Books you are currently reading

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

officespace
VIHC Poster

Books you are currently reading

Post by officespace »

I thought this would be a cool idea.

Ham on Rye-Bukowski(Warren is reading this)
Cat's Cradle-Vonnegut(Darren is reading this)

Two classics i must say. Anyway what is the island reading?
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Re: Books you are currently reading

Post by Jordan f. »

The Testament-Eric Van Lustbader
Victoria Straight Edge
amanda
VIHC Poster

Post by amanda »

Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body - Neil Shubin.

so good, im a nerd but evolution is AWESOME. talks about how all our parts are related to everything else with parts.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Historia Calamitatum-Peter Abelard
10000 articles for various classes.

I don't really get to read stuff I want to read during school.

But before classes began, I was reading The Adventures of Cavelier and Clay by Michael Chabon.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

officespace wrote:
LOVE both of those books!

i just finished And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks by Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs. I've never read a book quite like it since it was written by two authors - seminal authors at that - and they traded off from chapter to chapter and both wrote about a separate character involved in the same story... interesting, plus i'm a sucker for the beat generation.

currently reading Perfume - Patrick Suskind. I tried to read it many months ago on tour but couldn't get into it, but then i picked it up the other day and haven't put it down since - except to get drunk or to watch it's always sunny.
VIVA like
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

KYLESTYLE wrote:
i just finished And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks by Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs. I've never read a book quite like it since it was written by two authors - seminal authors at that - and they traded off from chapter to chapter and both wrote about a separate character involved in the same story... interesting, plus i'm a sucker for the beat generation.
Yeah I read that on the plane coming back from England. Too good.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

KYLESTYLE wrote:
officespace wrote:
LOVE both of those books!

currently reading Perfume - Patrick Suskind. I tried to read it many months ago on tour but couldn't get into it, but then i picked it up the other day and haven't put it down since - except to get drunk or to watch it's always sunny.

Yeah i got the hippos were boiled in their tanks for christmas. Darren has already read it but I'm picking it up after I finish the book I'm on. It sounds simply amazing.
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

the greatest part, i found, was that it was based on a true story that happened to both Burroughs and Kerouac.
VIVA like
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

KYLESTYLE wrote: currently reading Perfume - Patrick Suskind. I tried to read it many months ago on tour but couldn't get into it, but then i picked it up the other day and haven't put it down since - except to get drunk or to watch it's always sunny.

Read this on the train trip I took last year. Also couldn't put it down, finished it in something like a day. The movie is pretty amazing, too.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Mikey
VIHC Poster

Post by Mikey »

the oxford history of the roman world - john boardman/jasper griffin/oswyn murray
Tacticus The Annals - translated by AJ Woodman
Roman civilization Volume 1 The Republic and the Augustan Age - Naphtali Lewis and Meyer Reinhold
Rubicon - Tom Holland

yeah. i'm on a Roman history kick.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

KYLESTYLE wrote:the greatest part, i found, was that it was based on a true story that happened to both Burroughs and Kerouac.
Yeah thats fucked. The afterword was kinda shocking in a lot of ways. I had never read anything by either author before, so got me way more interested in them shits.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

Aside from the readings related to school I'm going through Foundation and Empire by Asimov. I also go through my weekly wednesday comics.
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Where would you suggest I start with Asimov. I'm a huge fan of Bradbury's, and I've heard that they explore the same kind of philosophical questions. I just never got around to reading Asimov.
grungePIG
VIHC Poster

Post by grungePIG »

i read perfume a couple years ago and loved it. that book is so great.

i don't want to get into how much i love vonnegut...cat's cradle is one of my favorite books of all time.

i've been reading the sirens of titan (also vonnegut) for quite a while but school is destroying my life so i haven't had time to finish.

for school i'm currently reading blood meridian by cormac mccarthy and the age of innocence by edith wharton.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

grungePIG wrote:
for school i'm currently reading blood meridian by cormac mccarthy .
i tried to read that, after being recommended by a friend, but couldn't get past a quarter... I didn't like his writing style. Do you like it so far?
I've been told that The Road is a more accessible book so i plan on reading that soon.
VIVA like
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

grungePIG wrote: i don't want to get into how much i love vonnegut...cat's cradle is one of my favorite books of all time.

i've been reading the sirens of titan (also vonnegut) for quite a while but school is destroying my life so i haven't had time to finish.
The Sirens of Titan was the first Vonnegut book I ever read when I was 19. It's also probably his darkest. Cat's Cradle is also damn good, but Sirens is my personal favorite.
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

Hollow wrote:Where would you suggest I start with Asimov. I'm a huge fan of Bradbury's, and I've heard that they explore the same kind of philosophical questions. I just never got around to reading Asimov.
I would say go for any of the books in the Robot series. You don't have to read them in any order, but you get more out of it if you do. I think I, Robot is the first in the series (try and get a copy without Will Smith starrin' back at you...or get it free on Google Books). The Galactic Empire series is good, but it takes awhile to get going. If you can, find a collection of his short stories.
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

darcy wrote:
Hollow wrote:Where would you suggest I start with Asimov. I'm a huge fan of Bradbury's, and I've heard that they explore the same kind of philosophical questions. I just never got around to reading Asimov.
I would say go for any of the books in the Robot series. You don't have to read them in any order, but you get more out of it if you do. I think I, Robot is the first in the series (try and get a copy without Will Smith starrin' back at you...or get it free on Google Books). The Galactic Empire series is good, but it takes awhile to get going. If you can, find a collection of his short stories.

Sweet! Thanks dude.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

KYLESTYLE wrote:
grungePIG wrote:
for school i'm currently reading blood meridian by cormac mccarthy .
i tried to read that, after being recommended by a friend, but couldn't get past a quarter... I didn't like his writing style. Do you like it so far?
I've been told that The Road is a more accessible book so i plan on reading that soon.
I thought The Road was a pretty good book. The pacing in it is great, you feel the slow drag of the plodding road trip on foot without ever feeling it's boring or monotonous to read.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

suggestion for asimov: i, robot
I read it when I was a kid and it's a great collection of short stories that questions the problems with his original "rules" for robots to follow
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂