please recommend me some good inie rock

Discuss music. Do not post mediafire/sendspace links at all in this forum.

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Re: please recommend me some good inie rock

Post by dalamar501 »

carlsincharge wrote:thanks for the recommendations everyone. Troy, you wouldn't happen to have the mp3's for The Sepultura, This is Dance Floor Numerology, or These Songs are Cursed by North Of America, would you?
yes i should have some of thoseeeeeee
will upload soem and link in the upload section of the board
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

Sounding a bit the music snob here dude.
I originally posted that initial post just to get people going...I KNOW all indie rock doesn't suck. The more I think aout it though...the more I don't understand it. I guess I'm not wired to like most indie stuff. For the most part it's just young people playing watered down versions of other people's music ... some of it makes decent background music for some quirky quasi-independent, flavor of the week film...or maybe provided a decent soundtrack for sipping lattes in some cafe...but I've only got so many hours in the day to listen to music, and so many dollars to spend on records. I guess I'm just out for blatant kicks...I don't have time to get into the subtleties of most "indie" music. I look to music to put a smile on my face and make me wanna scream, get my blood flowing, get me moving, get me outa bed, clench my fists and make me grit my teeth, etc...there's whimsical, background music everywhere...that's cool...I just don't want that to be the soundtrack to my life. I still think most girls like Indie Rock because it's pretty, moody, sad and happy at the same time, and you can sway to it...some guys like it for some of the same reasons, but most like it cause girls like it. I dunno...I'm always gonna like coffee more than tea, and speed more than weed...life is short, and if somethings not bashing me over the head, then it obviously doesn't want me to take notice enough. I've got nothing against Indie-Rock...I just don't get it. Yes, I DO think my favorite music is better...and I don't understand why everyone else can't see that. I am absolutely insane, and think that if the indie loving masses in Victoria could only see and hear what I do when I spin my fave records/watch my fave bands...that they would finally understand. I KNOW 98% of them never will...but I gotta try...
ian
VIHC Poster

Post by ian »

i dunno man, i think i used to have a similar opinion until i opened my eyes and realized that the 'indie loving masses of victoria' party harder and have crazier shows than pretty much any other victoria scene right now ie. slam dunk show at logans on friday. if anyone else was there im sure they'll understand what im saying.
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

Oh...I know...everyone goes nuts at indie shows here! Yet some of the same people that were going crazy at the indie shows will be at a punk show, and will just hang around talking to their friends. Alot of it is about being part of a scene...having fun and going nuts with your friends. I don't like most of the music, but I will go to some of the indie shows, because people are really into it, and it's nice to see people energetic about music. I dunno if I'd spend money on a Slam Dunk record, but their shows are bound to be a good time....other local "indie" acts shows are a different story. But that's just because that's what the kids in this town are into...in other towns, it's post-punk...or powerpop...or Psych-pop...or R'n'B influenced stuff.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

Oversimplified generalizations like that - "i don't understand indie rock, therefore it's wrong/not music/boring" - just proves your ignorance.
VIVA like
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

My ignorance towards what? It's not like I haven't tried to get what people see in indie-rock. I've listened to all these bands on myspace, went to some shows...and watched people going nuts over stuff that I just can't get behind. There's indie stuff influenced by post-punk, pop, r'n'b, surf, folk, and every other music under the sun...I just find that the indie versions of these types of music, pale in comparison to the real deal. In the 80's and 90's...Indie-rock, was one thing...like most other genres, now it's something entirely different...at least I understood why people liked some of the shit in the 80's or 90's. I dunno...I guess indie is safe and palatable..something non-abrasive that all your friends can get behind. I guess I can't fault kids for wanting a soundtrack to party to with their friends...I don't have friends and I don't like to o to parties. No wonder I don't get it...
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

I think it's the whole "I think my music is better and can't understand why anybody else wouldn't be in to it" that he's taking issue with. I mean, I think the music I like is better than the music I don't like, but I also came to terms long ago with the fact that different people like different things and that most people don't like the music I like.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

you guys he was just voicing his opinion.
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
LAxPB
VIOLENCE AGAINST VIOLENCE

Post by LAxPB »

keith. wrote:ladyhawk is the only indie i can think of i truly enjoy
Kelowna dudes. Fully backed.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

not all "indie rock" is the kind of music you sway to.

often it's just the term that gets used to describe a band using instruments in a different way that doesn't easily fall under existing genre terms. it's become sort of a giant blanket with no specific definition. I mean, people call Death Cab For Cutie an indie rock band and I am not interested in them at all. I like a lot of the stuff that has post-punk leanings (tothehilt/totheteeth), dudes who want to use synthesizers in a raw diy setting, the sassy stuff that seemed to kind of come briefly and isn't really happening now (thunderbirds are now), relatively unstructured stuff, OF COURSE the entire sonic youth catalog, blah blah blah. I just find it hard to believe that someone can dislike all the bands under a very vague blanket term that's pretty much as general as "punk" or "metal" or "classical" or whatever.

I'd also argue that it's not always "safe" and a lot of the indie rock I like is, from my perspective, less palatable than a lot of the power pop sort of stuff you've posted videos to on here.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

grind/bro wrote:you guys he was just voicing his opinion.

Yeah, but they found his opinion offensive, or at least contrary enough to combat. Just because he's stating his opinion doesn't mean he can't expect said opinion to spark response. That's like saying "Hey, it's not my fault the fire started...I was just playing with matches." One is a direct cause of the other. Finally, he stated his opinion as fact, which is always bound to spark a heated response. If he had said "Hey, not a huge fan of indie rock, but that's just me." I doubt anyone would have cared. But what he said was "Indie rock sucks, and you're an idiot for liking it." Now, I'm pretty positive that's not what he meant, but it is what he said so he has to deal with that.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

often it's just the term that gets used to describe a band using instruments in a different way that doesn't easily fall under existing genre terms. it's become sort of a giant blanket with no specific definition. I mean, people call Death Cab For Cutie an indie rock band and I am not interested in them at all. I like a lot of the stuff that has post-punk leanings (tothehilt/totheteeth), dudes who want to use synthesizers in a raw diy setting, the sassy stuff that seemed to kind of come briefly and isn't really happening now (thunderbirds are now), relatively unstructured stuff, OF COURSE the entire sonic youth catalog, blah blah blah. I just find it hard to believe that someone can dislike all the bands under a very vague blanket term that's pretty much as general as "punk" or "metal" or "classical" or whatever.

I'd also argue that it's not always "safe" and a lot of the indie rock I like is, from my perspective, less palatable than a lot of the power pop sort of stuff you've posted videos to on here.
I obviously don't dislike everything that's been labelled indie-rock...what alot of people call indie-rock, I probably call punk-rock or post-punk, etc. Indie _rock is kind of a catch-all term fro stuff that doesn't fit neatly into other genres...it just seems to catch ALOT of crap. In the end, it's all just music...some is good, some isn't. Shit what are some local indie-rock bands, anyway...I need a frame of referrence...