Music from season to season

Discuss music. Do not post mediafire/sendspace links at all in this forum.

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Re: Music from season to season

Post by Jordan f. »

I was listening to Alkaline Trio- Good Mourning the other day
Victoria Straight Edge
Mikey
VIHC Poster

Post by Mikey »

i second neil young on all days. lately to go with the weather I've been listening to Loudon Wainright III.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."
righteousxjames
VIHC Poster

Post by righteousxjames »

KYLESTYLE wrote:I changed my mind today. Upon working in the rain and listening to The Cure - Disintegration on tape while driving from job to job, I realised it's perfect fall music.
also Neil Young on rainy days. Actually, Neil Young on all days.
Word to everything in this post.

I listen to tons of hardcore all year round. However, I find that in the Fall I listen to a Hell of a lot more country (Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo, Drag the River, The Weight, Neko Case). This spring I got hella obsessed with New Order and would jam their albums a ridiculous amount, and for hardcore there was a lot of Mouthpiece, Battery, and Judge. In the summer I pretty much only listened to straight-forward hardcore: Our Turn, No Tolerance, The First Step, Waste Management, Uniform Choice, Violent Minds, Shark Attack, Modern Life is War, Floorpunch. I don't know what any of this has to do with the actual seasons, it's probably just how I go through phases when I jam a band too much and give them a rest for a while. Also in the summer my job sucked so I was always pissed and stressed.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

righteousxjames wrote: Drag the River, The Weight
I'm not familiar with these...

Good call on Uncle Tupelo and Whiskeytown; I just downloaded some albums.
VIVA like
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

KYLESTYLE wrote:

Uncle Tupelo rules.

I'm currently reacquainting myself with Sun Kil Moon's discography.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
righteousxjames
VIHC Poster

Hollow wrote:I'm currently reacquainting myself with Sun Kil Moon's discography.
Solid stuff, especially Ghosts of the Great Highway. I go through cycles of getting totally obsessed with Mark Kozelek; I actually like his Red House Painters stuff the best, especially Ocean Beach, and Songs for a Blue Guitar is in close second.
KYLESTYLE wrote:

Dude, the album "Ten Mile Grace" by the Weight is one of my favorites of that genre, and you can still get it really easy. I'd take a look either on the Suburban Home site or the No Idea distro.

Drag the River has the singers of All and the Armchair Martians, and they're totally sweet. "It's Crazy" is their best record, but "Hey Buddies" is also really sweet.

Uncle Tupelo are solid gold. The most expensive record I ever bought was the double LP of "Still Feel Gone" (one of the best records ever) and "March 16-20, 1990." I will not confess how much I payed for it. Also, check out Son Volt, it's Jay Farrar's band after Uncle Tupelo, particularly the album "Trace."

The best album by Whiskeytown is "Faithless Street", but "Pneumonia" is really good. Ryan Adams' solo stuff is also top-notch, it's a bit more singer-songwriter and not quite as country, but it's still really similar. "Heartbreaker" and "Cold Roses" are the best albums imo.
age of quarrel
A FIRESTORM TO PURIFY

Post by age of quarrel »

October through until it starts getting sunny again is dedicated to reserve 34, blue Monday and go it alone. After that I only listen to silent majority and capital until summer which is only Krishna bands and civ
http://wearetonguetied.blogspot.com
Rude Boy Puff wrote:tommarow theyre gonna eat more pussy and sniff more cocaine then any of us have ever seen.
Just saying.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

righteousxjames wrote:
Hollow wrote:I'm currently reacquainting myself with Sun Kil Moon's discography.
Solid stuff, especially Ghosts of the Great Highway. I go through cycles of getting totally obsessed with Mark Kozelek; I actually like his Red House Painters stuff the best, especially Ocean Beach, and Songs for a Blue Guitar is in close second.
KYLESTYLE wrote:

Dude, the album "Ten Mile Grace" by the Weight is one of my favorites of that genre, and you can still get it really easy. I'd take a look either on the Suburban Home site or the No Idea distro.

Drag the River has the singers of All and the Armchair Martians, and they're totally sweet. "It's Crazy" is their best record, but "Hey Buddies" is also really sweet.

Uncle Tupelo are solid gold. The most expensive record I ever bought was the double LP of "Still Feel Gone" (one of the best records ever) and "March 16-20, 1990." I will not confess how much I payed for it. Also, check out Son Volt, it's Jay Farrar's band after Uncle Tupelo, particularly the album "Trace."

The best album by Whiskeytown is "Faithless Street", but "Pneumonia" is really good. Ryan Adams' solo stuff is also top-notch, it's a bit more singer-songwriter and not quite as country, but it's still really similar. "Heartbreaker" and "Cold Roses" are the best albums imo.
I like whiskeytown. I like Ryan Adams. I like Gold the best. I tried to listen to Uncle Tupelo and I hated it. I was expecting something else, but then I got hit with alt country. Maybe when I'm in a different mood i'll try it.
VIVA like
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

fall: nick cave (all projects), daniel johnston, the national, jesus and the mary chain

winter: fucked up, lost in translation ost (takin' walks in the snow music for real), weezer (pinkerton)

spring: shook ones, goodie mob, my bloody valentine

summer: nobunny, battles, set foot
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
LAxPB
VIOLENCE AGAINST VIOLENCE

Post by LAxPB »

I listen to hardcore year round, but different seasons bring different focuses.

Summer usually consists of more pop punk/pop/rap/fun music

Fall consist of a lot American Football/Smiths/Indie music

Winter brings on lots of Slayer/Christmas Music/heavy Blacklisted rotations

Spring is a mixed bag. Pretty much anything that makes riding my bike more enjoyable
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

righteousxjames wrote:
KYLESTYLE wrote:

Whaaaat? Strangers Almanac is my favorite Whiskeytown for sure. Granted, it has a lot of personal connection for me, got me through some dark times. But "Avenues"! "Inn Town"!! "Turn Around"!!!! Man I could not live without those songs.

Heartbreaker and Cold Roses are my favorite RA records too. Do you know his slew of unreleased albums? Most of which have leaked, and some are so-so, but some are AWESOME. Suicide Handbook, and the Elizabethtown Sessions are really great.

Ryan Adams is by far and away my favorite artist.

I really like Uncle Tupelo too, but Kyle, give them sometime. The first time I heard them I didn't like it much too, but after a couple listens I feel in love.
righteousxjames
VIHC Poster

Strangers Almanac is awesome, but it has tons of songs from Faithless Street, and I like those recordings better, so I haven't gotten as into that album. However, it is probably better than Pneumonia, which I have trouble sitting through the entirety of sometimes (but seriously, "Jacksonville Skyline", what the fuck? that song is incredible).

Anyways, I haven't heard those unreleased Ryan Adams records, I will quit posing and find them!

Yeah Uncle Tupelo definitely grew on me over time, but they one of favorite bands of all time.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

righteousxjames wrote:Strangers Almanac is awesome, but it has tons of songs from Faithless Street, and I like those recordings better, so I haven't gotten as into that album. However, it is probably better than Pneumonia, which I have trouble sitting through the entirety of sometimes (but seriously, "Jacksonville Skyline", what the fuck? that song is incredible).

Anyways, I haven't heard those unreleased Ryan Adams records, I will quit posing and find them!

Yeah Uncle Tupelo definitely grew on me over time, but they one of favorite bands of all time.
Ah the deluxe version. Because originally Faithless St was only very different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_Street

I also really love "Empty Baseball Park" off the deluxe faithless. It's amazing.

Do you have the deluxe strangers alamanc that came out last year? Whiskeytown's cover of Dreams by Fleetwood Mac is worth the price of it alone.
righteousxjames
VIHC Poster

You poser exposed me hahah! I didn't even know about the original release vs. the new. Now I need to jam the original track listing.

And no I haven't heard the deluxe Stranger's Almanac, I will check it.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

When it comes to RA, I could talk about him for a year. It's a borderline obsession.