Books you are currently reading

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Re: Books you are currently reading

Post by Hollow »

Peter wrote:I don't get around to reading much in the last year, but now that my XBOX live is up and I'm not going to renew it (and yes, I know that's a lame excuse) I finally finished Goodbye 20th Century: A History of Sonic Youth, and have just started Eating The Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman. He's my favorite writer so I'm excited about reading it, finally.

Eating the Dinosaur is a great book.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

Hollow wrote:
Peter wrote:I don't get around to reading much in the last year, but now that my XBOX live is up and I'm not going to renew it (and yes, I know that's a lame excuse) I finally finished Goodbye 20th Century: A History of Sonic Youth, and have just started Eating The Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman. He's my favorite writer so I'm excited about reading it, finally.

Eating the Dinosaur is a great book.
Yikes. Judging by my grammar I should be reading more...
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

Probably gonna start A Clockwork Orange tonight
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

clockwork orange is essentially just the narration of the movie with some extra bits. it's really short too, a pretty easy read once you get used to stumbling past the jargon.

also about sedaris, I went to the reading/signing last year! haha. he was a cool guy.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
shakehurst
VIHC Poster

Post by shakehurst »

hawking, the grand design
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

Finished Old Man and the Sea.
Starting The Time Machine.
boom.
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Old Man and the Sea is a pretty meh Hemmingway book. I am reading Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miler.

Also what's everyone's reactions to them trying to take "nigger" out of Huck Fin?
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

officespace wrote: Also what's everyone's reactions to them trying to take "nigger" out of Huck Fin?
Despite my aversion to the usage of that word, it should just be left the way it is. Changing any literature in any form is pretty sketchy to me.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Well obviously I don't go around using the word nigger but to change a piece of literature so they can teach it in school etc. Soon they're going to have to change To Kill A Mockingbird etc.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

that is thing though they shouldn't have to take nigger out to teach it to children. If you can't properly teach the book you shouldn't be teaching in the first place. Also nigger is in the book for a purpose.

-Warren
xchadx
notable fraudster/loser nerd/homophobe

Post by xchadx »

Last edited by xchadx on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Clockwork is prob Kubrick's worst film. I mean it's still great but definately the worst/most overrated of his catalogue.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

First, to respond to the Huck Finn question:

Roger Ebert said it best "I'd rather be called a nigger than a slave" (this is in response to the suggestion that the word "nigger" be replaced by the word "slave"). Beyond the fact that posthumously changing a mans work is sketchy at best, horrifically offensive at worst, lets look at the history of this novel. This is probably one of the most important pieces of anti-slavery literature, ever. Twain was a passionate abolitionist, and felt that the only way to really make an effective argument was to write a story from the perspective of a southerner who had never questioned the practice of slavery. Huck, at the beginning of the book, simply doesn't worry about slavery. He knows it exists, he's aware of the slaves in the general area he lives in, but he doesn't really care because it doesn't affect him. The most important part of that novel is the raft trip where Jim and Huck become friends and Huck, for the first time, sees Jim as a human being. Twain meant it to be an allegory for the relationship between poor whites and black slaves; i.e., they're in the same fucking position, and they're all human. The word itself was meant to show that, and by the end of the novel (and it's been a while since I've read it, so if what I say next is horribly wrong please correct me) Huck doesn't even use the word, and simply refers to the man as Jim. OH HAY SUBTEXT.

Second, in response to Clockwork Orange:

I've never read the book, but I like the damn movie. Ridiculously boring.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

slave please
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

officespace wrote:Clockwork is prob Kubrick's worst film. I mean it's still great but definately the worst/most overrated of his catalogue.
im pretty sure eyes wide shut is his worst.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

I concede that clockwork orange had some bad flaws. Alex when he's "feeling sick" is some cringe-worthy acting. It also has some unsurpassed brilliance, especially the set design and soundtrack.

Regarding the book, I stick with my opinion that nothing should be changed. Committees like that just want to pick apart little elements when an overall piece is much too complicated for them to grasp the significance of. Writing conjures up a unique emotional response depending on who is the reader. Nothing should need to be censored unless it is causing people harm (ie. a "let's kill Joe Thomas" mass-circulated paper) and even then, I'd hope that society can just make up its own mind. Then again, that hasn't really worked for the Bible yet. WHOOPS.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

tylerp wrote:Then again, that hasn't really worked for the Bible yet. WHOOPS.
mad truth
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

tylerp wrote:I'd hope that society can just make up its own mind. Then again, that hasn't really worked for the Bible yet. WHOOPS.
IMHO, if society is misconstruing the meaning of a work of fiction, whether it's Huck Finn or the Bible, then that's the fault of the society teaching said work of fiction.
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

people should read more science textbooks and less da vinci code