Fucked Up

Moderators: Andrew, dalamar501

Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Re: Fucked Up

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

Just take it as a night to see a hardcore band where if there arent 100 people you wont be short rent for the next month.
At this point Fucked Up need to have a guarantee to keep themselves from getting fucked by promoters and that guarantee would insult us all and wed have to bitch about that instead.
Someone said before try to get an opening slot or try and get an all ages house show for before hand. When they played Van for the first time I they ended up playing 3 shows rather than just the one bar show that was planned.
and god bless us everyone
PaulyHC
STREET BY STREET

Post by PaulyHC »

i plan on calling Damian and asking him to do a secret house show, mark my words [and yes, i have his #]

as for the topics in this thread.

i think they just went the safe route [TIMBRE put on not only their Biltmore show, but the one at Richards as well if im not mistaken]

i dont see it as a slap in the face, althoughj if they dont do a secret all ager, eiother before or after the bar, im gonna be pissed at em, yeah.

that being said, may 12th is gonna be a glorious day, and im pretty sure ill find a way to Converge the follwoinbg day as well
Text message from Troy "honest dude" Lemberg 07-07-2010

"hey do you have any pot for sale"

^^ verbatim
grind/bro
Message me for information on Christian youth groups in Victoria

Post by grind/bro »

PaulyHC wrote: that being said, may 12th is gonna be a glorious day, and im pretty sure ill find a way to Converge the follwoinbg day as well
Dude lets catch a bus with the White Ribs dudes!
tylerp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 pm made a baby hhhehehhh
Hollow
from the makers of infant hair dye

Post by Hollow »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:Settle down, dude. I'm just making conversation and relating my experience.

Ah, that wasn't supposed to be as angry as it sounded. I wrote that after being involved with a wedding all day, so I was tired and not paying attention to how I was phrasing it. Also, I tend to just write angrier than I actually am. If I'm actually pissed, I'll tell you face to face.
Last edited by Hollow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

grind/bro wrote:Image

Psh, I'm WAY out of his league.
ZACH ATTACK wrote:Do drugs. Lots and lots of drugs. The harder the better. Then you'll go from being lonely to wishing that everybody would just fuck off because their a bunch of fucking buzzkills going on about how 'you've got a problem" and they "just want to be their to help you". You don't need any of them. You just need drugs.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

dalamar501 wrote:
keith. wrote:Image

I have not now, nor will I ever, force you to read anything I write. Feel free to ignore me any time you want.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

KYLESTYLE wrote:wait, why the fuck does it matter if it's an out-of-town promoter? and since when is atomique legit? this is really confusing, also i don't care to encourage the direction of this thread, i just don't see the logic in that point...

Okay, in my opinion it's insulting to use an out of town promoter. I see it as "oh, that tiny little burg can't handle how big we are. Better get a promoter from someplace that actually knows what they're doing." That's preeeetty condescending to me. Also, I would never actually say Atomique was a GOOD promotional company, I just wouldn't be overtly offended if FU went with them opposed to an outside promoter. Also, I pretty much just pulled them out of a hat. They were the first larger promotional company I thought of. Probably not the best example, but it still works.

Cool?
Last edited by Hollow on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grungePIG
VIHC Poster

Post by grungePIG »

YAY
dalamar501
Known to his friends as "Troystin Tieber"

Post by dalamar501 »

KYLESTYLE wrote:wait, why the fuck does it matter if it's an out-of-town promoter? and since when is atomique legit? this is really confusing, also i don't care to encourage the direction of this thread, i just don't see the logic in that point...
Atomique isn't the best and i don't agree with somethings they do but they are legit they are local. Dmitri was cool when i have talked to him / we were doing the arts scan. They started doing shows as all ages metal / punk shows in the late 90s supposedly. They have just been doing this for awhile and thus have a lot of the major contacts for this city.

Mostly as a promoter myself I do kind of find it offending to use a Promotion Company that is not based in this city. IT does however make the agent's job a hell of a lot easier as they have to work with less people.... but they get paid to book shows they should take the timeeeeeeee
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

dalamar501 wrote:Mostly as a promoter myself I do kind of find it offending to use a Promotion Company that is not based in this city.
This is pretty much where I'm coming from, too.
Peter
VIHC Poster

Post by Peter »

Hollow wrote:
dalamar501 wrote:Mostly as a promoter myself I do kind of find it offending to use a Promotion Company that is not based in this city.
given how big the band is though, they likely have no control over what companies they use, as its likely all through their agent.

Also, Atomique are great. They've been really, REALLY good to me and my band and I have nothing but great things to say about them.
Tambro
THE BANE THAT SOCIETY DROWNS IN

Post by Tambro »

Atomique is run by one of my best friend's brother, so, backed.
I play bass. I play guitar. I do both poorly. What's up.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

Peter wrote:
Hollow wrote:
given how big the band is though, they likely have no control over what companies they use, as its likely all through their agent.

Also, Atomique are great. They've been really, REALLY good to me and my band and I have nothing but great things to say about them.

I'm gonna call foul on the whole "But it's their agent!" line. I'm gonna have to go with Scott. They hired the guy, they're the ones ultimately responsible for whatever he does. Not angry at the band, as I don't even know if they know what he's up to. But I'm gonna let them know. Might not do anything, but I gotta try.

Glad Atomique have treated you well, though.
ZACH ATTACK
RAP SNACKS

Post by ZACH ATTACK »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:Just take it as a night to see a hardcore band where if there arent 100 people you wont be short rent for the next month.
At this point Fucked Up need to have a guarantee to keep themselves from getting fucked by promoters and that guarantee would insult us all and wed have to bitch about that instead.
Someone said before try to get an opening slot or try and get an all ages house show for before hand. When they played Van for the first time I they ended up playing 3 shows rather than just the one bar show that was planned.
:!:

This must a be a historic first, because I agree with absolutely everything you said here.
I grew wings and a beak just to stay on my feet.
Hollow

Post by Hollow »

ZACH ATTACK wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:Just take it as a night to see a hardcore band where if there arent 100 people you wont be short rent for the next month.
:!:

This must a be a historic first, because I agree with absolutely everything you said here.

I actually agree with this as well. Still gonna tell them I think that using out of town promoters is shitty. Still gonna go and enjoy the show. Fucked Up are still one of my favorite bands.
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

Why are out of town promoters an issue? Is it money? Is it because you want your band to open? Is it stimulating the local promotion economy?

I just don't get it; please explain because i couldn't give a fuck less who promotes it. For huge tours/bands it makes sense to go big (maybe it's not a huge tour, i don't really know).
VIVA like
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

KYLESTYLE wrote:Why are out of town promoters an issue? Is it money? Is it because you want your band to open? Is it stimulating the local promotion economy?

I just don't get it; please explain because i couldn't give a fuck less who promotes it. For huge tours/bands it makes sense to go big (maybe it's not a huge tour, i don't really know).
To me it is more of a no one knows each town better than someone who promotes in that town. They know who to put on the bill, will try to get local talent on the bill to both draw a certain crowd that normally wouldn't attend as well as to expose local kids to bands they may have not known existed on these local shows. It isn't money, maybe very very slightly wanting control of what bands to open and def not stimulating the local promotion economy. Really as i stated locally no one knows how to promote a show in this demographic more than those who do it here all the time. The problem i have with these larger ones is they book outside of their own turf/city to a select few venues. They are doing it all from afar. They won't be at these shows. Everything suddenly becomes a bit less personal.

That being said i can see the advantages to using someone who will book multiple cities for you, it just leaves me a bit annoyed.
Victoria Straight Edge
tylerp wrote: I'm mostly stoked about turning things into money. it's like alchemy.
wolfgang
VIHC Poster

Post by wolfgang »

When bands get to a certain level..it isn't personal anymore. When they "have" to hire someone to book the shows for them...they've pretty much said that they don't care where, when or who they play with...as long as they make X amount of dollars per show. I dunno...if as band doesn't care about where or who they play with...the obviously don't care about the quality of the shows they are playing...and I have a really hard time caring about them. I've booked alot of abnd over the past 15 years...but I won't book a show for someone who has a booking agency working for them. If I can't talk to a member of the band about the show...they can go through someone else. As far as local promoters, etc...and Atomique. I've never seen Atomique put on a show I'd pay to see...don't they insist on selling your merch and taking 15% of sales? And Every local band I know members of who's opened one of their bigger shows..hasn't made any money. Sounds like the opposite of something I'd wanna be dealing with...
KYLESTYLE
VIHC Poster

Post by KYLESTYLE »

Really? It's still about selling out? I used to think that in high school, but is it about the music then, or how d.i.y. underground the band is?
VIVA like
dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

wolfgang wrote:When bands get to a certain level..it isn't personal anymore. When they "have" to hire someone to book the shows for them...they've pretty much said that they don't care where, when or who they play with...as long as they make X amount of dollars per show. I dunno...if as band doesn't care about where or who they play with...the obviously don't care about the quality of the shows they are playing...and I have a really hard time caring about them. I've booked alot of abnd over the past 15 years...but I won't book a show for someone who has a booking agency working for them. If I can't talk to a member of the band about the show...they can go through someone else. As far as local promoters, etc...and Atomique. I've never seen Atomique put on a show I'd pay to see...don't they insist on selling your merch and taking 15% of sales? And Every local band I know members of who's opened one of their bigger shows..hasn't made any money. Sounds like the opposite of something I'd wanna be dealing with...
It is Sugar night club that takes 15% of your merch sales. Which is another reason why Sugar sucks.
Victoria Straight Edge