Pop Punk

Discuss music. Do not post mediafire/sendspace links at all in this forum.

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

darcy
VIHC Poster

Re: Pop Punk

Post by darcy »

Couldn't one just point towards Phat Wreck for any pop-punk styled being played today, and Burning Heart for any European groups?

Whatever, I get all my popunk knowledge from Nothing Nice 2 say.
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

Andrew wrote:
officespace wrote:I don't know where to begin with the greatest music style ever played
That's easy, the greatest music style ever played is jazz, and an easy starting point is Blue Note era Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker, followed closely by Charles Mingus and Chet Baker.
jazz is sick.

A few weeks ago my mp3 player had the following albums on it
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderly
The Shape of Jazz to Come - Ornette Coleman

most of these were from suggestions from tyler as i had lost a lot of the jazz albums i had when my ipod got stolen.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

dalamar501 wrote:
Andrew wrote:I wouldn't categorize these bands as pop punk Troy, but bands that come to mind in a similar vein as these bands you might want to check out would be Elliot, Heatmiser and (locals) By A Thread.
i didn't i just said not really pop punk but do have some sick catchy parts in my opinion
Yep, not disagreeing with you, just adding my opinion to what you'd said. Gloria Record is worth checking out too if anyone likes Mineral. Also not really pop punk but still a nice mix of pretty and catchy riffs.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

dalamar501 wrote:jazz is sick.

A few weeks ago my mp3 player had the following albums on it
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderly
The Shape of Jazz to Come - Ornette Coleman

most of these were from suggestions from tyler as i had lost a lot of the jazz albums i had when my ipod got stolen.
All good records!
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

essentials for pop-punk:Carrie Nations,Ergs!,Screeching Weasel,Mr.T Experience,The Queers,The Ramones,Title fight,Old NFG,Blink-182,Green Day,Bitchin,Broadway Calls,Pansy Division,Teen Idols,Chixdiggit!,Clorox Girls,Crimpshirine,GoB,Jawbreaker,Old JEW,,Latterman,The Lillingtons,The Huntingtons,Teenage Bottlerocket,Manner Farm,Squirtgun,Chinese Telephones

Locals:The Remedials
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Andrew wrote:
officespace wrote:I don't know where to begin with the greatest music style ever played
That's easy, the greatest music style ever played is jazz, and an easy starting point is Blue Note era Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker, followed closely by Charles Mingus and Chet Baker.

BACKED. Charles Mingus rules. I'm a big Thelonius Monk fan, myself.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

man, i don't know if anyone is stoked on rocket from the crypt, but they ruled.

also, beat kids? HAHAHA

pop punk? i'm pretty sick of it, but i'll always be in love with saves the day.
VIVA like
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

KYLESTYLE wrote: also, beat kids? HAHAHA
I know a dude who has like a huge box of their EPs. You want a copy? I can pick one up for you.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

grind/bro wrote:
KYLESTYLE wrote: also, beat kids? HAHAHA
I know a dude who has like a huge box of their EPs. You want a copy? I can pick one up for you.

i still don't have a the ep version of this
only have the older version the one burned on a cd
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
centipede
Probably not a spambot

Post by centipede »

Well if you look at punk as a ideology in music and not just a fast tempo, pop doesnt fit much with it.
I think the decendants where amazing.
like is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

centipede wrote:Well if you look at punk as a ideology in music and not just a fast tempo, pop doesnt fit much with it.

I would look at punk as a community, as a cultural and artistic movement, as a reaction to the stale musical culture of the 70's, but never as an ideology. I see ideologies WITHIN punk rock (anarchism, veganism, etc.) and ideologies that exist BECAUSE of punk rock (straightedge), but I would never put the label "ideology" onto a musical style. Cuz try as you might, it will never ever be more than that. Music.

And, to expound upon this further, I think that that may have been the problem from the get go; an attempt by the original punk rock pioneers to apply very broad concepts to a very narrow scope of music. Instead of enjoying the music for what it was, and using the culture as a vehicle for ideological philosophizing, they attempted to use the music as ideology and ended up hating everything.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Fish
VIHC Poster

Post by Fish »

I left my laptop on this morning and came home to my mom listening to Beat Kids.
<x><
heartlessatbest
Probably not a spambot

Post by heartlessatbest »

Fish wrote:I left my laptop on this morning and came home to my mom listening to Beat Kids.
SORRY FOR PARTYING!!!!!
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

Hollow wrote:
centipede wrote:Well if you look at punk as a ideology in music and not just a fast tempo, pop doesnt fit much with it.

I would look at punk as a community, as a cultural and artistic movement, as a reaction to the stale musical culture of the 70's, but never as an ideology. I see ideologies WITHIN punk rock (anarchism, veganism, etc.) and ideologies that exist BECAUSE of punk rock (straightedge), but I would never put the label "ideology" onto a musical style. Cuz try as you might, it will never ever be more than that. Music.

And, to expound upon this further, I think that that may have been the problem from the get go; an attempt by the original punk rock pioneers to apply very broad concepts to a very narrow scope of music. Instead of enjoying the music for what it was, and using the culture as a vehicle for ideological philosophizing, they attempted to use the music as ideology and ended up hating everything.
Victoria Straight Edge
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

Fish wrote:I left my laptop on this morning and came home to my mom listening to Beat Kids.
loooooooooooooool
ian
VIHC Poster

Post by ian »

as long as we made one mom happy somewhere that band was worth it. not counting leos girlfriend.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

ian wrote:as long as we made one mom happy somewhere that band was worth it. not counting leos girlfriend.
Wow you just went there...
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
heartlessatbest
Probably not a spambot

Post by heartlessatbest »

ian wrote:as long as we made one mom happy somewhere that band was worth it. not counting leos girlfriend.
oh sweet jesus, ian
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

Onion Flavoured Rings are also a must for pop-punk
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE SHE IS A MOM!
VIVA like