Re: Van Isle party fest 7, 2011 Get into it

Post by Andrew »

These are all really good pics.
xnoogzx
VIHC Poster

Post by xnoogzx »

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Apparently this movie is really good. So good that they even made a live adaptation.
Also good, and I know this one is good
Summer Wars
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

Down rule

saw them open for sabbath once. they kicked butt.
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

Andrew wrote:Please crop Tyler into his own pic and put this on Watcher's bandcamp.
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
Fish
VIHC Poster

Post by Fish »

I really like to revive a dead topic that's been drawn out far too long, but I didn't have time to post this before, and even though I usually like getting into "discussions" like this on message boards, I feel like I need to leave my opinion here because this is something I was involved in.
New West Crew wrote:Basically what it comes down to is this: did ANYONE who was offended talk to the girl involved to see how she felt about the whole thing? I strongly doubt it, because she seemed petty pissed off that people she'd never met were speaking for her. No one seemed to actually care how the girl actually felt about the whole thing. She didn't seem to feel disrespected until someone felt like they could voice her opinion for her.
I don't believe the sign was intended to "speak for" the girl in the situation. Though some people may have taken it that way, I think the guys meant for it to be a generalized statement about the situation. In fact, if I recall correctly, the sign said that there should be "no toleration of degrading women, or any other form of prejudice" - that isn't to say that the girl felt disrespected, but more so that they felt uncomfortable that the girl or others involved may have been disrespected.

I also agree with Andrew in saying that the sign was the most effective way of publicizing their opinion in a way that would offend the least people. It obviously wasn't an issue they wanted to bring attention to just the band involved, or else they would have merely spoke to the members.
I do not agree with the way certain people (I'm not sure who they were) reacted to the sign, more specifically ripping it up, and some of the things I heard, as others have quoted earlier, such as "save politics for Monday" (not gonna lie, that gave me a good laugh).

That being said, though Horizons' set was nothing special to me, I did enjoy the Blink cover, and I did enjoy the energy they brought to the crowd when they played. I do believe that there was never intent to offend anybody.
I did, however, enjoy Blackwater and Grow a hell of a lot more, but this is also a biased opinion, as I know those dudes a lot better than I know Horizons.

but someone else has probably said it earlier, and more articulately, so you can just ignore this post and keep on posting Kayle's awesome pictures... and pictures of Tyler.
<x><
dustingusbus

Post by dustingusbus »

so i know i said i would only post once, but since it almost went 8 pages i thought i would clear a few things up. i never said the following... "save politics for monday" "within these walls we are all equal" what am i in sick of it all ? i never ripped up a sign. and i most certainly didn't dog any bands that play. i don't hide behind words and there was no secret hidden message in my post. it was fairly straight forward. arms crossed at a show, thats fine. a little head bang/nod isn't a whole lot of effort. i just noticed a lot of people seemed bored. which has always been strange to me whether i am playing a show or attending. i cross my arms lots at shows and sometimes am so into the music all i can really do is nod my head and enjoy. i didnt say you need to go moshzilla on the world. please stop putting words in my mouth people. and like noogz said there really is a huge difference between saying a band sucks and it not being your thing. if someone asks how you feel about a band say what you will, but to flat out say a band sucks is completely ignorant. the 4 men that play instruments in my band are 4 of the most talented individuals i have ever had the chance to play with. if you don't like the music we write that is fine. i don't write music to please you, i write music i want to hear and hopefully some people enjoy it. this is why i will never say a band sucks especially in the hardcore scene. it's supposed to be such an open community which is why it's so easy for people with no musical backround to start a band. it's fun for everyone that has something to say. the girl wasn't offended but apparently some of you were. i have not read one thing on here from a female saying she was bummed about it. and really the girl did it to herself. i probably shouldn't have said what i said but i was taking it in stride and rolling with what was given to me at that moment. you want me to apologize and say what i said was stupid. well that's the closest you will get to that. it was a mistake to assume that people would understand i was joking around and not get butt hurt and extremely sensitive over something so ridiculous. this should only be between us, the girl and the band (or bands?) that made the sign. but since they decided to make a sign instead of confronting me and seeing my silly side there will never be no real dialogue between us. also people are getting too sensitive about the word jock and definitely over using it. noogz and his friend making a joke about the gym and working out isn't a stab at everyone who used the word jock to describe there anger. but seriously the words bro-core and jock i haven't heard since i was in grade 8 and it is very judgmental and ridiculous. i wouldn't consider one person at that fest to be a jock or into "bro-core" whatever the fuck that is .. to wrap it up this is a seriously huge misunderstanding that has went way too fucking far and out of control in so many different ways. i didn't get on the stage with the intention to disrespect women and make people feel uncomfortable. i went up there to have fun and play music i love. i maybe had a little too much fun and/or a little too much to drink. so fuck me. if you can't get with either of those then we have nothing in common and there is no point in us talking or trying to resolve anything. if anyone wants to seriously talk and not just take cheap shots, low blows and general ignorance towards the situation you can hit me up at dustinapacker@gmail.com

ps none of us "chugged beers" in front of the venue. perhaps in the parking lot/in our vehicles but not in front of the venue. and also whoever originally posted the details of the horizons set needs to invest in spell check.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

heyjealousy wrote:
carlsincharge wrote:
stumped. wrote:the steamworks gym membership is like 10 dollars per month, but i could be wrong, as i only had a few seconds to check the board when i was making a delivery there
if you're talking about the steamworks on pender that's on our delivery route, a little heads up...it's not used for working out in the traditional sense http://steamworksonline.com/
this is exactly the workout jakobs wants
;)
gonna do some coke off my doom cannon if you get my drift
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

keith. wrote:
xnoogzx wrote:Really though, have you seen the Funk Vigilante video??? Wow. What's better is that Giles got a picture with him.
post this now
Human-Demise
anyone out there still wishing cattle decapitation sounded like this?

Post by Human-Demise »

plus a vietnom shirt
"hahaha, you were moved, wuss."
Rude Boy Puff
THE YOUTH'S IMMERSED IN POISON

Post by Rude Boy Puff »

I have nothing to contribute to this arguement.

I will say though that I will not have any part in the war on sexism in hardcore until we finish the war on stage potatoes. That's how Hitler lost the WW2.
streetjustice337
Probably not a spambot

Post by streetjustice337 »

Rude Boy Puff wrote:I have nothing to contribute to this arguement.

I will say though that I will not have any part in the war on sexism in hardcore until we finish the war on stage potatoes. That's how Hitler lost the WW2.
Im offended that puffin wasnt in victoria and i couldnt spend another 7 hours at the fox
xnoogzx
VIHC Poster

Post by xnoogzx »

streetjustice337 wrote:
Rude Boy Puff wrote:I have nothing to contribute to this arguement.

Im offended that puffin wasnt in victoria and i couldnt spend another 7 hours at the fox
Agreed. Seeing Puffin in Victoria is always a treat
hellbent

Post by hellbent »

So disappointed to have missed this. Jobs suck.
officespace
VIHC Poster

Post by officespace »

so who is playing next year's fest? Black Flag? The Smiths? Modern Life is War?

-Warren
age of quarrel wrote:No one poser exposes me more than the twins
Andrew
Sea bass

Post by Andrew »

officespace wrote:so who is playing next year's fest? Black Flag? The Smiths? Modern Life is War?

-Warren
Modern Life Is Warren.
stumped.
Prefers ke$ha

Post by stumped. »

having a pre-show cover night would be so killer
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

xJohnnyx wrote:Dood, you have really positive hair!
its been what, 6 or 7 years? this is still funny
heyjealousy
VIHC Poster

Post by heyjealousy »

giles is in a free speech zone!
keith.
Prefers Tide Coldwater

Post by keith. »

jodi and i realized hes wearing the exact same outfit as the president video
xnoogzx
VIHC Poster

Post by xnoogzx »

heyjealousy wrote:giles is in a free speech zone!
BEST PICTURE EVER!