Recommend blackmetal.

Discuss music. Do not post mediafire/sendspace links at all in this forum.

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

canon.docre
Grey Metal

Re: Recommend blackmetal.

Post by canon.docre »

grind/bro wrote:Eschaton - Causa Fortior. Check that Scott...
This was only ok. The drum production was pretty over the top, though.

Speaking of over the top drum production, Godless North - Summon the Age of Supremacy is up next. I dare any of you to listen to this all the way through.
keep_it_real
BLOCK BY BLOCK

Post by keep_it_real »

there's always the classics.

bathory - blood fire death
mayhem - deathcrush
emperor - in the nightside eclipse

realllllllllyyyyy surprised nobody's mentioned blasphemy. aren't they from your neck of the woods?

there's so many subgenres of black metal i gave up on it eventually.

zach and i used to try and find the grimmest, most bleak black metal. i think xsathur and velvet cacoon = this.
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

keep_it_real wrote:there's always the classics.

bathory - blood fire death
mayhem - deathcrush
emperor - in the nightside eclipse

realllllllllyyyyy surprised nobody's mentioned blasphemy. aren't they from your neck of the woods?

there's so many subgenres of black metal i gave up on it eventually.

zach and i used to try and find the grimmest, most bleak black metal. i think xsathur and velvet cacoon = this.
I don't think nick, or most people, have recommended the above because most people who 'like' blackmetal are already well aware of the above releases. I never listen to Deathcrush though, I don't really care for it very much. I really like everything after, though .. really fucking love De Mysteriis and everything after (minus the live albums and grand declaration.)

xasthur are great! so are velvet cacoon. I have been digging on this sort of stuff lately, especially since its fall. I was listening to the first Krieg the other day, just fucking blasting on a great stereo on vinyl and man does that minimalist stuff really shine if you're in the mood for it. Practically 1-riff songs.

The new Drudkh leaked, Handful of Stars. I am so fucking pleased with it. Great production, almost has an early katatonia/opeth feel to it at times, without any of the wimpy singing. Fucking love it!

For more brutal, straight-blasting blackmetal I have been getting back into the Cadaver Inc - Discipline album. Makes Marduk sound like a nu-metal band.

Also, has anyone listened to Frozen Shadows's second album, Hantises? Fuck that is some crazy, over-the-top speed for blackmetal. From Canada, too! Reminiscent of 1349's first one, Liberation (on drums, at least.) 1349 haven't matched the speed of that first album, not even close. Lots of people don't realize it because they tightened up and got better production on the newer ones, and you can hear the guitar (lol) so their later releases "feel" faster but that first one is un-fuck-withable for speed.
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

also Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse was my first real blackmetal album. Just fucking amazing.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

scott do you like Niden Div. 187???
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

grind/bro wrote:scott do you like Niden Div. 187???
yeah they're great. I bought their cd from lyle's place like, 10 years ago.
righteousxjames
VIHC Poster

Post by righteousxjames »

Weakling - Dead As Dreams
Krallice - S/T
Leviathan - The Tenth Sub-Level of Suicide
Arizmenda - Within The Vacuum of Infinity
Liturgy - Renihilation
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
grind/bro

Post by grind/bro »

i love that Liturgy looks like a bunch of American Apparel models. still an awesome band though
destroy
VIHC Poster

Post by destroy »

From what I know Liturgy was supposedly just started as like an art school project or something. Either way, shit is good and that drumming is mind melting.

Check out Fell Voices from Santa Cruz. More of that green-anarchist dirt worshipping ambient style BM that I love... We were supposed to play a house show with them on tour in '09 but we didn't make it. The new LP is just incredible.
"user destroy has some opinions on bands." - tylerpicklesmith, 2010.
righteousxjames
VIHC Poster

grind/bro wrote:i love that Liturgy looks like a bunch of American Apparel models. still an awesome band though
I think I prefer them looking that way.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

i'd like liturgy more if they werent so up on jebus. that does not go with black-metal
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
grind/bro

Post by grind/bro »

righteousxjames wrote:
grind/bro wrote:i love that Liturgy looks like a bunch of American Apparel models. still an awesome band though
i cant wait to hear some bedroom black metal warrior yammer on about how they are all "faggots" because they care about their appearance...while 99.9% of the Burzum Jr.'s out there corpse paint away in their oh so "mysterious" and certainly not "artsy" promo pics :roll:
grind/bro

Post by grind/bro »

Human-Demise wrote:i'd like liturgy more if they werent so up on jebus. that does not go with black-metal
i dont think they are at all christian. do you have facts to back up your assessment?
righteousxjames
VIHC Poster

grind/bro wrote:
righteousxjames wrote:
i cant wait to hear some bedroom black metal warrior yammer on about how they are all "faggots" because they care about their appearance...while 99.9% of the Burzum Jr.'s out there corpse paint away in their oh so "mysterious" and certainly not "artsy" promo pics :roll:
True. There seems to be a big backlash against "hipster metal", and this backlash usually involves homophobic slurs, but I don't generally get along with metal dudes and their style is generally just as wack, if not more wack.
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

grind/bro wrote:
Human-Demise wrote:i'd like liturgy more if they werent so up on jebus. that does not go with black-metal
i dont think they are at all christian. do you have facts to back up your assessment?
on there myspace their listed as religious/black metal, all the inspirational graphics, the multiple references to emotion and spirit in their music.
so nothing that overtly references christianity, that just the feeling i got, but at the very least some touchy feely newage crap that still doesnt go with black-metal.
plus their name.
grind/bro

Post by grind/bro »

righteousxjames wrote:
grind/bro wrote:
righteousxjames wrote:
True. There seems to be a big backlash against "hipster metal", and this backlash usually involves homophobic slurs, but I don't generally get along with metal dudes and their style is generally just as wack, if not more wack.
It's funny that there are a group of really harsh "metal dudes" who go out and bash on people for however they dress/act/etc. But if you met some more of the guys who are in the more influential bands (and also who have no ego), they seriously don't give a fuck about that kind of thing.
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

grind/bro wrote:
righteousxjames wrote:
grind/bro wrote:
righteousxjames wrote:
It's funny that there are a group of really harsh "metal dudes" who go out and bash on people for however they dress/act/etc. But if you met some more of the guys who are in the more influential bands (and also who have no ego), they seriously don't give a fuck about that kind of thing.
they were just dressing the way they wanted to.
grind/bro

Post by grind/bro »

Human-Demise wrote:
grind/bro wrote:
on there myspace their listed as religious/black metal, all the inspirational graphics, the multiple references to emotion and spirit in their music.
so nothing that overtly references christianity, that just the feeling i got, but at the very least some touchy feely newage crap that still doesnt go with black-metal.
plus their name.
Read their interviews. Not really touchy-feely newage crap, more pretty intelligent well-thought out philosophy. It's okay to not feel sorry for yourself.
Human-Demise

Post by Human-Demise »

grind/bro wrote:
Human-Demise wrote:
grind/bro wrote:
plus their name.
Read their interviews. Not really touchy-feely newage crap, more pretty intelligent well-thought out philosophy. It's okay to not feel sorry for yourself.
hmm, thats a bit better than. it was just the vibe i got from their imagery, but i still dont really like positive spirituality in black-metal. it really goes against what it was striving for.

i have to say from the interview i just read, it all seems pretty good, very well thought out, but i feel like some of the stuff they say is double talk. "like its pure, but its corrupt" thats an oxy moron.

plus his description of their "burst beat" is retarded. "The burst beat is more true to life than the blast beat, more like systems in nature, in two ways. First, the tempo accelerates and decelerates; it expands and contracts, like breathing, or the economy, etc. Secondly, it abruptly crosses thresholds between different modes. Just as water goes from ice to liquid to gas, or a horse goes from walk to trot to canter – the burst beat transitions freely"

but other wise, I'm digging the music, just not the philosophy
grind/bro

Post by grind/bro »

saying it's "pure" but "corrupt" actually might be an example of dualism, Alexis.