Wanna be in a band?

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Re: Wanna be in a band?

Post by Tambro »

Promises would probably be stoked to come play Van, the issue I've always had, is since Van only wants Vic bands as openers, we never get paid, despite having the exact same costs as a Vancouver band coming to Victoria. I understand that we may not have the hugest draw, but Promises definitely has past members of fairly successful hardcore bands, however shelling out ferry/gas money to open in Vancouver when in my experience, people have rarely given a fuck, is kind of hard to convince yourself to do.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

Tambro wrote:Promises would probably be stoked to come play Van, the issue I've always had, is since Van only wants Vic bands as openers, we never get paid, despite having the exact same costs as a Vancouver band coming to Victoria. I understand that we may not have the hugest draw, but Promises definitely has past members of fairly successful hardcore bands, however shelling out ferry/gas money to open in Vancouver when in my experience, people have rarely given a fuck, is kind of hard to convince yourself to do.

that sucks ... if i was a promoter in vancouver i would pay for your costs....

or maybe i would be some jaded promoter who rarely books cause i live in vancouver....

anyways i was also going to reply to this thread to say basically what peter said.. as i know they have told me in the past the reason they formed a band.. but he said it better as i would have been trying to remember small points..

yeahhhhh
i like bands
i like hardcore
shirts are cool

dev start a band!
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Mikey
VIHC Poster

Post by Mikey »

I would pay as much as infinity dollars for such a Victoria Hardcore shirt.
Can some of them say "Posi Crew '10" or something, on the back? It has been along time since Posi Crew '92.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

this thread is mind boggling, but it was a funny read: "oh shit, a joke thread? get out of hardcore [message board]!"

SHIRTS
VIVA like
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

if shirts arnt feesable lets make patches. not sure who, b ut im sure someone could whip up a simple design
Mikey
VIHC Poster

Post by Mikey »

I am fully committed to having shirts made. At the very least I'll make myself one, I think I have a home silk screen kit or whatever. The front will say Van Isle Hardcore, the back will say POSICREW '10 "I WILL BURY YOU"
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."
Jordan f.
Smoke Weed, Hail Satan

Post by Jordan f. »

Victoria Straight Edge
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

Mikey wrote:I would pay as much as infinity dollars for such a Victoria Hardcore shirt.
Can some of them say "Posi Crew '10" or something, on the back? It has been along time since Posi Crew '92.
fuck yes you me and jordan can wear this version
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

Tambro wrote:Promises would probably be stoked to come play Van, the issue I've always had, is since Van only wants Vic bands as openers, we never get paid, despite having the exact same costs as a Vancouver band coming to Victoria.
Then we should do something to remedy this, no?
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

KYLESTYLE wrote:this thread is mind boggling, but it was a funny read: "oh shit, a joke thread? get out of hardcore [message board]!"
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
aidan
VIHC Poster

Post by aidan »

I think this is kind of response to anyone who didn't like what VH was all about.. I still like you. I get that you think that we were impeding on what your idea of "hardcore" is and that wasn't really our intention. Well, it kind of was with the name. How is it okay to tell someone (in seriousness) that they aren't welcome because of their pants? That sort of catapaulted Devlan, Peter and Myself into creating a band and going hard for the year. Really, our intention was to play as fast and hard as we could, and I think that's how a lot of early aggressive bands started. We just had a little bit more fun and in the end we even had a few people singing along at our last show. Thanks Keith. Thanks Amanda. We invited anyone who wanted to play bass, to play bass with us and we released our own double disc. I think that took what could've been labelled "a joke hardcore band" a huge step further than it could've gone, and I'm going to tell anyone who didn't like us to give that record a listen because I still think it's legit good. It's not really "standard hardcore" at all, it's grimy and full of live off the floor shreds.

Also, I get it, I don't really go to a lot of hardcore shows and I never did. I still like what hardcore and punk represents for millions of people. I still respect your straightedge or non-straightedge ideals, I decided not to indulge for 19 years at one point myself and I was never part of the hardcore scene. I still love the shit out of Troy and Tyler and all the work and effort they put into keeping a piece of Victoria alive. Even you too; Willa, Keith, Nick, Amanda, Ebony. I don't know that many dudes, I'm just as shy as ever. Also, Beat Kids. Miss those guys. Fun. Love fun.

I guess I'm also a little disappointed because Hunter ultimately didn't like VS or VH. And I actually really liked VS. Hari and I went to school and he knew a tonne about punk rock and cutting your own hair, and I think that he's a pretty fun dude.

So, in closing, I'm starting another band that has nothing to do with hardcore at all. But I think I'm going to base a lot of the lyrical content off of Comeback Kid, Grave Maker, and maybe even Kylesa.
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

aidan wrote: So, in closing, I'm starting another band that has nothing to do with hardcore at all. But I think I'm going to base a lot of the lyrical content off of Comeback Kid, Grave Maker, and maybe even Kylesa.

this intrigues me haha
Victoria Straight Edge
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

Dear promises,
Call in some favors from Vancouver bands you played with on the island. Damages got a great show out of you, so they can return the favor. Same with Slingshot even if you didnt play that show. Hardcore is give and take.

Everyone else paraphrasing me without reading what Ive had to say, please get bent.
xchadx
notable fraudster/loser nerd/homophobe

Post by xchadx »

Last edited by xchadx on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXX
soxfullanikkels
VIHC Poster

Post by soxfullanikkels »

I just wanted to know if someone wanted to play drums.
Calm The Fuck Down.

Also, CBC, Gravemaker and Kylesa? How did I not know about this? You need to call me more often, Knight.
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

soxfullanikkels wrote: Calm The Fuck Down.

Noted.

I'm going to ask Tyler right now to remove my Moderator status. This thread made me sad and angry all at once, and I'm sick of being involved in something this stupid. This board wasn't started for friends to start fights amongst themselves, and I'm angry most of all at myself for allowing/participating in something like that.

Consider this my official notice, I quit.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

YOU CAN'T QUIT!

I accidentally just read the entire thread. the only part I don't get is when people said VH were making fun of hardcore. I remember VH starting because Aidan came to hardcore fest and got totally stoked on starting a hardcore band. I think that's the reasoning for Mt Crushmore too, though that band might not be up many of our alleys. I don't think anyone was making fun of anyone or anything. people who don't go to all the hardcore shows are suddenly not allowed to start a fun hardcore band? sharks are awesome! both bands' (VH and VS) lyrics are about fun things. VH never attacked anyone other than like... hitler.

if VH had songs like "two stepping is for idiots" and "I bet you'll mosh to this while the lyrics make fun of your shorts" and "hardcore family? at least my family kept our arguing off the internet, amirite?" then... yeah, that might be making fun of hardcore. hey, anyone want to start THIS band?
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

No, really, I'm seriously done with this. Just remove my status, I might pop on once in a while here or there, but I'm too busy, and too fed up with it. The internet once again makes me like myself. Good work.

Tyler, good goddamn points and I wish I had thought of them sooner. Oh well, arguments over and we're all sulking in our corners. Time to take my ball and go home.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
tylerp
Site Admin

Post by tylerp »

alright, I've taken your badge. enjoy civilian life. I took zach's too because I like the idea of new people doing it after a while because that's fun! and I gave it to troy because he'll actually update the upcoming shows and jordan because he's in austrailia and that's hilarious. next up... gibas and keith? oh god.

I'm just realizing that maybe I should have asked zach first? what do you think? I never know how to do things...with people... but making him a moderator was just as spontaneous and it's not like it's an actual important role, just something fun.

*edit: zach is BACK!
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂
aidan
VIHC Poster

Post by aidan »

Woah, when did this get so real? Willa. Love you man. Dev. Love you too, I really was hoping to see that Globetrotters jersey. Posi-vibes.