The House On The Borderland" on the weekend, i dunno what it's gonna be like, but it looks VERY Electric Wizard.

I always have a couple things on the go, so I'm also reading Japrocksampler, Special Interest #5, David Lynch "catching The Big Fish", Cinema Sewer vol.1...I also just got this "As Loud As Possible" Noise magazine in the mail today... flipping threw it at work, it's insane. I tottally advise anyone who's into experimental shit to grab this slab of history, worth every penny:
http://store.justsaynorecords.com/products/6706
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

just finished I, Robot.
Starting up The Man in the High Castle.
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

I seem to have come out of a deep dark hole of creative and intellectual stupor recently. I've been writing like a mad man and reading everything I can get my hands on. Finished three books in the past two weeks.

Actually started this a few months ago, just finished reading it. Fucking amazing book. The addendum "Mistakes We Knew We Were Making" is also hilarious and the possibly the best primer on how creative non-fiction works. The book itself is alternatively hilarious, devastating and (somehow) self-aware. I usually like memoirs, but this one was excellent. Making me re-think the genre, to be honest.

This was an incredibly fair look at the Sacco/Vanzetti trial. I ended up despising the judge, jury, prosecutor, and a whole host of Boston's early-20th century elite, but it had nothing to do with the author. Bruce Watson managed to present a clear, concise, expertly researched and incredibly well written account of an intensely political and horrifying chapter in American justice. All while managing to keep his own personal bias almost completely out of it. Great read, I highly recommend it.

I just read this book in a 24 hour period. I honestly couldn't put it down. Amazing science fiction. You basically start seeing where a lot (and I mean A LOT) of sci-fi movies from the mid-80's on ripped off their ideas. The Matrix seems to have been cut and pasted from this novel, to be honest. Awesome science-fiction with a noir flair. Lots of action, lots of drugs, lots of philosophical musings on the nature of technology in the coming times (and fairly prescient on quite a few points). I already loved William Gibson, but I seriously understand why he's so well regarded now.

Gonna start Notes From the Underground tonight, then move on to Trainspotting when I'm done with that. Not sure where to then, maybe The Hollow Crown (an historical text on medieval England), or maybe I'll hunt down a copy of Idoru (another Gibson novel).

But first I'm gonna watch Muppets Take Manhattan.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

just finished reading the last section of Landscapes of War by Juan Goytisolo. its an incredible book. a historical analysis of contemporary conflicts between western and islamic societies in europe. specifically algeria, sarajevo, chechnya, and palestine.

gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

-Warren
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

Finished Man in High Castle - not the best I've read from PKD, though has some very interesting moments.
Currently reading Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card.
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

I just finished Moneyball in like 3 days. So up my alley. If you like baseball, read this book (gonna watch the movie soon and judge that.)
Also reading a lot of HP Lovecraft lately. I got the Necronomicon compilation from work and it ruuules. First experience with Lovecraft and lovin' it.
Working at Chapters now there's so many books I wanna get/read. Mad props to Weirdie Beans for gettin' me the job and bein' da best boss.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

hell yeah, william gibson is the man. i've probably read neuromancer about three times and loved it every time.

idoru is great as well, i'd really recommend it.

another sci fi fave of mine is snow crash:

i know a few ideas were generally taken from gibson's idea/culture of cyberpunk, but what made snow crash the coolest to me was the fact that neal stephenson allowed me to understand what an avatar is and just how cool and crazy they could be, kinda like building giant personas in cyberspace.

right now i'm not reading anything, i need some good suggestions to be honest! i did recently get Ben Pepin's "Ta Yeule" book, which compiles photos from punk and hardcore shows in quebec and ontario (maybe a few other places too). there's some awesome shots of bands like brutal knights, fucked up, etc etc. check it out!
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

i really really wanna read Snowcrash but i have 3084304830 books sitting in my room that i havent even touched...ughghghg
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
weirdie
Probably not a spambot

Post by weirdie »

Tambro wrote: Working at Chapters now there's so many books I wanna get/read. Mad props to Weirdie Beans for gettin' me the job and bein' da best boss.
and then QUITTIN' LIKE A BOSS!

I'm reading this right now. Super awesome.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

-Warren
ComradeSheridan
VIHC Poster

Post by ComradeSheridan »

I dunno.
grungePIG
VIHC Poster

Post by grungePIG »

ANNA KARENINA. I'm only on page 27 but so far...BELIEVE THE HYPE.
Corrence
VIHC Poster

Post by Corrence »

GF bought it, loaned it straight up to me first before reading it. About 1/3 the way through it and it's captivating.
Former brute; present beast
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

I still can't read
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Just finished reading this. Quite possibly the funniest book I've ever read. Probably the most accessible Pynchon book if you're looking to get into him.
cadaver
just looking to meet up with likeminded users who are into eating human flesh

Post by cadaver »

franks is hippies
weirdie
Probably not a spambot

Post by weirdie »

Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »