Bands you feel like you should like but can't get into

Discuss music. Do not post mediafire/sendspace links at all in this forum.

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Re: Bands you feel like you should like but can't get into

Post by Hollow »

trappedinside wrote:to post an answer of my own:
Cursed (dunno, just find them boring)
Tragedy (the words "melodic" and "crust" should never go together for any reason)
Brutal Truth other than Need to Control (there's just tons of way better early grind, i dunno)
Tom Waits (nothing really against the dude, just have never been able to get into it... i'm sure it'll click one day)
not crazy about The Smiths either but they have a few good songs, used to love Joy Division at one point but can't take them seriously anymore.

DAMMIT BRYAN.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

I don't think the point of this thread is to defend the bands that you like when people say they don't get them. It kind of defeats the purpose when someone says they don't get a band that is over-hyped (sometimes) and then everyone just says "oh but they're so good" and continues to overhype... FEEDBACK CYCLE

I like converge, but I rarely listen to them, and I don't think they're the greatest thing ever, but i appreciate them. I don't get Justin Bieber, but damn is he KEWT!
VIVA like
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

grind/bro wrote:The Smiths
Another of my most favorites. :)
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

trappedinside wrote: used to love Joy Division at one point but can't take them seriously anymore.
Can you explain this? I'm curious, not challenging it.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

KYLESTYLE wrote:I don't think the point of this thread is to defend the bands that you like when people say they don't get them. It kind of defeats the purpose when someone says they don't get a band that is over-hyped (sometimes) and then everyone just says "oh but they're so good" and continues to overhype... FEEDBACK CYCLE

I like converge, but I rarely listen to them, and I don't think they're the greatest thing ever, but i appreciate them. I don't get Justin Bieber, but damn is he KEWT!

Yeah people need to not get all worked up in this.
Sometimes people go into not liking a band as much as they once did no big deal.
or don't like another.

I used to just be oh i like converge. Saw them live got really into them the last few albums i have enjoyed a lot but by no way do i think they are the greatest band on earth.

MUSIC

I can't really add anything on here.
maybe

Earth Crisis (i only really like listening to the All Out War 7)
Integrity (hit and miss for me or maybe i just have to be in the mood)

hard to think of bands.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
trappedinside
Posting while trapped inside an elevator

Post by trappedinside »

Andrew wrote:
trappedinside wrote: used to love Joy Division at one point but can't take them seriously anymore.
Well, times change. When I was in high school and felt all angsty and confused I was really able to connect with them and used to listen to Closer on a regular basis and brood upon my existence. Then eventually it started sounding really sterile and overwrought and I couldn't get into the cheesy 80s production or the melodramatic vocals anymore. Life goes on.

Oh and Nick: I probably owe Extreme Conditions another chance, I had it on tape for the longest time and it's definitely not a bad album but I'm not really that crazy about the riffs on it for some reason... gonna download it and give it another listen right now.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

trappedinside wrote: Oh and Nick: I probably owe Extreme Conditions another chance, I had it on tape for the longest time and it's definitely not a bad album but I'm not really that crazy about the riffs on it for some reason... gonna download it and give it another listen right now.
Dude it's their best. So fucking harsh.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
ian
VIHC Poster

Post by ian »

xJohnnyx wrote:stupid fixied gear riding pretentious assholes.
lol.
im still at a loss for who these pretentious fix gear riding guys are, roaming around victoria making fun of everyone. the only instance i can think of involving fix gears and pretentious assholes was when my friends thomas and jordan came to a troyler show to see my band play and got made fun of for having fixed gears, which actually werent even fixed gears they were just regular 10 speed bikes. REALLY MAKES YOU THINK.

as for bands i cant get into, sonic youth has never clicked for me but im going to listen to a few of their albums tonight and see if they start to. im glad this thread reminded me.
scut farkus

Post by scut farkus »

ian wrote:
lol.
im still at a loss for who these pretentious fix gear riding guys are, roaming around victoria making fun of everyone. the only instance i can think of involving fix gears and pretentious assholes was when my friends thomas and jordan came to a legendary castle show to see my band play and got made fun of for having fixed gears, which actually werent even fixed gears they were just regular 10 speed bikes. REALLY MAKES YOU THINK.

as for bands i cant get into, sonic youth has never clicked for me but im going to listen to a few of their albums tonight and see if they start to. im glad this thread reminded me.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAAAH BWAAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

ian wrote:
lol.
im still at a loss for who these pretentious fix gear riding guys are, roaming around victoria making fun of everyone. the only instance i can think of involving fix gears and pretentious assholes was when my friends thomas and jordan came to a legendary castle show to see my band play and got made fun of for having fixed gears, which actually werent even fixed gears they were just regular 10 speed bikes. REALLY MAKES YOU THINK.

One time Meg, Zach and I were walking by Logans and got yelled at and insulted by the dude who runs Capital City Cycles because Zach and I were wearing patch vests. Another time I almost got ran down by a kid on a fixed gear who obviously didn't know how to ride a bike and then got yelled at for being in the way...on the sidewalk.

Another time, I got into a really good conversation about the Smiths with a dude on a fixed gear. Also, several of my close friends in SF ride fixies.

Basically, people are gonna be dick bags whether they're riding a fixed gear or not.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
ian
VIHC Poster

Post by ian »

Hollow wrote: One time Meg, Zach and I were walking by Logans and got yelled at and insulted by the dude who runs Capital City Cycles because Zach and I were wearing patch vests.
how da heck did jay milligan get a job there??
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

trappedinside wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Well, times change. When I was in high school and felt all angsty and confused I was really able to connect with them and used to listen to Closer on a regular basis and brood upon my existence. Then eventually it started sounding really sterile and overwrought and I couldn't get into the cheesy 80s production or the melodramatic vocals anymore. Life goes on.
I did ask, but I don't get the impression Joy Division is a band you feel like you should like so much as a band you used to like but don't any more. You and I very much disagree on how we see Joy Division. But that's ok. :)
trappedinside
Posting while trapped inside an elevator

Post by trappedinside »

yes you're absolutely correct, the only reason i brought them up is because a bunch of other people were talking about them.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

ian wrote:
Hollow wrote: One time Meg, Zach and I were walking by Logans and got yelled at and insulted by the dude who runs Capital City Cycles because Zach and I were wearing patch vests.
how da heck did jay milligan get a job there??

I dunno. My guess is that the dude was seriously wasted and just kind of being a dick to be a dick. God knows most of us here have done something similar. I've met the guy a few times since and he's been super polite every time. I figure he either was embarrassed and was trying to make up for it or didn't remember but polite was his default. Either way, I ended up letting it go. It's not a big deal in the long run, but I'm not gonna lie I was fucking pissed when it first happened.