Education for the New Guy

Discuss music. Do not post mediafire/sendspace links at all in this forum.

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

peejay037
Probably not a spambot

Education for the New Guy

Post by peejay037 »

Hey,

I'm sort of a newbie when it comes to hardcore. This weekends festivities has helped in my understanding of it but as far as the genre goes I got the basics down. But thats about it. Heres some of the punk bands I like. Not all of them are hardcore but hopefully it will give you a rough sketch of my taste:

Bad Brains
Jawbreaker
Black Flag
Bad Religion
The Clash
Fugazi
The Replacements
The Misfits
The Descendants
The Ramones (meh)
The Offspring
NOFX
Operation Ivy
The Pixies (one of my fav bands ever. period)
The Gits
Circle Jerks
early Green Day
The Melvins
Blink 182
et al.

Help a brother out. It'd be much obliged :)
Andrew
Sea bass

Re: Education for the New Guy

Post by Andrew »

Hey PJ, welcome to the board, glad you made it out to the fest.

What is it you're looking for? Recommendations of other bands perhaps? What bands did you like at the fest this weekend?
peejay037
Probably not a spambot

Post by peejay037 »

I'm wanting some recommendations based on the bands on this list. I really like Persistance of Time, Slingshot, Young Oppresion, Jayne Collingwood, Promises, Damages, Crucified, Tongue Tied, Still Fighting and AK47. The band at the BBQ at Troy's was good to. Falling Down right?
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

Check out Comadre.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

peejay037 wrote:I'm wanting some recommendations based on the bands on this list. I really like Persistance of Time, Slingshot, Young Oppresion, Jayne Collingwood, Promises, Damages, Crucified, Tongue Tied, Still Fighting and AK47. The band at the BBQ at Troy's was good to. Falling Down right?
You have varied tastes and like a lot of good bands (Bad Brains and Fugazi are two of my faves, and I love the Pixies too), so that's cool, but I think because you like a variety the best we can do is throw some bands at you and see if they catch your ear.

If you like NOFX and Offspring maybe check out Good Riddance and Propaghandi.

Fugazi, try Rites of Spring and Embrace, the bands that members of Fugazi were in before Fugazi.

I'm sure guys from the other bands you liked at the fest will chime in on what bands influence them, with Damages we really like Shotmaker and The Jesus Lizard, as well as lots of other 90's emotional hardcore bands. Start by looking up a record label called Ebullition. Check out a label called Amphetamine Reptile too, they'll have other bands like Melvins and other bands Damages are into. Discord records (label Fugazi is on) from the 80's and 90's put out some cool records too.

We habitually put bands we're influenced by in our myspace top friends, that should make it easy to hear a few of the bands mentioned. myspace.com/damagestothearchive

Let us know if you happen upon any new bands you're stoked on.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

peejay037 wrote:I'm wanting some recommendations based on the bands on this list. I really like Persistance of Time, Slingshot, Young Oppresion, Jayne Collingwood, Promises, Damages, Crucified, Tongue Tied, Still Fighting and AK47. The band at the BBQ at Troy's was good to. Falling Down right?

Hmm

try out: No Truce (did a split with Crucified), Reserve 34, Tear It Up (the album Nothing to Nothing), Descendents,
So many bands to actually check out. Find the bands you really like and try looking them up on last.fm. it will show other bands that people that listen to them listen to .... yeah.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Aaaaaand allow me to bring in the heavier/angrier/darker stuff.

Ringworm, Withdrawal (played second to last day one of the fest), Rotting Out, INTEGRITY (band that turned me from "eh, hardcore is fun" to "HOLY SHIT HARDCORE IS MY LIFE". My OPP copy of "Humanity is the Devil" on 10" is my most treasured possession), Pulling Teeth, Cursed, Haymaker, Converge, Behold (old Bremerton band, I think they've since broken up but you can still find their demo on some blogs. Worth searching out), Coalesce, Botch, Creeper (from Toronto), Day of Mourning (this is Motor, the drummer from Damages, first band. It is amazing. I hope he reads this and realizes he NEEDS TO DO A FUCKING REUNION), Gaza, Ghostlimb, Dropdead, Gray Ghost, His Hero Is Gone, Tragedy (HHIG, take two), Most Precious Blood (personally, I think their first album Nothing In Vain is their best, but all their albums are worth checking out), Indecision (MPB, take one), Behind Enemy Lines, and Motorhead (not technically hardcore, but any "essential listening" list should have them on it).

Also, Troy's advice about checking out the bands you like on last.fm and then following their "likes" and inspirations is a good call. It's kind of the 21st century version of reading the "thank you" list in the liner notes.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

if i had to pick five bands for anybody that wants to check out hardcore, i'd say:

warzone (specifically dfts dfts, steer clear of the s/t it's baaaaaaaaaaadd. the rest of the catalogue varies from album to album)

career suicide (so much fun live. bratty but in a good way. attempted suicide is so good.)

one life crew (joke/sketchy factor makes people not want to check them out, but crime ridden society is one of the hardest/catchiest records ever)

think i care (start with the s/t 7" then go through the catalogue. it's cool to see how the pissed/wild vibe of the first records progressed into something more groove/sheer terror influenced by the last album. still pissed, but more structured)

cro mags (aoq. skip the rest. very surprised nobody mentioned them. jj's current version of the band is probably the best thing going right now in terms of live hardcore. if you have the chance to see them, i highly suggest it. you will not be disappointed)
Josh
VIHC Poster

Post by Josh »

Check out:
Trial - ...Are these Our Lives
Bane - It All Comes Down to This
Go it Alone - Histories
Have Heart - The Things We Carry
Burn - st
In My Eyes - Nothing to Hide
Battery - Until the End
Unbroken - Life Love Regret
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Josh wrote:Check out:
Trial - ...Are these Our Lives
Bane - It All Comes Down to This
Go it Alone - Histories
Have Heart - The Things We Carry
Burn - st
In My Eyes - Nothing to Hide
Battery - Until the End
Unbroken - Life Love Regret

Oooh...good ones.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

Bands that are still current:

Mindset
Ceremony
Trapped Under Ice
Get The Most
Foundation
Victoria Straight Edge
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

Rude Boy Puff. wrote:Just listen to Madball
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

dalamar501 wrote:

Hmm

Reserve 34, Descendents,
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
soxfullanikkels
VIHC Poster

Post by soxfullanikkels »

Jordan f. wrote:Bands that are still current:

Trapped Under Ice

STAY COLD
PaulyHC
STREET BY STREET

Post by PaulyHC »

All good suggestions.

Also i believe there is a thread dedicated to this with oodles more bands to check out, it is in VIHC General and stickied,

"DIFINITIVE LIST" is the header i believe
Text message from Troy "honest dude" Lemberg 07-07-2010

"hey do you have any pot for sale"

^^ verbatim
xchadx
notable fraudster/loser nerd/homophobe

Post by xchadx »

Last edited by xchadx on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
peejay037
Probably not a spambot

Post by peejay037 »

Thanks a bunch guys. :)
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

You find any new bands you're liking?
peejay037
Probably not a spambot

Post by peejay037 »

A bunch of the ones you guys have mentioned but I've really become obsessed with At The Drive In, Rites of Spring, and Glassjaw
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

peejay037 wrote:At The Drive In, Rites of Spring
Two of my faves.

Are you familiar with Refused?