Fucked Up

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Peter
VIHC Poster

Re: Fucked Up

Post by Peter »

dalamar501 wrote:
wolfgang wrote:When bands get to a certain level..it isn't personal anymore. When they "have" to hire someone to book the shows for them...they've pretty much said that they don't care where, when or who they play with...as long as they make X amount of dollars per show. I dunno...if as band doesn't care about where or who they play with...the obviously don't care about the quality of the shows they are playing...and I have a really hard time caring about them. I've booked alot of abnd over the past 15 years...but I won't book a show for someone who has a booking agency working for them. If I can't talk to a member of the band about the show...they can go through someone else. As far as local promoters, etc...and Atomique. I've never seen Atomique put on a show I'd pay to see...don't they insist on selling your merch and taking 15% of sales? And Every local band I know members of who's opened one of their bigger shows..hasn't made any money. Sounds like the opposite of something I'd wanna be dealing with...
It is Sugar night club that takes 15% of your merch sales. Which is another reason why Sugar sucks.
Yea thats sugar's policy, not atomique. having played a show recently with atomique at lucky bar where my band sold a lot of merch, we kept it all. Also, I've never heard of them not paying an opening band. while it may not be much, it's still something.

And I think the argument on how "bad" booking agencies--i dont really get it. When a band reaches a certain level of popularity, with tons of offers coming in all the time, it would be a NIGHTMARE to sort through them all. I know dealing with an agent (from experience) can be a pain in the ass, but they're just trying to make sure the band doesn't get screwed.

I realize it's important to be true to your art and not sell out to the man and all that, but eventually you gotta pay the bills (or support a family...) and I see nothing wrong with trying to make as much money from doing something you love as you can. If there's a bus driver who loves driving buses but goes on strike because he needs more money to support his family, no one calls him a sell out, but if he plays music and needs to make more money he is? That makes no sense to me.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

wolfgang wrote:When bands get to a certain level..it isn't personal anymore. When they "have" to hire someone to book the shows for them...they've pretty much said that they don't care where, when or who they play with...as long as they make X amount of dollars per show. I dunno...if as band doesn't care about where or who they play with...the obviously don't care about the quality of the shows they are playing...and I have a really hard time caring about them. I've booked alot of abnd over the past 15 years...but I won't book a show for someone who has a booking agency working for them. If I can't talk to a member of the band about the show...they can go through someone else. As far as local promoters, etc...and Aomique. I've never seen Atomique put on a show I'd pay to see...don't they insist on selling your merch and taking 15% of sales? And Every local band I know members of who's opened one of their bigger shows..hasn't made any money. Sounds like the opposite of something I'd wanna be dealing with...
FU has never been a band about personal relationship. A lot of what they do is designed to alienate their fan base, and always has been, and they're awesome at it. Since day one the goal was pretty much to start a band, get as huge as possible, make people angry and uncomfortable, and take over the world. It really shouldn't surprise anybody that the band who wrote Baiting The Public gets off annoying punks, which is partially why I love them so much. They out punked punk.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

KYLESTYLE wrote:Really? It's still about selling out? I used to think that in high school, but is it about the music then, or how d.i.y. underground the band is?

Seriously. This+what Zach said=spot on. Fuck. Wolfgang, let it go. The concept of "selling out" is so limited to a specific concept that it can only really be applied to a handful of bands at best. As long as a band changes in an organic, natural way I'm not gonna give a fuck if they become mainstream. I'll still judge them based on their music. AFI would be a great example of a band that went mainstream but who I have no problem with. I don't like their music now, but that's a completely personal opinion. I think they were legit with how they went "big". Against Me! is honestly the only band I can think of that "sold out". And I mean, EVER. There are possibly more, but I legitimately can't think of them.

To answer your earlier question Kyle, I think Troy's use of the word "Annoyed" is better. Now that I think about it, "insulted" is too strong language. It comes down to pride for me. I'll straight up admit that. I think we have one of the most awesome scenes in Western Canada, and I want it to remain ours. When someone goes around EVERYONE in town simply to get a show here, it irks me. I feel slighted as a promoter, and condescended to as a fan. I'm stoked as fuck that they're coming, but I just wish it had been with someone in town that's all. This is NOT gonna stop me from going.

Pre-drinks at your house?
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

im usually down on bar shows but for once it will give everyone a break from having to worry about venue deposits or keeping kids under control

we can all hang out before hand or even leave early if were bored and without it being anyone's responsibility, its a refreshing change for everyone
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

Who started talking about "selling out"?I think we can all understand why FU use a booking agent, and why that booking agent would want to go through promoters that can book multiple shows for them. Imagine being in a band that plays 100+ shows a year in 8 different countries...I'm not saying this is Fucked Up's situation, but if it were, it's easy to see how things would get overwhelming, trying to book a show in Saskatoon for May while you're on tour in Germany in January. I don't fault anyone for using a booking agent, I just won't deal with 95% of bands who use one. I'd be really surprised if Fucked Up agreed tp play a side show in Victoria, at this point...who's trying to make this happen? If they did agree to play another show, would you guys still go support them at Sugar?
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

Hollow wrote:

Against Me! is honestly the only band I can think of that "sold out". And I mean, EVER. There are possibly more, but I legitimately can't think of them.
I know so many people that say this. I know they have, but I also don't think they have. I feel like they've (Tom, more so than other members) just played so long that they don't care anymore and will take the big money to write new, more interesting for them, music. I guess that is selling out, but I respect it. Also, I like the newer albums, if for anything as if they had a side project that went big. I kind of consider them a different band now, but I still love it. I don't know if this makes sense... I think after watching their DVD (We're Never Going Home) from 2004, I respect what they do because they just enjoy fucking around with major labels.
Hollow wrote:
To answer your earlier question Kyle, I think Troy's use of the word "Annoyed" is better. Now that I think about it, "insulted" is too strong language. It comes down to pride for me. I'll straight up admit that. I think we have one of the most awesome scenes in Western Canada, and I want it to remain ours. When someone goes around EVERYONE in town simply to get a show here, it irks me. I feel slighted as a promoter, and condescended to as a fan. I'm stoked as fuck that they're coming, but I just wish it had been with someone in town that's all. This is NOT gonna stop me from going.
I can respect that. Also, I wasn't trying to be a dick, I honestly didn't understand.
Hollow wrote: Pre-drinks at your house?
HELL YES
VIVA like
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

KYLESTYLE wrote:
Hollow wrote:

Against Me! is honestly the only band I can think of that "sold out". And I mean, EVER. There are possibly more, but I legitimately can't think of them.
I know so many people that say this. I know they have, but I also don't think they have. I feel like they've (Tom, more so than other members) just played so long that they don't care anymore and will take the big money to write new, more interesting for them, music. I guess that is selling out, but I respect it. Also, I like the newer albums, if for anything as if they had a side project that went big. I kind of consider them a different band now, but I still love it. I don't know if this makes sense... I think after watching their DVD (We're Never Going Home) from 2004, I respect what they do because they just enjoy fucking around with major labels.
If they hadn't written songs about never ever ever joining a major label, and how bands that join major labels are "sell outs" and how major labels are the most evil things ever and blah blah blah I'd totally agree with you. But they did. And they built an entire fan base around that. And then the minute they were offered a check, they chucked their politics. Again, if they had never written those songs I probably wouldn't give a fuck that they're touring with Billy Talent. But they are. And they did. Seriously, they're the most straightforward case of selling out I've ever seen. They ditched their politics for money so fast it was almost breathtaking.
KYLESTYLE wrote:
Hollow wrote:
I can respect that. Also, I wasn't trying to be a dick, I honestly didn't understand.
I totally got that and wasn't pissed in the slightest. I was more frustrated with myself because I couldn't clearly elucidate why having an out of town promoter annoyed me so much.
KYLESTYLE wrote:
Hollow wrote:
Pre-drinks at your house?
HELL YES

SWEEET.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

I have a hard time talking about against me without getting angry. All i can really say about them is that people change, but lyrics stay the same.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:I have a hard time talking about against me without getting angry. All i can really say about them is that people change, but lyrics stay the same.

This times one million. Dude, seriously get that tattoo.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

I'm thinking about it. Right now it's mostly dependent on figuring out a colour scheme I like for it.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Fuck it, let the artist figure that shit out. Trust me, they know better than you what works. And seriously no offense meant by this, but as someone who knows you really, really well...let an actual artist figure that shit out for you.

But seriously, get that tattoo.
aidan
VIHC Poster

Post by aidan »

Yeah! Stage dives! I'm probably going to have to duck into the crowd afterwards so that Mr. Bald Bouncer 1, 2, and Blonde Tips can't throw me out. S4P.

Edit: I'm really excited! Sorry for ragging on all the bouncers, but there's a real "No Fun" policy that seems to be at Sugar.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

aidan wrote:Yeah! Stage dives! I'm probably going to have to duck into the crowd afterwards so that Mr. Bald Bouncer 1, 2, and Blonde Tips can't throw me out. S4P.

Edit: I'm really excited! Sorry for ragging on all the bouncers, but there's a real "No Fun" policy that seems to be at Sugar.

I was at the Whiskey A Go-Go once. A certain gentleman who shall remain nameless (Hint: his initials are Scott Vogel) destroyed their "no-fun" policy. A night to remember, indeed.
aidan
VIHC Poster

Post by aidan »

Just started jamming on this: http://www.myspace.com/themillenialreign

Thought you might be into it, Willa. Really apocalyptic jams with Damian from Fucked Up on the vox. Pretty rad.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

aidan wrote:Just started jamming on this: http://www.myspace.com/themillenialreign

Thought you might be into it, Willa. Really apocalyptic jams with Damian from Fucked Up on the vox. Pretty rad.
I've been telling him to check out millenial reign as long as I've known him. Band rules hard. It's too bad they don't really play shows.
aidan
VIHC Poster

Post by aidan »

ZACH ATTACK wrote: I've been telling him to check out millenial reign as long as I've known him. Band rules hard. It's too bad they don't really play shows.
It's good, definitely getting more and more into it. While it's stylistically much, much different than Fucked Up.. It's definitely a Pink Eyes jam. Willa, listen to Zach. He knows your body.
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

so whos going?
i think this is on wednesday?

im kinda thinking i should have got a ticket for it. or are we just winging it?
lets get together before the showwww brooo
trappedinside
Posting while trapped inside an elevator

Post by trappedinside »

i have wednesdays off and i think tyler asskiss is going so even though i don't really like fucked up i may very well be there
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

I bought a ticket
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

i just realized im still waiting on my new ID to come in the mail.
as much as id like it to happen i dont think its gonna come by wednesday :s

fuck