Regarding Rifflandia

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Regarding Rifflandia

Post by KYLESTYLE »

Though I think they have removed this status update now, someone screen shotted it for us to laugh at. Rifflandia is a piece of shit; I support not carrying those shitty flyers - though maybe it does hurt business. I thought this was a good place to post it, since doesn't the owner post on here sometimes? I feel like this hype will have the reverse effect that Rifflandia wanted - those that dislike rifflandia will flock towards Talk's Cheap.
hopefully that photo works from tumblr.

VIVA like
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Re: Regarding Rifflandia

Post by Tambro »

Big LOLS @ Rifflandia. Totally unprofessional.

Keep upping the punx, Tiemen! (I'm almost positive I spelled your name wrong, feel free to call me Rambo now... It's only fair =\)
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

one thing I really really like about tiemen is that he sticks to his guns.

this makes me dislike the festival even more. this update of theirs screams of self-righteousness. as if businesses are lucky to carry their waste-of-printing-money full-colour catalog. so they requested that talk's cheap carry it and talk's cheap said no, right? does that seriously justify a facebook status update ala a 14-year-old's temper tantrum.

I have a few things I really dislike about rifflandia. for all their advertising/whoring, they were unwilling to give CFUV any volunteer comp/media tickets. this is unheard of in the festival world. this means that they're not only being choosy about their press involvement, they're actively preferring the commercial mainstream route. cool "indie" festival, guys.

what else? oh right. I heard that some bands have to agree to not play on the island within a 3 month timespan.

and of course the wristband situation being ridiculous. not allowing individual show entry. and all the problems with the past, shows filling up, etc. and all the "good" shows happening at this same time.

these rifflandia fanboys are hilarious and even worse.

good on you, tiemen.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

What a laugh
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

What is Rifflandia?
darcy
VIHC Poster

Post by darcy »

This just affirms how I felt about the festival before, but now I'm not as much of a douche for it.
I feel this should be cross-post on Facebooks, LJs, and Livevic.
Are you afraid of milk?
Should I hide the milk?

http://tinyurl.com/8rgq73e
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Tiemen's a solid dude, backed hard. Even more reason to support Talk's Cheap now. Hopefully he hosts some freelandia events at the store.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

Andrew: Rifflandia is a festival put on yearly by Atomique productions (I think, anyone wanna confirm/deny that for me?) one of the larger festivals in town. They've done a pretty half-assed job the past two years running, and this most recent little event is more proof of that.

This seriously pisses me off. As a few (smart) people in those comments said, totally unprofessional, and Talks Cheap deserves an apology. I think I'm gonna do my best to make sure as many people know about this as humanly possible. I may not do much, but I gotta try.
Last edited by Hollow on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

I'm making a point of going to the store to personally congratulate Tiemen on bruising their ego.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Is this festival mostly local bands? Does it cater to the punk rock or hardcore community?

Why was it bad the last two years?
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Andrew wrote:Is this festival mostly local bands? Does it cater to the punk rock or hardcore community?

Why was it bad the last two years?

It does not, in fact, cater to the punk rock community at all. They have DOA on the bill this year, and the first year Mexican Power Authority played. That's the closest they've come to having any punk. And it was bad both years because they have a huge amount of acts on the bill, you HAVE to buy a $65 wristband as there are no single tickets sold for individual shows, they put all the "big" acts on the same night/at the same time resulting in massive lineups for venues that can't handle the amount of people there. Which means a lot of people end up paying $65 to stand in line all night to see Crystal Castles but never get in. Now this. Local's play, but are definitely not the attraction.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Yeesh. What are some known bands that played other years? $65 is a lot to pay for any festival to me.

If there's no real connect to punk and hc then what does it matter if their flyer is in Talk's Cheap? And even if there was a connect to punk and hc, at $65 a head, that's astronomical to pay for what'd likely be one small slice of the fest's overall sound. I can't see punk rock and a $65 ticket price holding hands.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Andrew wrote:Yeesh. What are some known bands that played other years? $65 is a lot to pay for any festival to me.

If there's no real connect to punk and hc then what does it matter if their flyer is in Talk's Cheap? And even if there was a connect to punk and hc, at $65 a head, that's astronomical to pay for what'd likely be one small slice of the fest's overall sound. I can't see punk rock and a $65 ticket price holding hands.
Black Mountain played the first year, I know that. Brother Ali too. Uh...Aesop Rock is playing this year. That's all off the top of my head. Should be pretty easy to figure out who played doing a bit of sleuthing.

And yeah, you pretty much nailed it. It has nothing to do with us, so why would we do anything for them? It's ridiculous.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

As someone who as on many occasions defended the festival, and Atomique, I'll be the first one to say that this was a really fucking low thing to do. I'm not even sure what they were trying to accomplish other than get a bunch of people to think "Man, Talk's Cheap...those guys are assholes!"

I can understand why Rifflandia would want the mags in Talk's Cheap. Why wouldn't they? It's a record store where people go and talk music. There are a couple bands playing that the average Talk's Cheap may like. And, I can understand Talk's Cheap not being into it. So they said no. And then that should have been the end of it. Who really cares that they didn't want the mag in their store? No one should... it's in 100 other places.

So yes, who ever runs the Facebook page absolutely was out of line, and just all around made a really, really dumb decision. And I do agree Atomique should apologize for it.

One thing I really find frustrating though is the direct like sentiment the festival gets from a lot of people. I just don't really understand it...

I realize my opinions are usually hated here anyways so I'll just play devils advocate for a bit. And full disclosure, maybe I'm biased because I'm playing, but I didn't play the last two years and had a great time.

First off in reference to what Tyler said about CFUV: Rifflandia isn't doing any media passes this year, as they this year are trying having their own crew, and dealing with that. Is CFUV not receiving any general passes at all? Maybe it's trite, but if CFUV is getting so screwed... then why are they letting it happen? CFUV could simply say "No" to advertising, to giving Rifflandia air time, couldn't it?

To what Willa and Tyler said about the line-ups. The first year, the major line-up/couldn't get in problem was at Logan's with Bison. I'm 99% sure as I've heard it from a lot of different people, Bison actually ASKED to play at Logan's as it's something they'd wanted to do for awhile, and considering they had sold out Sugar not too long ago with Black Mountain, it's no surprise it filled up super fast and people couldn't get in. But if Bison were the one's who got Bison Logan's to play why are you mad at the festival? Also, last year, the problem with line-ups was BECAUSE the big bands DIDN'T play at the same time. The biggest problem came when every single person who had just seen Tegan and Sara at Alix Gooldin Hall all tried to get into an already full Market Square to see Mother Mother. I think the idea of being able to see EVERY big band and not having an issue with it, just isn't a reasonable thing to think. I don't think everyone expects this at SXSW, a festival that runs on a rather similar basis. This year I think they've done a much better job of making the big headliners play at the same time to (hopefully) prevent big line-ups like last year. Also I think now because more big bands are playing at the same time, there's more options for someone to go to if they CAN'T get into a certain show. Which is a good thing for sure.

Individual show passes: I think the big reason they don't do this, is how can you tell people who bought a bracelet they can't get into a show because it is too full because of single show passes? I think it's the capacity thing that prevents them from doing this, as I imagine it would create more problems than solve.

Also, not to shit on you Kyle, but if Rifflandia is such a piece of shit, maybe you shouldn't be playing it? But I'm looking forward to your set, anyways!!

Also, I think it's worth remembering Rifflandia is still a baby! Fuck, this is only it's third year. Yes there's been some wrinkles, and probably there will be this year too. SXSW is over 20 years old! It takes time to get it down to a science...

I totally understand if this festival, be it the way it's laid out (Maybe you'd prefer a big giant stage festival like Sasquatch or something..?), or the type of bands it garners (Yup, last year and this year are more on the mainstream side of things, as opposed to the first year which was a bit more "cool" but they lost A LOT of money) is not your thing. But to constantly shit on it and say it's the worst thing ever and blah blah blah I find just really negative for no reason. Sure, It may not be for you, but how many people who are into Rifflandia say "Hardcorefest is a fucking piece of shit!" No one I've ever heard of. (except maybe that crazy punk girl that got kicked out because she was "moshing" weird)
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Peter wrote:I realize my opinions are usually hated here anyways
I've never noticed people hating on what you say here Peter. I don't think Rifflandia is right for me based on content and operating model, but your points are well said. Food for thought.

What band do you play in/where are you playing during Rifflandia?
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

I play in Forestry. We're playing the Metro Theatre with Lee Renaldo tomorrow. Prettttttttttty excited and slightly embarassed, because when I discovered sonic youth a couple years ago, just watching Renaldo and Moore play guitar I was like "Oh. Shit. I want to do that." So I'm super inspired (see: rip him off) by him a lot, so I'm going to feel kind of douchey, haha.

I maybe shouldn't have said Hated, more so, "against the grain"?
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

i like on this festival because it doesnt cater to me whatsoever. ive gone the last 2 years so ive seen how its been so far. the first year was great, i saw a lot of bands and a few ive never heard before but last years was a gong show. i got a ticket for free so i lucked out and got to see the ONE band i did wanna see (bogus tokus... from vancouver) because again they wouldnt sell individual tickets, i would have had to pay 70 bucks to see a vancouver band. anyways yea, the lineup this year makes me just roll my eyes because its no one i find interesting or even that big really it just seems like a bunch of locals slapped together over a handful of out of towners

Peter wrote: I maybe shouldn't have said Hated, more so, "against the grain"?
we need that though peej, dont even sweat it. its good.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Peter wrote:. (except maybe that crazy punk girl that got kicked out because she was "moshing" weird)
She ended up having a great time and apologized for being too drunk and causing trouble. She's more than welcome at any VIHC event!
Last edited by ZACH ATTACK on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:[quote="Peter". (except maybe that crazy punk girl that got kicked out because she was "moshing" weird)
She ended up having a great time and apologized for being too drunk and causing trouble. She's more than welcome at any VIHC event![/quote]

Oh good! I just saw her leaving and fingering the room. Haha.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Peter wrote: I just saw her leaving and fingering the room. Haha.
But it was done with love.