USB vinyl converter is funky...

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

USB vinyl converter is funky...

Post by stumped. »

hey does anyone else use a laptop to convert vinyl into audio files? if so, do yours turn out sounding super shitty? has anyone come up with a solution?
i think it has something to do with my laptop's speakers being mono but i can't be sure
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Re: USB vinyl converter is funky...

Post by stumped. »

i use an ION record player/converter
xJohnnyx
VIHC Poster

Post by xJohnnyx »

Your speakers shouldn't effect audio files themselves. Have you tried playing the same files on a different device? I use an ION turntable and the software I use is Audacity, I have no problems, I don't really notice any significant reduction in sound quality. Basically what you are doing is using your computer to record a new recording of your record being played, so some loss in quality is inevitable. What may be happening is, your input volume is really high and causing distortion. It's just like recording an instrument, if the volume is to high then it starts to sound distorted.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to like, It takes strength to be gentle and kind .
Crucified
"It's what's for dinner"

Post by Crucified »

xJohnnyx wrote:What may be happening is, your input volume is really high and causing distortion. It's just like recording an instrument, if the volume is to high then it starts to sound distorted.

this, listen to it on regular speakers, not 1/2 inch laptop speakers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tambro wrote:Forget girls, play video games.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

i lost the disc and i'm not clear as to how to use audacity to rip the vinyl... is there something i have to go through the preferences and change?
is there a way to decrease the input volume on the ion program?
xJohnnyx
VIHC Poster

Post by xJohnnyx »

There probably is, but I have never used the Ion program... what about Audacity are you unsure of?
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to like, It takes strength to be gentle and kind .
evan
VIHC Poster

Post by evan »

Upload one of the files.
I'm moving to Vic in September. PM me if you're looking for a room mate.
xJohnnyx
VIHC Poster

Post by xJohnnyx »

Haha I am looking through the manual for the EZ Vinyl Converter software that came with mine. I couldn't find anything that helps. If you don't have the disc anymore you can download Audacity at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. It's probably more complicated than the ION software but you can save your files in WAV format, which will sound better than MP3.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

the normal way for ripping vinyl:
-run a 2xRCA-to-stereo-1/8" cable from the turntable RCA out (if it has a built in preamp) or your stereo's RCA out (ideally with all effects off), plug the stereo 1/8" into your laptop's line input, select "line" as the recording source, set the levels accordingly, hit Record in Audacity, crop the audio, convert to mp3 or FLAC

I would assume that a USB turntable can be one of the recording sources though in the device selector in Audacity. I have heard they're notorious for poor rips but I post on another forum of record nerds who care way too much.
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
shakehurst
VIHC Poster

Post by shakehurst »

tylerp wrote:the normal way for ripping vinyl:
-run a 2xRCA-to-stereo-1/8" cable from the turntable RCA out (if it has a built in preamp) or your stereo's RCA out (ideally with all effects off), plug the stereo 1/8" into your laptop's line input, select "line" as the recording source, set the levels accordingly, hit Record in Audacity, crop the audio, convert to mp3 or FLAC

I would assume that a USB turntable can be one of the recording sources though in the device selector in Audacity. I have heard they're notorious for poor rips but I post on another forum of record nerds who care way too much.
they provide pretty terrible rips. and Audacity doesn't record in true 24bit in Windows, which is fine if you're not doing any post-processing (click removal/noise reduction) as recording at 16bit will be fine.