heartlessatbest
Probably not a spambot

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by heartlessatbest »

dalamar501 wrote:
heartlessatbest wrote:
dalamar501 wrote:
heartlessatbest wrote:Name: Devin
Favourite bands: blink-182, NFG, Set Your Goals, Four Year Strong, Misery Signals, Daggermouth, Fireworks, The Wonder Years
My band: Don't have one. I'm a promoter.
being a promoter rules don't you think
I feel as though this statement is dripping in sarcasm.. but I actually like promoting! Haha.

yeah i guess it could be but i am not a jaded promoter at all its my favourite thing i have going. Everything else in my life has kind went to shit in the last bit starting to look good again but putting on shows has been a blast i have brought some prodigious bands to town some of my personal favs too so always cool. Also cool getting thanked on bands records.
hah
oh!! well that's awesome =) yeah. i think it's a lot of fun, i enjoy doing it and hope to continue doing it..!
heartlessatbest
Probably not a spambot

that was meant to say "awesome"... not "astonishing"... i have no idea why i would have said that.
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

heartlessatbest wrote:that was meant to say "astonishing"... not "astonishing"... i have no idea why i would have said that.
the forum has a word filter....
so whenever you say one word it gets changed to another. haha

How often do you book in nanaimo i always have bands come to town asking if i know of other promoters up there. Everytime i ask Evan from Candlefish he always already has a show and can't do it. But then again most of the bands i get word of are hardcore bands on tour.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
heartlessatbest
Probably not a spambot

dalamar501 wrote:
heartlessatbest wrote:that was meant to say "astonishing"... not "astonishing"... i have no idea why i would have said that.

How often do you book in nanaimo i always have bands come to town asking if i know of other promoters up there. Everytime i ask Evan from Candlefish he always already has a show and can't do it. But then again most of the bands i get word of are hardcore bands on tour.
wow, hey i'm just a big ol' noob. weird.

Evan hardly does shows anymore.. well I shouldn't say HARDLY, but he hasn't done one since November 28th and I don't even know when his next one is.. but I book maybe just about as often as Evan does, but I'd like to book more. I only don't do that many because I don't have a lot of bands who are around here without lineups being extremely repetitive. Plus, the scene in Nanaimo sucks and kids like fairly terrible music up here. IE: Ninjaspy..
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

its true. nanaimo loves funkmetal
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

heartlessatbest wrote:
dalamar501 wrote:

Evan hardly does shows anymore.. well I shouldn't say HARDLY, but he hasn't done one since November 28th and I don't even know when his next one is.. but I book maybe just about as often as Evan does, but I'd like to book more. I only don't do that many because I don't have a lot of bands who are around here without lineups being extremely repetitive. Plus, the scene in Nanaimo sucks and kids like fairly terrible music up here. IE: Ninjaspy..

yeah line ups can get repetitive with using local / island bands. It seemed everytime i tried to pass a tour on to Evan that would have been stoked to have more shows on the island (making it cheaper to get to the island) he was more concerned with a show that had mostly locals / island bands. Not to say anything bad about it was stoked he was doing shows. But yeah by putting on more diverse shows or at least bringing in bands that NO ONE knows and putting them on with a few of the locals will at least change up the shows a bit. But then again i don't really know nanaimo's scene. Only ever been to one show up there and that is either 04 or 05... probably 2005.

stoked you are into booking more shows there.

whoo shows.

You should totally throw off the scene there by getting in contact with bands you want to see play here before their tours announce.
I can help you with border papers if its an american band. and it would be awesome to see some sweet band play nanaimo.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
heartlessatbest
Probably not a spambot

keith. wrote:its true. nanaimo loves funkmetal
We do, and it's horrible... well I don't. But others do.
heartlessatbest
Probably not a spambot

dalamar501 wrote:
heartlessatbest wrote:
dalamar501 wrote:

yeah line ups can get repetitive with using local / island bands. It seemed everytime i tried to pass a tour on to Evan that would have been stoked to have more shows on the island (making it cheaper to get to the island) he was more concerned with a show that had mostly locals / island bands. Not to say anything bad about it was stoked he was doing shows. But yeah by putting on more diverse shows or at least bringing in bands that NO ONE knows and putting them on with a few of the locals will at least change up the shows a bit. But then again i don't really know nanaimo's scene. Only ever been to one show up there and that is either 04 or 05... probably 2005.

stoked you are into booking more shows there.

whoo shows.

You should totally throw off the scene there by getting in contact with bands you want to see play here before their tours announce.
I can help you with border papers if its an american band. and it would be astonishing to see some sweet band play nanaimo.
Man, you have no idea how stoked I'd be on you helping me out with border papers and stuff.

Evan is rad, but yeah, he's a lot about drawing kids. I do use the aspect of who's going to draw a bunch of kids, but I mean... when you're getting the same bands over and over again, they start to lose that draw.. and their relevance in the scene. I dunno.

Stoked that YOU'RE stoked!
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

you love it deep down too keith. Its the nanaimo coming out in you.

heartlessatbest wrote:Man, you have no idea how stoked I'd be on you helping me out with border papers and stuff.

Evan is prodigious, but yeah, he's a lot about drawing kids. I do use the aspect of who's going to draw a bunch of kids, but I mean... when you're getting the same bands over and over again, they start to lose that draw.. and their relevance in the scene. I dunno.

Yeah doing shows based on drawing a lot of kids to me just seems i don't know rubs me the wrong way a bit. I am more about exposing people to new bands, bringing new bands to town etc. Which sometimes it can suck as you lose money on shows but it can also rule as people get stoked or exposed to new bands they have never heard.

ps.
i think we very briefly met at the everyone everywhere show.
were you the girl who was all stoked on Gorilla Biscuits?
I think you were....
but yeah i was the dude with the beard that mentioned the cover show that might happen hopefully some day.
Victoria Straight Edge
heartlessatbest
Probably not a spambot

dalamar501 wrote:

heartlessatbest wrote:Man, you have no idea how stoked I'd be on you helping me out with border papers and stuff.

Evan is prodigious, but yeah, he's a lot about drawing kids. I do use the aspect of who's going to draw a bunch of kids, but I mean... when you're getting the same bands over and over again, they start to lose that draw.. and their relevance in the scene. I dunno.

Yeah doing shows based on drawing a lot of kids to me just seems i don't know rubs me the wrong way a bit. I am more about exposing people to new bands, bringing new bands to town etc. Which sometimes it can suck as you lose money on shows but it can also rule as people get stoked or exposed to new bands they have never heard.

ps.
I think you were....
but yeah i was the dude with the beard that mentioned the cover show that might happen hopefully some day.
Yeah. I mean, I don't like losing money, but you're completely right. Here we have a serious lack of venues, and we can't even do basement/house shows here.

ps.
Yeah, we definitely did! Hahaha.
That's awesome!
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

heartlessatbest wrote:
dalamar501 wrote:

still have a problem here with venues too probably not as bad but yeah
also you can always do house shows just need to find someone that is willing to allow bands to play in their house

ps.
I think you were....
Yeah. I mean, I don't like losing money, but you're completely right. Here we have a serious lack of venues, and we can't even do basement/house shows here.

ps.
Yeah, we definitely did! Hahaha.
That's astonishing!
Victoria Straight Edge
canon.docre
Grey Metal

Post by canon.docre »

heartlessatbest wrote: we can't even do basement/house shows here.
Elaborate.
heartlessatbest
Probably not a spambot

canon.docre wrote:
Elaborate.
No one will ever offer up their basement. Plus, I don't actually know anyone with a legitimate basement.
Someone tried to have a house show once, and it turned into this like, huge party thing and the cops got called and whatever. But yeah. I've never ever been to a house show here. I've heard of them happening, but definitely not for a few years now.
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

heartlessatbest wrote:
canon.docre wrote:
Elaborate.
No one will ever offer up their basement. Plus, I don't actually know anyone with a legitimate basement.
Someone tried to have a house show once, and it turned into this like, huge party thing and the cops got called and whatever. But yeah. I've never ever been to a house show here. I've heard of them happening, but definitely not for a few years now.

You should come down to a house show here. See how we run them and then take people that have house and show them too. You have to treat the house as if you are renting a hall. Rather than a house. Sure allow drinking inside but you really have to crack down on loitering outside, limit the number of people outside. We make sure you are only out back and only if you are smoking. We don't even have a basement we do it in our living room. With the use of all of our mattress to help dampen sound. We make people pay when we have out of town bands and tell people to leave promptly after the show as this is not a party but a venue.

I know i think i heard Kris and richard of white ribs want to try and get a house in the summer and maybe start doing house shows up there. Will see if that works out
Victoria Straight Edge
withdrawal204
VIHC Poster

Post by withdrawal204 »

my name is adam, i play in withdrawal from winnipeg.

since myspace is barren wasteland of weird fucking freaks and mutant teenagers, i try to keep on top of any information in relevant hardcore scenes and keep them informed of whatever dumb shit my band does.

i'm not from victoria or anything, but the show we played there was awesome.

p.s thanks for stealing teney and will.
celebrate the fact that we've seen the back of another black day
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

withdrawal204 wrote:my name is adam, i play in withdrawal from winnipeg.

since myspace is barren wasteland of weird fucking freaks and mutant teenagers, i try to keep on top of any information in relevant hardcore scenes and keep them informed of whatever dumb shit my band does.

thanks for playing here that one time... and then coming back stoked.
Victoria Straight Edge
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

withdrawal204 wrote:my name is adam, i play in withdrawal from winnipeg.

Thanks for owning a sweet Bauhaus shirt.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
CaptainAnarchy
Probably not a spambot

Post by CaptainAnarchy »

Hey, what's up guys. Never actually been to a show out here yet, i just moved from edmonton to nanaimo, and I was hoping to find some good fucking music to see. So if anyone's in my neck of the woods, let me know, it'd be sweet to hook up. Yeah, my username is reference to the anti-flag song about a poser. My attempt at irony. Anyways i'll shut the fuck up. hear from you guys soon.
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

CaptainAnarchy wrote:Hey, what's up guys. Never actually been to a show out here yet, i just moved from edmonton to nanaimo, and I was hoping to find some good fucking music to see. So if anyone's in my neck of the woods, let me know, it'd be sweet to hook up. Yeah, my username is reference to the anti-flag song about a poser. My attempt at irony. Anyways i'll shut the fuck up. hear from you guys soon.
krisribs on here is from nanaimo.

some other posters on here as well can't recall all of their usernames..
Victoria Straight Edge
CaptainAnarchy
Probably not a spambot

Post by CaptainAnarchy »

haha,sounds good. Any shows coming up? All-ages? they keep kicking me out of the cambie. lol