Bass guitars

Shirts, CDs, 7"s, LPs, Gear, Vans, Lawnmowers

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Bass guitars

Post by Tambro »

I'm looking for a replacement bass...
The only things I'm really considering are a Fender Jazz or another Stingray. I'd ideally like a another Stingray (or Sterling, might even consider a Bongo, I'd have to try it out), but it might be too expensive. I'm looking to spend under $1000. Mostly looking for a good deal. Anybody have anything they're trying to offload and would give me a deal, or have suggestions?
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
Andrew
Sea bass

Re: Bass guitars

Post by Andrew »

Tambro wrote:I'm looking for a replacement bass...
The only things I'm really considering are a Fender Jazz or another Stingray. I'd ideally like a another Stingray (or Sterling, might even consider a Bongo, I'd have to try it out), but it might be too expensive. I'm looking to spend under $1000. Mostly looking for a good deal. Anybody have anything they're trying to offload and would give me a deal, or have suggestions?
There's good chance I could find you a Stingray for under $1,000 on the bass nerd forums Tambro. Are you ok with buying online (ie. not getting to play it first)? If so, let me know what colors you prefer, fingerboard wood, etc.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

there are SO MANY stingrays on the victoria craigslist. might take a lot of bartering to snag one but I feel like you could do it.

buying a fender jazz bass could be a good idea though. I had a fretless fender jazz and loved it. and seriously, the MIM/MIJ fenders are totally decent (this can depend on the era but generally holds true). and if you get a good deal on a nice MIM jazz bass, you'd have a quality instrument and a ton of cash left over.

pretty stoked on my 90's Fender P-bass though. I know bass isn't my main instrument but I was totally convinced by Kidcrash's bass tone. P-basses are pretty typical/boring looking but they sound amazing. I love the depth and punch. I ended up doing an even trade for my MIM jazz (that's where it went...) but I don't regret it at all.

also I gotta back Rondo. http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

the company makes cheap and awesome quality guitars. if you wanted something cheap but totally decent while you're looking for a deal on a Stingray, it could be a cool route. you could always hold onto it as a backup. and they have some with P/J pickup configurations.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

If you can find a sweet MIJ Fender, I'd go with that. Such a good instrument for the price. I've never come across a MIJ Fender I didn't think was great. (The one I own, althought it is a Guitar, included).

Although when it comes to basses I'm a P over a Jazz kind of guy.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

or buy one of these and play the patch at 1:04

▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/msg/1911408987.html

Here's a Stingray on the island. I'd replace the fugly pickguard, but otherwise seems like a cool bass. I've heard nothing but good things about the 2 pickup Stingray basses, and whenever I use my Musicman Saber bass I prefer the neck pickup. Real beefy combo in the neck pickup and the MM preamp.
Tambro

Post by Tambro »

Thanks for all the input!
I remember preferring JBass sounds to PBass, but admittedly I haven't compared the 2 in like 4 years, since I've owned my Stingray. I feel like if I get another Stingray I want it to be exactly what I want (i.e. the finish I want, I care about aesthetics, haha), and am definitely cruising usedvic/craigslist/livevic (lols) looking for deals. I'll probably go to L&M and try a bunch of basses that I've never tried before to see if anything impresses me, then buy it somewhere else, haha.
What bass forums do you frequent, Andrew?
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Yeah, get a bass you're stoked on the looks of too. I'm a believer that you should be happy with every aspect of a bass or guitar if you're going to put out a bunch of money for one.

I talked to my bud at the L+M in Van and the only "cheap" Stingray they have is a white with matching headstock for $1075. I think you could do better on the used market for sure.
What color choices are you into? If I see something I think might interest you I'll point it out to you.

Your best bet is Talkbass.com . They have a huge for sale section, with lots of used basses. If you don't see anything of interest there today you might see plenty in a week, the turnaround on gear there is frequent. I looked and didn't see a lot of Stingrays for under $1,000, but I'm told by the guys on another board that you should have no problem finding a used 'ray for $700-800.

If you decide to go Fender, I think the Geddy Lee Jazz is pretty sweet. Tiniest neck of any current production Fender (it has a 1.45" nut, vs. a normal 1.5" nut on a jazz. Seems insignificant, but it is noticeable). Plus maple board with black blocks and binding is hot.
Tambro

Post by Tambro »

I'm thinking of either getting some sort of natural finish, some sort of burst (tobacco burst, honey burst, dragon burst, black cherry burst, depends how it looks really), or maybe white pickguard on olympic white... I'm in love with how Jewish's translucent teal stingray looks. So badass! If I get a solid I'd probably want some sort of green or teal, maybe translucent?

I'm thinking of checking out the ESP basses at Tom Lee... I love my LTD guitar, and the price is certainly right, so I might give 'em a shot...
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

The pickguard would need to be replaced, but here's a honeyburst Ray for $750 on TB.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthrea ... t=stingray
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

No pics, but a sunburst Stingray in Van on CL for $850.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/m ... 04916.html
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

hey dude, don't discount ibanez basses. the SR series are really affordable and sound awesome. i played one in mayday mayday.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.
SewnFlesh
VIHC Poster

Post by SewnFlesh »

Andrew wrote:The pickguard would need to be replaced, but here's a honeyburst Ray for $750 on TB.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthrea ... t=stingray
Whats wrong with the pick-guard???
Tambro

Post by Tambro »

I think I'd need to be getting an awesome deal in Van in order to go out and pick it up, or have it be a convenient time when I'd be over there already.

That honeyburst ray looks sooooo nice! (excepting the pickguard, hahaha) but I'm not sure how shipping, etc. would work and I'm afraid of all the added costs. I personally don't have any experience buying gear online (with the exception of pedals), so I think that's the main reason I'm hesitant.

Also, I used to own an Ibanez 5 string. I liked it at first, but I got over the thin neck, and wouldn't buy a 5 string again likely.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

Granted, I know you need one soon, but you should try and track down one of these babies

Peavey T-40. An AWESOME bass (the guitars, T-60 are also super cool). They sound great, play great, and because they're peavey, often go for fairly affordable. The ONLY complaint about them is they weigh a TON, but thats part of why they sound so good.

Case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vintage-Peavey-T-40- ... 166wt_1139

It's not even at 300 dollars yet.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

Here's a review of the bass someone posted on the interwebz

http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=382162
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

Peter, that bass looks badass.
VIVA like
Tambro

Post by Tambro »

KYLESTYLE wrote:Peter, that bass looks badass.
Tambro

Post by Tambro »

There's one of these in L&M for $500... http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... +Bass/50/1
It's a natural burst with black pickguard though.
I think I'm gonna compare it to a stingray and see which I prefer on Monday, then make my decision...
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Tambro wrote:There's one of these in L&M for $500... http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... +Bass/50/1
It's a natural burst with black pickguard though.
I think I'm gonna compare it to a stingray and see which I prefer on Monday, then make my decision...
Eric from Maus uses an Aerodyne Jazz in Book of Caverns and it sounds great with his Ampeg set up.