Rocky Votolato Living Room Shows

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Re: Rocky Votolato Living Room Shows

Post by KYLESTYLE »

omg jodi u r so not gettin da forum rulez!!!11!! we gtta h8 everythin if it aint punx!!!11!
VIVA like
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

JODI wrote:I just checked out the website. I guess all this pre-sale ticket stuff also makes it so that only people who buy tickets are disclosed with the address and info. Being living room shows, I guess it just ensures most peoples places don't get crashed. Not everyone has a sweet party house like the Troyler. Haha..
I am admitting to not reading page 2 of this thread, but what is the problem with it being at troyler again? tThey obviously wanted it/agreed to the show, and wouldn't have taken a cut had it been any other band playing their living room. I'm just trying to stay positive. Yay! RV@Troyler! FUN!

My problem is that he's basically running a house show like a venue. The price doesn't bother me, and I have no problem with the dude making money off his art. Hell, I'm going to school to try and make money off my art. It's just that house shows have a certain ethic to them. Those bands that Troy wouldn't take money from only charge $5 at the door, put all their money into their van, put themselves/their lives on the line by touring in (usually) shitty vans, and generally are doing this for love of the music/community. Rocky is obviously trying to make a buck, which is completely fine. I just don't feel using house shows is the appropriate way of doing it. It feels (to me) like a fairly successful artist co-opting punk rock culture in an attempt to appear more independent. This feels like gentrification. Again, I've heard nothing but good things about Rocky on a personal level, but speaking to Troy, speaking to Jenna in Vancouver, I'm definitely not the only one who feels this way. If he had done this in a small venue, or a coffee house, or something to that effect I wouldn't care. But he's not, he's doing it at Troy's house. He's going to be making $600, none of which is going to Troy. Those bands you mentioned earlier? They make, at best, $150-175. AT BEST. Of course Troy wouldn't ask for any money from them. He/Tyler deserve to be paid for putting this show on for Rocky. OR, Rocky should charge less. That's just how it is.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

KYLESTYLE wrote:omg jodi u r so not gettin da forum rulez!!!11!! we gtta h8 everythin if it aint punx!!!11!

This is a fairly simplistic conceptualization of my ethics, bro.

Also, come hang out this weekend.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Hollow wrote:My problem is that he's basically running a house show like a venue. The price doesn't bother me, and I have no problem with the dude making money off his art. Hell, I'm going to school to try and make money off my art. It's just that house shows have a certain ethic to them. Those bands that Troy wouldn't take money from only charge $5 at the door, put all their money into their van, put themselves/their lives on the line by touring in (usually) shitty vans, and generally are doing this for love of the music/community. Rocky is obviously trying to make a buck, which is completely fine. I just don't feel using house shows is the appropriate way of doing it. It feels (to me) like a fairly successful artist co-opting punk rock culture in an attempt to appear more independent. This feels like gentrification. Again, I've heard nothing but good things about Rocky on a personal level, but speaking to Troy, speaking to Jenna in Vancouver, I'm definitely not the only one who feels this way. If he had done this in a small venue, or a coffee house, or something to that effect I wouldn't care. But he's not, he's doing it at Troy's house. He's going to be making $600, none of which is going to Troy. Those bands you mentioned earlier? They make, at best, $150-175. AT BEST. Of course Troy wouldn't ask for any money from them. He/Tyler deserve to be paid for putting this show on for Rocky. OR, Rocky should charge less. That's just how it is.
Well said.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

at the end I'll be like "thanks a lot! what's our cut? 60%?"

and then he'll look confused

then mad

then confused again

then he'll have to leave my house
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

well what are his costs going to be let's see
for victoria show.

$120 or so for Ferry both ways.
$40 in gas from Seattle? no idea i don't drive
$100 hotel room? no idea i don't stay in hotels.
$75 Work Visa since it is done officially and the booking agency probably doesn't do the exemption thing. It might actually?

he will make way more off vancouver show really
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

dalamar501 wrote:well what are his costs going to be let's see
for victoria show.

$120 or so for Ferry both ways.
$40 in gas from Seattle? no idea i don't drive
$100 hotel room? no idea i don't stay in hotels.
$75 Work Visa since it is done officially and the booking agency probably doesn't do the exemption thing. It might actually?

he will make way more off vancouver show really

The money isn't what bothers me. it's the way it's being handled over all. The money is simply part of it. $20 for a ticket to a Rocky V. show in a nice venue makes a lot of sense. House show? Not so much.
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

I had a really really fun time at this. I drank way too much afterwords. Good Saturday!
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

i enjoyed it more than i thought i would
i liked that white daisies song
JODI
VIHC Poster

Post by JODI »

Magical
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

Tambro wrote:I drank way too much afterwords. Good Saturday!
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

It was a good time. Once again everyone that said they would come over early to help clean didn't (don't worry it was none of you this time around)

However Tyler and Becky decided to help clean and we got it all cleaned up. Also by lighting a fire at around 2pm was able to increase the temperature from a low 50 F to 62 F . Then with 35 more people got it closer to 66F! (We normally have it set to 68-70 when we have oil heating)

Great show. Rocky and his wife are so sweet and nice. Everyone seemed to have a great time and i am glad.

Acoustic shows are way less hassle. There are going to be more was planning on having an Aidan Knight show here eventually
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

this is just a nice guy with a dedicated mailing list following who are willing to pay $20 to see one of their favourite musicians. and that's why/how he manages to support himself a bit on his music. and I don't think we needed or deserved a cut since it was really easy to clean up beforehand and the only mess left afterward was from friends of ours and not the paying randoms. he seemed pretty cool with the fact that lots of you guys just came for free (or a trapped under ice jersey). wish we could have hung out with him afterward but he wanted some time with his wife in our nice city.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

How did the non-regulars to the Troyler take to the show? Was it obvious that the house show was a novelty to some of the audience?
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

i thought that show was wonderful. also, i really liked the new songs he played at first.

troy, thanks again for listing me!

tyler, thanks for being an idiot about my history with unnamed girl.
VIVA like
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

her name is jenna and I just like making things awkward, it's what I do
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

Andrew wrote:How did the non-regulars to the Troyler take to the show? Was it obvious that the house show was a novelty to some of the audience?
it seemed kind of like it. They all saw our old rules from previous house shows (we generally leave them up...for months at a time)
Victoria Straight Edge
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

This show was fantastic, I plan on reviewing it. However, in that review I'm gonna talk about some of the problems I had with the way it was booked.

Still, amazing performance. I'm definitely a fan now.
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

I had a good time. The Seattle chixxx = :P :twisted: ;)
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

KYLESTYLE wrote:tyler, thanks for being an idiot about my history with unnamed girl.
tylerp wrote:her name is jenna

Wait...WHAT?