Wanna be in a band?

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Re: Wanna be in a band?

Post by Hollow »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:
Jordan f. wrote:honestly I can see both sides of this argument. VH was pretty much saying "hardcore is a joke", at the same time I found the joke funny...

Hardcore should be about something. I know Zach, Willa and the other dudes who liked VH will agree with me on this. Truth be told, Vic Hardcore is just to laid back. I thought the band was funny. A wise man once said something along the lines of "I love music that is talking shit about me"-Lord Puffin.

I hope this next band is actually serious and writes intelligent lyrics.

Also, Devlan is a dogg. Had Heart reunion?
Did I say that? Not sure. Maybe sounds like me.
I definatly like "joke" hardcore as they call it bands like casey jones or good clean fun. What sucks even more is when kids who arent even into hardcore make their funny joke hardcore bands. I never saw VH and dont really know any of its members so dont take that comment personally you coulda wrote the next age of querral for all I know, but the name of your band suggests otherwise and you know how we all judge books. Victorias reputation for laid back hardcore is the main reason Im all over the nuts of Promises. Holy fuck a hardcore band that takes this medium seriously. A band that would make me want a shirt that said Victoria Hardcore.

Whos gonna beat Zach to tearing this post apart?

Hardcore should always be fun. Always. Now, can we balance that with forward thinking, intelligent bands/lyrics? Absolutely. Does that mean that they can't be fun/have fun? No. Does that mean that a band can't just be all about having fun? I may be remembering wrong here, Pat, but I seem to remember you sporting a few Terror shirts, and if you even TRY and convince me that that band has a message besides "stage dives and high fives" the next time I see you I will point, laugh, and continue to do so for at least fifteen minutes.

Besides that, I've always been in bands that are serious about the music we make, and a message we deliver. That message can be delivered via good times, however. And just because we have a message does not mean other bands MUST have a message.

Vegan Holocaust was fun. They played a handful of shows, did a Bad Brains cover, released a hilarious demo, and several members (Devlan most prominent among them) remain solid members of our community. How is that a bad thing? Why must Hardcore be defined by a judgmental, cliquish attitude? Who's next after the good time kids are booted out? Me? I don't wear a crew cut, I think that a vast majority of double kick/moshtastic hardcore is ridiculous, I wear all black and listen to crusty, distorted bands. The message my band has is far different from the message most hardcore bands put out. Promises most definitely does not conform to my lyrical content. I love Promises, however, and continue to (and will always) support that band and those people.

Hardcore is a constantly evolving, every changing genre that has the good fortune of being able to continuously represent its roots. Why should we give that up in favor of a closed off attitude that NEVER EVER works, and only kills communities?

Jordan/Hunter, you're better than this. There is always room for any kind of band in Hardcore, and saying "X band isn't good enough" is stupid, childish, and generally bigoted.

Pat, you're better than this too, but I'm giving you a pass because you weren't involved in the scene at the time, so couldn't really understand my complete bafflement at the turn around I'm witnessing here. Also, the points you raised vis a vis Casey Jones and Good Clean Fun are well raised. My response to that would be to simply state that some bands, no matter what their intentions, are shitty because of the people involved in them. I can point to a shitload of bands that had a "message" that fit that same mold.

Stop generalizing. Stop acting like you're better than the person next to you. You're not.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Mikey
VIHC Poster

Post by Mikey »

waitwaitwait. you're saying hardcore isn't always stage dives and high fives? man...what i've been living a lie.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Mikey wrote:waitwaitwait. you're saying hardcore isn't always stage dives and high fives? man...what i've been living a lie.

hahaha No, I'm saying it CAN be all about that for you, or it can be about a message and improving yourself. I'm saying that there's no one definition or concept of Hardcore that's correct, and stating that there is makes you look close minded and silly.

Also, no of course I don't support racist/misogynist/whatever types of bands existing in Hardcore. The concepts I spoke about in my previous post are ALSO not universal, and exceptions to these ideas will always exist. What I'm calling for is a subjective conceptualization of Hardcore, one that recognizes the differences in peoples backgrounds, ideas, and beliefs, and does not judge them based on those differences but based on their actions and the way they carry themselves. I saw Peter and Devlan and a lot of shows that VH weren't playing. There are people who post on this board, who we welcome with open arms (both them and their bands) who never come to shows unless their bands are playing, who contribute nothing besides a demo here or there.

The entire argument used against VH is ridiculous for no other reason than it's completely hypocritical.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
ian
VIHC Poster

Post by ian »

please name the first cd "another mockery of ethics that some people truly give a fuck about"
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

dalamar501 wrote:just to clarify hunter never wrote the lyrics for Vile Style.
and after the first few shows he hated being in that band more and more.

that last show they did at the fest he was fuckin pissed to be doing it hah
Maybe I'm mistaken here, but I don't think that anybody forced him to be in Vile Style. I'm also pretty sure he make his own excuses. Not to be a dick, I just like it when people speak for make excuses for other people.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Jordan f. wrote:Vile Style and Vegan Holocaust were two different things.
How so? Because you were in Vile Style and not Vegan Holocaust? I really don't get where you're going with this.
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

Hollow wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:
Jordan f. wrote:honestly I can see both sides of this argument. VH was pretty much saying "hardcore is a joke", at the same time I found the joke funny...

Hardcore should be about something. I know Zach, Willa and the other dudes who liked VH will agree with me on this. Truth be told, Vic Hardcore is just to laid back. I thought the band was funny. A wise man once said something along the lines of "I love music that is talking shit about me"-Lord Puffin.

I definatly like "joke" hardcore as they call it bands like casey jones or good clean fun. What sucks even more is when kids who arent even into hardcore make their funny joke hardcore bands. I never saw VH and dont really know any of its members so dont take that comment personally you coulda wrote the next age of querral for all I know, but the name of your band suggests otherwise and you know how we all judge books. Victorias reputation for laid back hardcore is the main reason Im all over the nuts of Promises. Holy fuck a hardcore band that takes this medium seriously. A band that would make me want a shirt that said Victoria Hardcore.

Hardcore should always be fun. Always. Now, can we balance that with forward thinking, intelligent bands/lyrics? Absolutely. Does that mean that they can't be fun/have fun? No. Does that mean that a band can't just be all about having fun? I may be remembering wrong here, Pat, but I seem to remember you sporting a few Terror shirts, and if you even TRY and convince me that that band has a message besides "stage dives and high fives" the next time I see you I will point, laugh, and continue to do so for at least fifteen minutes.

Besides that, I've always been in bands that are serious about the music we make, and a message we deliver. That message can be delivered via good times, however. And just because we have a message does not mean other bands MUST have a message.

Vegan Holocaust was fun. They played a handful of shows, did a Bad Brains cover, released a hilarious demo, and several members (Devlan most prominent among them) remain solid members of our community. How is that a bad thing? Why must Hardcore be defined by a judgmental, cliquish attitude? Who's next after the good time kids are booted out? Me? I don't wear a crew cut, I think that a vast majority of double kick/moshtastic hardcore is ridiculous, I wear all black and listen to crusty, distorted bands. The message my band has is far different from the message most hardcore bands put out. Promises most definitely does not conform to my lyrical content. I love Promises, however, and continue to (and will always) support that band and those people.

Hardcore is a constantly evolving, every changing genre that has the good fortune of being able to continuously represent its roots. Why should we give that up in favor of a closed off attitude that NEVER EVER works, and only kills communities?

Jordan/Hunter, you're better than this. There is always room for any kind of band in Hardcore, and saying "X band isn't good enough" is stupid, childish, and generally bigoted.

Pat, you're better than this too, but I'm giving you a pass because you weren't involved in the scene at the time, so couldn't really understand my complete bafflement at the turn around I'm witnessing here. Also, the points you raised vis a vis Casey Jones and Good Clean Fun are well raised. My response to that would be to simply state that some bands, no matter what their intentions, are shitty because of the people involved in them. I can point to a shitload of bands that had a "message" that fit that same mold.

Stop generalizing. Stop acting like you're better than the person next to you. You're not.
Man I gotta come on here and defend terror...fuck

K here we go there's a difference between fun and being a straight up joke.
ian
VIHC Poster

Post by ian »

i dig jokes.
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

how was it a straight up joke exactly? did you even see them? do you know what the lyrics are about? was it not breakdowny enough?

im so lost on this

this thread needs more fun
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:
Hollow wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:

Man I gotta come on here and defend terror...fuck

K here we go there's a difference between fun and being a straight up joke.

Really? If that's the case, VH fit in perfectly because they were always just for fun, not a joke. They had fun songs, had a fun time, supported hardcore in VIctoria, and never forced anyone to come to their shows or listen to their band.

I gotta ask though, how many VH shows did you go see? Pat, I love ya buddy, but you're seriously arguing from a position of ignorance.

And I wasn't attacking Terror, its always a good time when I see them, I'm just pointing out that hardcore has always had bands that weren't about positive messages or moving things forward (COUGHINTEGRITYCOUGH). How are they any better than a band that plays semi-ludicrous songs? Why must we take ourselves so fucking seriously? No offense, dude, but that's kind of what killed Vancouver Hardcore isn't it? An undeserving arrogance and overbearing attitude?

Maybe I'm wrong about everything. I just haven't been shown any evidence that A. Vegan Holocaust were a terrible band that only existed to make fun of us and our lifestyle or B. That the idea of being laid back and accepting is somehow detrimental to a scene. Why would you not want to wear a shirt that says Victoria Hardcore on it? What's wrong with being proud of a scene that puts on awesome shows, lets anyone in, is truly accepting, and all about having fun in a safe environment? Why should we bow to the overbearing stereotype of antiquated punk rock music?
Rude Boy Puff

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:
How so? Because you were in Vile Style and not Vegan Holocaust? I really don't get where you're going with this.
Vile Styles was embarrassing. I never liked em ive explained that enough. They were also suppose to be a joke band that played a couple times throw some silly string everyone would smile and go home dirty and END. Problem was they didnt end. Hunter Gatherer was bummed.
Now Vegan Holocaust. What were they trying to be exactly help me out? Did the joke end with the band name? are any of its members vegan? All I can tell its a joke.
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

i think we should make Victoria Hardcore tshirts whos in
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Marks exact reason for starting VS was "Victoria doesn't have any bands right now. We need to start a fun band that gets kids stoked on Van Isle Hardcore." He did just that. All the songs were just about Victoria (hardcore) being fucking awesome. It was a (big) joke, don't get me wrong but in the end he was doing it to try and help Vic Hardcore. I've definitely had kids I've never met or seen at hardcore shows before Vile Style tell me they'd be at the next show. I'm not climbing up on my high horse here, VS was nothing ground breaking or intelligent. Hunter and I make fun of that band more then anyone (although I still thought it was fun) but it was started for a reason.

VH was started by (at the time) kids who weren't apart of the hardcore scene. For the most part, they were just making fun of it. I am incredibly stoked Devlan has kept coming to shows. He is 100% apart of the community (I don't really know peter so I can't say either way) and that's awesome. But VH was more making fun of hardcore, rather then making fun hardcore.

I am done with this argument. As I said before, I liked the band but if no one can see Hunters side I'm surprised. It was a band pretty much making fun of hardcore. I thought it was funny, some won't find the joke funny. The world keeps turning regardless.
Victoria Straight Edge
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

keith. wrote:i think we should make Victoria Hardcore tshirts whos in
fuck, I said I was done in this thread but YES! If only someone still worked at the screen printing shop ;)
Victoria Straight Edge
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:
ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Vile Styles was embarrassing. I never liked em ive explained that enough. They were also suppose to be a joke band that played a couple times throw some silly string everyone would smile and go home dirty and END. Problem was they didnt end. Hunter Gatherer was bummed.
Now Vegan Holocaust. What were they trying to be exactly help me out? Did the joke end with the band name? are any of its members vegan? All I can tell its a joke.
Who forced them to play all these shows? I'm really curious.
Rude Boy Puff

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

I already stated I never heard VH Im stating their name is wack.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Jordan f. wrote:
ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Marks exact reason for starting VS was "Victoria doesn't have any bands right now. We need to start a fun band that gets kids stoked on Van Isle Hardcore." He did just that. All the songs were just about Victoria (hardcore) being fucking hella super duper. It was a (big) joke, don't get me wrong but in the end he was doing it to try and help Vic Hardcore. I've definitely had kids I've never met or seen at hardcore shows before Vile Style tell me they'd be at the next show. I'm not climbing up on my high horse here, VS was nothing ground breaking or intelligent. Hunter and I make fun of that band more then anyone (although I still thought it was fun) but it was started for a reason.

VH was started by (at the time) kids who weren't apart of the hardcore scene. For the most part, they were just making fun of it. I am incredibly stoked Devlan has kept coming to shows. He is 100% apart of the community (I don't really know peter so I can't say either way) and that's hella super duper. But VH was more making fun of hardcore, rather then making fun hardcore.

I am done with this argument. As I said before, I liked the band but if no one can see Hunters side I'm surprised. It was a band pretty much making fun of hardcore. I thought it was funny, some won't find the joke funny. The world keeps turning regardless.
OH NOES! SOMEBODY OUTSIDE OF OUR CLIQUE IS GIGGLING AT US!
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

id be down for pitching in on a batch or something. get some nice simply shirts done up. maybe sell a few to raise money for the fest at shows?
Rude Boy Puff

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:
ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Who forced them to play all these shows? I'm really curious.
I dont speak for hunter. That of VS is a fact
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

keith. wrote:id be down for pitching in on a batch or something. get some nice simply shirts done up. maybe sell a few to raise money for the fest at shows?
Years ago there were Van Isle Hardcore shirts. They were dope! A new design should be done up.
Victoria Straight Edge