Drum talk

Discuss music. Do not post mediafire/sendspace links at all in this forum.

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Dax
VIHC Poster

Drum talk

Post by Dax »

Hey other drummers, I'm on the look for another snare drum. I'm wondering what you use/like/would recommend.
I want something loud but not too pingy. Currently have a 13x7 Pork Pie brass Patina that's not doing it for me.
Andrew
Sea bass

Re: Drum talk

Post by Andrew »

Ryan will probably chime in to this, but both him and Alex in Mouse Ear use Dunnett snares and both sound great.
CodyCreepcore
VIHC Poster

Post by CodyCreepcore »

i'd love something in that same size (13x7) but preferably a pearl maple snare
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

CodyCreepcore wrote:i'd love something in that same size (13x7) but preferably a pearl maple snare
I love the snare you have now.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
Dax
VIHC Poster

Post by Dax »

CodyCreepcore wrote:i'd love something in that same size (13x7) but preferably a pearl maple snare
You can't really go wrong with Pearl. They're snares are generally pretty good.
I was introduced to a company called "TRS". I might be getting the 14x6.5 hand hammered dimension x black nickel/copper snare from them.
1.2mm shell, 4.5mm die cast hoops. They are apparently really loud and that's what I want.

http://trscustomdrums.com/
CodyCreepcore
VIHC Poster

Post by CodyCreepcore »

Human-Demise wrote:
I love the snare you have now.
yeh i got the joey jordison snare. its pretty good. its loud and aggresive sounding but i want that with more low end punch. its a 13 x 6.5 made from steel. i think if it was maple and 7 deep it would have a fatter warmer bottom end but still have the pitch i like.

Alexis i know you love SUPER high pitched snares. get a pearl firecracker. like 10x 5 or something.
CodyCreepcore
VIHC Poster

Post by CodyCreepcore »

Dax wrote:
I was introduced to a company called "TRS". I might be getting the 14x6.5 hand hammered dimension x black nickel/copper snare from them.
1.2mm shell, 4.5mm die cast hoops. They are apparently really loud and that's what I want.

apparently the thicker the shell the louder the drum, but less resonance

also i think that anything with Black Nickel on it is fucking beautiful.
Dax
VIHC Poster

Post by Dax »

CodyCreepcore wrote:
Dax wrote:

apparently the thicker the shell the louder the drum, but less resonance

also i think that anything with Black Nickel on it is fucking beautiful.

Yeah but it various depending on maple/steel/brass and so on. I'm really anxious to hear what it sounds like. One of the drum guys at L&M said he's played one before and they're really loud.
I traded in a 12x5 maple Pork Pie "little squealer" snare a while ago, it's pingy as hell. Pretty sure they still have it there Alexis, you should go check it out.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

if I was a drummer, I'd play an acrylic kit:

as seen here:

man, a band with acrylic drums, my acrylic guitar, and an acrylic bass would be awesome. you could house the head and speakers in acrylic cases! and play with a clear strap. ohhh man.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
kranity
Probably not a spambot

Post by kranity »

kranity
Probably not a spambot

Post by kranity »

Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

tylerp wrote:if I was a drummer, I'd play an acrylic kit:
kranity wrote: yes
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

Andrew wrote:
is this because they look cool, or sound cool? while they sound weird to me, and not necessarily in a bad way, there is no fucking way I would ever pay money for one of these because I have never heard one come even close to sounding as good as the best wood kits I've ever heard. Like high(est) end Pearl shit just sounds godly when tuned/setup (and played!) right.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

canon.docre wrote:
Andrew wrote:
is this because they look cool, or sound cool? while they sound weird to me, and not necessarily in a bad way, there is no fucking way I would ever pay money for one of these because I have never heard one come even close to sounding as good as the best wood kits I've ever heard. Like high(est) end Pearl shit just sounds godly when tuned/setup (and played!) right.
They have a sound of their own, it's a matter of them suiting your preferred drum sound/band sound (or not). It works for Damages because we go for instrument sounds slightly left of typical anyway.The new album and the split song were done with acrylic kits (and Dunnett snare). I think they sound good. And look hella cool.
Dax
VIHC Poster

Post by Dax »

Got this and I love it. 6.5x14 Black Nickel/Copper. 1.2mm shell, 2.3mm hoops. Might switch the hoops for 4.5mm die cast but we'll see, I'm pretty happy with how it sounds so far.
Attachments
trs.png
trs.png (216.82 KiB) Viewed 5937 times