raps

Discuss music. Do not post mediafire/sendspace links at all in this forum.

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

darcy
VIHC Poster

Re: raps

Post by darcy »

I don't listen to that much hip-hop, but I'm a big fan of: Sage Francis (Mostly in Non-Prophet), and CR Avery

Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

that Earl Sweatshirt track is dooooope. the video is so fucked.

Watts Prophets, too much cool

Cannibal Ox
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

cannibal ox were so great. it's too bad the solo stuff from those dudes isn't really worthwhile.

i love many raps from texas. been a z ro fan for years. i can't get the best of cd out of my car lately, so much soul. if you're into southern/texas dudes with flow, check him out. the abn/guerilla maab stuff from late 90s/early 00s is tight.

Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

Listening to Ghostface Killer - Supreme Clientele right now. Been jamming Kid Cudi, Kanye, Wiz Khalifa non-stop lately.

I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
trappedinside
Posting while trapped inside an elevator

Post by trappedinside »

I enjoy hip-hop but I probably go out of my way to check out like 5 or 6 hip-hop albums a year. Most recent one I got into was this and I've been rocking it quite a bit lately even though some of the lyrics on the album cross the line a bit even for me.
giles
VIHC Poster

Post by giles »

Black Banana
Probably not a spambot

Post by Black Banana »

I don't listen to too much hip hop but I've gone through periods of listening to Busdriver exclusively. I like Cannibal Ox and some of the stuff I've heard from Gift of Gab, Doseone and El-P. I'd like to check out more, it's just kind of daunting since I don't know a whole lot about the genre to seek out the kind of stuff I dig.
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

props on posting up that pill video. that guy is real underrated still. this song goes hard.

another atl dude that is gaining heat:

i'm pretty stoked to catch bun b this weekend. it's a shame pimp c died, but i know bun still kills it.

i spent much of highschool listening to this song/tape in a cutlass driving around the countryside.

ill probably come up with a list of the top ten trunk slappers of 2010 soon.
Tambro

Post by Tambro »

keep_it_real wrote: ill probably come up with a list of the top ten trunk slappers of 2010 soon.
I'd be super into reading that!
Mikey
VIHC Poster

Post by Mikey »

Slug (AKA part of Atmosphere)

KRS-One for an old school dude

The Roots always and forever

Saul Williams

That's probably enough cloggin up the tubes for now from me
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

I dont like much rap. but I've been liking this lately. I like dense or really aggressive beats.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

here's my top ten trunk slappers of 2010: (*disclaimer* you will not be able to recreate the full sound of these off laptop speakers. just saying)

Honorable Mentions:

Big Boi/Yelawolf - You Ain't No DJ

- This album bangs so hard, it literally made my rear view mirror fall off while listening to it. I was fucking shocked, to say the least. While Andre 3000 gets weirder, more "progressive" and "conscious" and lamer, Big Boi gets more creative and awesome. Yelawolf is also probably the only whiteboy from Alabama that can rap as fast as Bizzy Bone, but without the meth (at least currently).

Fabolous - Suicide

- Borrow a Gravediggaz hook and rap some clever lines while getting at fakers = a good combo. That's all.

Plies - Rob Myself

- Arguably one of the worst rappers, Plies is just a caricature of what people want rappers to be like. Money Salads? Really? But wait till the songs starts. It bangs. How can this dummy get such great production? I assume with all those stacks. Listen to it a couple times and you'll probably be humming it in the bus.

10. Tity Boi - Get it in

- Tity's been down with DTP and playaz circle for years, but hasn't really been doing much solo stuff till recently. Sure, he's not exactly the best rapper but always seems to have great production. Check the classic ATL bass drum patterns, but this song twists the bass drums ala dubstep or something really non-rap related.

9. Roach Gigz - Goomba Pimpin'

- Roach really came out of nowhere, at least for me. Party raps to introspective and political songs, Roachy does it all. I'd say he's much different than most other peers from the bay area these days. Goomba pimpin' is a perfect song for a lakeside cruise. I expect big things for him in the future, somebody in Vic should book him a show.

8. Alley Boy - Throw it Up

- This list is about trunk slaps, so it's obvious that lyricism is not always important. In this case, Alley Boy brings tried and true thuggery. You can count of Jordan Tower for bringing the hood to youtube (and worldstarhiphop). Big gold grills, ski masks, guns, drugs, and fat bass drums is all you really need to make me happy. The Definition of Fuck Shit is one of the most rowdy, yet focused mixtapes I've heard in ages. You need two 12's in your trunk to really appreciate this song.

7. Cam'ron/Vado - Whistle

- The only song on this list from the east coast, Cam pretty much can do no wrong imo. While many of his Dipset peers got worse since the breakup, Cam maintained his cool and kept NYC wanting more in a time when most of his peers were unable to garner much accolade in the current climate of hip-hop. Cam was never a hater and embraced trends in production that many new yorkers eschewed, or just couldn't do well. Always a good ear for talent, it's great that he's got Vado on board, one of the few NYC rappers I can currently get down with (*shoutouts to Roc Marciano*). It also helps if you're producing a rap song to utilize ANYTHING reminiscent of Tetris, the greatest video game of all time.

6. The Jacka/Lee Majors & Freeway - Real Hood
http://www.zshare.net/audio/77351254a421ed13/ (*sorry can't find a youtube link*)

- Obviously not the first time somebody's rocked this classic beasties loop in the past couple years, but this one just seems to go harder than the rest (eg. Big Tuck/Gucci Mane "not a stain on me"). The Jacka keeps proving to be one of the most consistent rappers in the bay, and Gobots 2's compilation of 80s influenced songs are a definite change from the last Gobots mixtape that had varied beats, including some stuff I guess could be classified as "trance rap". It's no secret drugs play a huge part of these dudes overall image and lyrical content, but they do it in ways that don't bore me after repeat listens. Plus, you can throw Freeway on just about any beat and he's going to spit something hard. I'm all for east/west coast collaborations and Jacka is one of the few in the west that can get dudes like Cormega on multiple songs, respect!

5. Bun B/Drake - It's Been a Pleasure

- Bun B has carved a niche into hip-hop since the early 90s, so it's not a surprise that his latest album has garnered some of the best reviews he's ever had. Even with having to deal with the death of his co-collaborator and friend, Pimp C, Bun's managed to overcome it and become more accepted than ever before. Trill OG has a huge amount of crossover appeal, but still maintains the Port Arthur sound that his true fans are still in need of. It certainly doesn't hurt to get Drake on the hook, who's a self professed Bun B fan since he was a child. Obviously, it's not a surprise that the collaboration works VERY well. I can't even like on Drake, he deserves all the fame he can get.

4. Big K.R.I.T. - See Me on Top

- Krit is the best example of a new rapper to officially get me REALLY excited about hip-hop again. Can you name five rappers from Mississippi? Aside from Crooked Lettaz/David Banner, I'm really unable to think of anybody else that's had any true impact from there, it's a shame. However, this dude just came into the game and has changed things, hopefully for the better. K.R.I.T. Wuz Here is 100% in my top 5 albums of the year, regardless of genres. It's certain he's very influenced by Pimp C, but you can't write him off as a copycat. I can't think of another rapper with so much soul right now, aside from those who use that as a marketing technique. He's also the best live rapper I've seen in years.

3. Waka Flocka Flame - Hard in the Paint

- It's hilarious how much love AND like this guy gets. There's no fence sitting when it comes to Waka Flocka Flame, you either think he's great, or a complete moron. That'd be stressful, I can understand why he's high all the time. This song actually came out in 09, but nobody really cared till recently. This is a pure example of a song you can put on at a party and separate the fun-havers from the naysayers. Pure singalongs of ridiculous gangsta shit is what this is for, and nothing else. You can't overanalyze this guy's music like Pitchfork would (and did). It's half OOMPH camp ATL bass slaps and half Three 6 hooks and yelling, with a dash of Pastor Troy for good measure. Get drunk and act stupid.

2. Juicy J & Project Pat - Cali High

- The original Juiceman has been perfecting beats since before many of you were even born. I don't think there's anybody else that can do piano loops so well, it's like, I'm sure he writes half of it and probably samples the other from his neighbor's Windham Hill Collection Piano cd's. Bear in mind, he's an oscar winner and does spent time in Hollywood. Project Pat is a modern day poet. While I know both have gone through trials and tribulations of incarceration, multi platinum albums, substance abuse, group members going nuts, health problems, etc etc...you can ALWAYS count on them to make good weed related songs. Of course in 2010, everybody who's into smoking would love the chance to have some cali smoke, and this song/video is a prime example of it.

1. Gucci Mane - Weirdo

- I've been a huge fan of Gucci since trap house, and even though I'm not exactly enjoying the progression as he gets more famous, he's still lyrically one of the most underrated. The crossover into pop-ish territory he goes into on the Appeal still tilts its hat towards old school gangsterism ('gucci time' samples Justice, but also borrows so heavily from Schooly D). This song is just a perfect example of how currently, the south is just killing it. Drumma boy takes that classic Memphis sound and updates it with some OOMPH camp-ish ATL production, but with all the flair you'd expect in 2010. The chorus is perfect, I spent much of the late summer blasting this and basically looking like a weirdo in small town Ontario. It's a love or like thing, and I'm a lover.
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

here's the CB top 50 songs of 2010:

http://www.cocaineblunts.com/blunts/?p=6513#more-6513

pretty great list here, with links.
giles
VIHC Poster

Post by giles »

i definitely bang that waka flocka album too much. also, i hadn't listened to that new gucci album for some reason. this is good.

edit: i should add that we have identical lists, man. except i would have included:

i mean, i liked rick ross BEFORE he could rap... so now that he can rap i'm extra-excited.
Tambro

Post by Tambro »

I burned out on Flockavelli and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I find it hard to get into new artists off just singles, I'm an album kinda guy... Someone give me some suggestions for new albums to download!
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

giles wrote:i definitely bang that waka flocka album too much. also, i hadn't listened to that new gucci album for some reason. this is good.

edit: i should add that we have identical lists, man. except i would have included:

i mean, i liked rick ross BEFORE he could rap... so now that he can rap i'm extra-excited.

yes! i just figured ross was already in everybody's top songs this year so i omitted him. that album is practically flawless from start to finish. mc hammer and bmf were on constant repeat, hell, everywhere i went. justice league are on top.

lol i have the chance to either see ricky ross (in brampton lolz), or haymaker on jan 15th (obviously going to this).
age of quarrel
A FIRESTORM TO PURIFY

Post by age of quarrel »

keep_it_real wrote:3. Waka Flocka Flame - Hard in the Paint

- It's hilarious how much love AND like this guy gets. There's no fence sitting when it comes to Waka Flocka Flame, you either think he's great, or a complete moron. That'd be stressful, I can understand why he's high all the time. This song actually came out in 09, but nobody really cared till recently. This is a pure example of a song you can put on at a party and separate the fun-havers from the naysayers. Pure singalongs of ridiculous gangsta shit is what this is for, and nothing else. You can't overanalyze this guy's music like Pitchfork would (and did). It's half OOMPH camp ATL bass slaps and half Three 6 hooks and yelling, with a dash of Pastor Troy for good measure. Get drunk and act stupid.
I prefer baracka flacka
http://wearetonguetied.blogspot.com
Rude Boy Puff wrote:tommarow theyre gonna eat more pussy and sniff more cocaine then any of us have ever seen.
Just saying.
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

Tambro wrote:I burned out on Flockavelli and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I find it hard to get into new artists off just singles, I'm an album kinda guy... Someone give me some suggestions for new albums to download!
honestly i'd say avoid trying to find albums and just download mixtapes. most rappers nowadays are putting out better mixtapes than albums for a multitude of reasons. places like trapsntrunks,2dopeboyz,cocaineblunts,etc etc will get you hooked up quickly.
Josh
VIHC Poster

Post by Josh »

Lately Ive been digging
Ghostface, Rakewon and Method Man - Wu Massacre

[youtubeurl]http://www.youtube.com/v/ERpZXgY1Duk?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/youtubeurl]

Buckshot and Krs One - Survival Skills
[youtubeurl]
http://www.youtube.com/v/UFEEVX1m9m8?fs=1&hl=en_GB"
[/youtubeurl]

Army of the Pharoahs - The Unholy Terror