Lookin' for a guitar cab

Shirts, CDs, 7"s, LPs, Gear, Vans, Lawnmowers

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Lookin' for a guitar cab

Post by stumped. »

i'm not all that farmiliar with technical terms, but i play in All for the best and i'm in need of a cab so i don't have to borrow everyones gear all the time.
any kind will do, lots of watts i suppose? i like those marshall thingys everyone uses. my price range is 100-300 (i know its pretty low, but so are my standards i s'pose)
thanks alot guys, if i find out more detailed information about what i'm seeking i'll post it.
<3 Jakob
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Re: Lookin' for a guitar cab

Post by Tambro »

Look for something from Avatar if you can find them (hard to find in Victoria, maybe easier in the greater Vancouver area?) or Carvin. Generally they're the better cabs in that lower price range. Do you already have a head you'll be playing through it? Also, consider getting something along the lines of a Traynor 2x12 combo or something, they can certainly get loud enough if you aren't competing with the other guitarists half stacks, and can sound great for the price.
If you want any help, I've spent a lot of time researching this sort of thing (as I'm sure lots of others on this board have as well) so I'm more than willing to help if I can. As always, check craigslist, usedvancouver (is this a thing? I usedvictoria everything), livevancouver (think this might be the same forum as livevictoria's gear buy/sell though), etc.
Best of luck!
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

that is a pretty low price range but you might be able to snag something. especially if you're vigilant about checking used sites and keep sending offers. someone will bite. those marshall 1960 cabs or pretty much anything with celestion speakers are pretty standard. I'm inclined to believe in the power and beauty of matching heads and cabs due to complimentary wiring and testing in development. I think those orange 4x12s sound killer but they're super expensive. I'd say... worst case scenario, just keep your eyes open and grab whatever cheap working 4x12 you can get your hands on (behringer....crate....etc) with the right ohmage and wattage to suit your needs. then just flip it online when you have the cash to upgrade or see something better. the used gear market is like that. most of what you buy will sell for the same (sometimes higher) as long as you buy used and get a good deal.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Hey Jakob, shoot me an email and we can have a look around Van for a deal on a cab.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

thanks alot for the information guys, i really appreciate it
i'll most certainly drop you a line andrew, i just need to get your email from the twins
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

I can't tell, are you looking for a head as well?
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

tylerp wrote:I can't tell, are you looking for a head as well?
sorry i should've clarified, i'm covered for an amphead
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

stumped. wrote:sorry i should've clarified, i'm covered for an amphead
What amp do you have?
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

Andrew wrote:
stumped. wrote:sorry i should've clarified, i'm covered for an amphead
What amp do you have?
i bought a mid-70's peavey musician from a guy i used to work with. fresh tubes and gently used, it just has a few inputs that need to be repaired
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

oh man, that's rad! sounds cool. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a cheaper vintage peavey cab to match it, if that's your thing. a peavey 4x12, looked to be early 80's, sold here for $180 or something not too long ago.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

tylerp wrote:oh man, that's rad! sounds cool. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a cheaper vintage peavey cab to match it, if that's your thing. a peavey 4x12, looked to be early 80's, sold here for $180 or something not too long ago.
it'd be so sick if i could fetch a 4x12 for that price... i'm too concerned with matching though. as long as i can find one in working order i'll be content